“Worst Experience Ever!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: As the name of South Place Hotel’s new ground floor restaurant might suggest, South Place Chop House takes inspiration from London’s traditional chop houses – marrying good food with engaging service and a great atmosphere. The venue has been given a makeover, with stacks of classic copper pans, artwork by Thorbjørn Andersen and a choice of intimate banquette seating as well as larger, communal tables. At the weekend, this ground floor space becomes a social spot. with bottomless brunches on Saturday and roasts every Sunday with free-flowing wine and gravy. The cooking is skilled and gutsy. A refinement of the conventional 18th Century Chop House style, it’s perfect for contemporary tastes and sensibilities, food you return to: tasty, satisfying and wholesome.
London, United Kingdom
“Worst Experience Ever!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I booked this restaurant for my birthday and a medium sized group. The attitude of the staff was just appauling and it was quickly picked up by the group. The waitress slammed the bread on the table, was constantly giving smirky and unwelcoming looks when asked a question and the food was less than impressive (undercooked chicken). This hostess spent her time shuffling between the table and the manager of the day, whispering and pointing along with several smirky looks.

Whilst settling the bill, the manager on the day began to raise her voice at me about organisation, i advised her that i didn not want any confrontation as it was my birthday her response was 'this is not McDonalds'. At this point i walked away and quickly gathered my group to leave. To make such a comment to a PAYING customer on their birthday is an ALL TIME LOW!

This was the most unwelcoming place i have ever been to, the staff do not know how to deal with large groups and on a special occasion such as this, i have never regretted more booking this restaurant.

The atmosphere and ambiance is lovely and having walked past there several times i was very excited to be visiting. This place is let down by the disgusting attitude of the staff and i wouldnt reccomend this place to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Es147859
SamuelPollard, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback following your meal on Saturday, although it is with great regret that I read your comments compounded by the fact that it was your birthday.

This is something I would like to follow up directly as it is completely out of character of any of my staff so could you please provide me with a contact number and I will call you to discuss your experience. My email address is samp@southplacehotel.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Samuel Pollard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cambridge
“Best £20's Worth Ever!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I visited the South Place Hotel with my wife and two friends after we'd had a day in London going up The Shard (another very worthwhile thing to do!). We'd booked a table in the bar & grill at South Place because it was close to Liverpool Street Station, from where we were returning home.
The whole experience was excellent. The staff were kind and attentive. We were given a free glass of wine as we sat down. We chose to eat from the £20 for two courses menu, and we were not disappointed. I ate a warm smoked mackerel Caesar salad, followed by smoked haddock on potatoes with a poached egg on top. It was all lovely 'comfort food. My companions all had a duck main which looked and smelled terrific. We chose a £20 Chilean red wine which was very tasty.
I'd recommend this place to anyone visiting London, who wants good honest tasty food, especially if you're travelling from Liverpool Street station which is only two minutes walk away.

• Visited November 2013
Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear GuyB698,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback regarding our set menu. Head Chef Pieter Fitz-Dreyer puts a lot of time and thought into constructing an ever changing seasonal set menu, so all the team find such kind words incredibly rewarding.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at jackc@southplacehotel.com next time you would like to make a booking. You must come and try our new Festive menu.

London, United Kingdom
“Stylish restaurant in the City”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had lunch here earlier this week with some friends and we were all very impressed.
I've been here before for drinks and always love the atmosphere and the very stylish interiors - they have the most fabulous lighting and this really adds to the atmosphere whatever the time of day. Very few restaurants get this so right.
We ate in the ground floor restaurant with a table by the window - but also rather closer to the door for my liking but it wasn't a problem.
We were well looked after by our waiter who explained the menu and was attentive without being irritating. When the food arrived it was all excellent and we couldn't fault anything.
My only comment would be that we thought the wine list a bit on the pricy side but then in London this is normal now. When we came to leave at 4.15pm there were no waiters in sight so I had to go to the front desk to ask for the bill but this was delivered promptly and dealt with very efficiently.
We had a very enjoyable meal and I would highly recommended it whatever the time of day.

• Visited December 2013
Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Mark T,

It is absolutely fantastic to read such encouraging feedback from your visit to 3 South Place. Being a design hotel a lot of thought was put into the interior design of the restaurant so to know it is being well received makes us very proud. It is also great to read that you felt well looked after and you enjoyed the food.

Please contact me directly at jackc@southplacehotel.com the next time you would like to make a booking and let me know if you would like some additional information on the spider lights.

Kindest regards
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good breakfast venue”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Good menu & service, reasonably priced. Clean. Sofas (as in most restaurants where they are opposite chairs across the table) are to be avoided - sink into them and then eye levels are totally different. Would certainly go back.

I do recognise the other comment about the weird configuration where the revolving door takes one straight into the restaurant - luckily we weren't next to it!

• Visited November 2013
Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear PAUL E,

Thank you so much for providing us with some excellent feedback on your breakfast. It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed both the food and service at the restaurant. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jackc@southplacehotel.com next time you would like to make a booking at 3 South Place and I will certainly make sure that you are not sat on a sofa table.

Germany
“Best place for business lunch in Moorgate”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a very nice place for a business lunch. The chips are just amazing. I also enjoyed the scallops starter, the black cabbage and - of course - the steak was great, too. The knives could be more sharp, but I guess that might be a measure to make sure nobody gets hurt after the third pint or so. Service is great. It's lively but not too loud to have a conversation.

• Visited November 2013
Jack C, Manager at South Place Chop House, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Frankie-the-Hun,

Thank you so much for providing us with such positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed both the food and service at 3 South Place and we are all incredibly proud you have declared us the 'Best place for business lunch in Moorgate'. Please do not hesitate to make any further booking directly through me at jackc@southplacehotel.com and I will make sure that you are very well looked after.