“Dinner menu for £20”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: As the name of South Place Hotel’s new ground floor restaurant might suggest, South Place Chop House takes inspiration from London’s traditional chop houses – marrying good food with engaging service and a great atmosphere. The venue has been given a makeover, with stacks of classic copper pans, artwork by Thorbjørn Andersen and a choice of intimate banquette seating as well as larger, communal tables. At the weekend, this ground floor space becomes a social spot. with bottomless brunches on Saturday and roasts every Sunday with free-flowing wine and gravy. The cooking is skilled and gutsy. A refinement of the conventional 18th Century Chop House style, it’s perfect for contemporary tastes and sensibilities, food you return to: tasty, satisfying and wholesome.
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Very nice restaurant and bar in the south place hotel in London.

Food is very good. Had mussels which were very tasty. I am Southern European and love mussel and can judge about the quality.

It wasn't very crowed so the waiters were friendly and relaxed.

Atmosphere is nice and music not too loud.

Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Raphael B,

Thank you so much for providing us with some positive feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed a more British take on mussels as well as the service and atmosphere in the restaurant. Please do not hesitate to make any further bookings directly through me at jackc@southplacehotel.com and I will make sure you are very well looked after.

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Pleasant but rather overpriced breakfast. Orange juice an extra £4 plus service which seemed rather overpriced, whilst a small pot of green tea (just a tea bag plus hot water) was £4.50 plus service. Waiters were good, but the bill lady was rather over zealous

1  Thank David H
Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear D H,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your breakfast with us at 3 South Place. I am sorry to read that you felt that we were "overpriced'. We pride ourselves on using fresh organic locally sourced produce which is sometimes reflected in the price of certain items. We feel as though our prices are particularly competitive for the area whilst maintaining a high standard. Please do not hesitate to make any further booking directly through me at jackc@southplacehotel.com and we will have a complimentary glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or Champagne waiting for you on arrival.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Enjoyed a function in a private dining room. Service was efficient and food met expectations and was tasty. The hotel bar was fairly hectic and could do with a draught beer. Wine list was ok but not great.

SamuelPollard, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear JonnersB

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and I am so glad you enjoyed your private dining experience with us. On behalf of everyone at South Place Hotel have a very Merry Christmas and hopefully we will see you back in the new Year.

Kind regards

Sam Pollard

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked this restaurant for my birthday and a medium sized group. The attitude of the staff was just appauling and it was quickly picked up by the group. The waitress slammed the bread on the table, was constantly giving smirky and unwelcoming looks when asked a question and the food was less than impressive (undercooked chicken). This hostess spent her time shuffling between the table and the manager of the day, whispering and pointing along with several smirky looks.

Whilst settling the bill, the manager on the day began to raise her voice at me about organisation, i advised her that i didn not want any confrontation as it was my birthday her response was 'this is not McDonalds'. At this point i walked away and quickly gathered my group to leave. To make such a comment to a PAYING customer on their birthday is an ALL TIME LOW!

This was the most unwelcoming place i have ever been to, the staff do not know how to deal with large groups and on a special occasion such as this, i have never regretted more booking this restaurant.

The atmosphere and ambiance is lovely and having walked past there several times i was very excited to be visiting. This place is let down by the disgusting attitude of the staff and i wouldnt reccomend this place to anyone.

3  Thank Es147859
SamuelPollard, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback following your meal on Saturday, although it is with great regret that I read your comments compounded by the fact that it was your birthday.

This is something I would like to follow up directly as it is completely out of character of any of my staff so could you please provide me with a contact number and I will call you to discuss your experience. My email address is samp@southplacehotel.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Samuel Pollard

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I visited the South Place Hotel with my wife and two friends after we'd had a day in London going up The Shard (another very worthwhile thing to do!). We'd booked a table in the bar & grill at South Place because it was close to Liverpool Street Station, from where we were returning home.
The whole experience was excellent. The staff were kind and attentive. We were given a free glass of wine as we sat down. We chose to eat from the £20 for two courses menu, and we were not disappointed. I ate a warm smoked mackerel Caesar salad, followed by smoked haddock on potatoes with a poached egg on top. It was all lovely 'comfort food. My companions all had a duck main which looked and smelled terrific. We chose a £20 Chilean red wine which was very tasty.
I'd recommend this place to anyone visiting London, who wants good honest tasty food, especially if you're travelling from Liverpool Street station which is only two minutes walk away.

Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear GuyB698,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback regarding our set menu. Head Chef Pieter Fitz-Dreyer puts a lot of time and thought into constructing an ever changing seasonal set menu, so all the team find such kind words incredibly rewarding.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at jackc@southplacehotel.com next time you would like to make a booking. You must come and try our new Festive menu.

Kindest regards,