“Excellent meal would highly recommend”
Review of Yamas - CLOSED

Yamas
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal would highly recommend”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good service, good food, friendly staff hope to return at some point in the future. Food quality was excellent

Visited June 2013

London
“Nice food, but expensive”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Kind of a mixed experience at this restaurant. Tucked down a side road off of the Crystal Palace triangle I have overlooked this restaurant for a few years now, but after giving it a go I think it will likely stay on my radar.

I did enjoy my food, but I did feel that it was very overpriced for what it was. Almost nouveau cuisine, I was expecting a little bit more food, although it was very well presented. The staff were also well presented but one stank of cigarette smoke which was quite offputting.

The thing I found strange about this restaurant is that although the food looked posh and was very well presented I don't think it matched the almost tacky decoration of the restaurant itself. With gaudy coloured lights and wooden walls I can see they are going for the Caribbean feeling, but the food just looks so out of place.

However the food was tasty but I would have appreciated a little bit more of it. It did unsettle my stomach a little bit though because there are lots of strong flavours, and I didn't enjoy my chocolate cake massively, but I suppose that's a person thing.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank katandko
London, United Kingdom
“Booking complaint - unreliable and unacceptable”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This restaurant is in South East London and not in Nottingham . The website states that the restaurant - winebar , accessible through a small unassuming poky door in a side street, has hours of operation of Sunday - Thursday: 11.00 - 00.30 Friday - Saturday: 11.00 -02.00 Monday- Close. However it only opens when there are booked clients, which in practice seems to means evening time. Having booked a table for 4 for Saturday 1pm , both through the website email, plus a telephone call , on arrival the place was found to be firmly closed, and we had to find an alternative place to eat. A subsequent phone call ( to the owner) revealed that it is only open if they have booked clients. Their email is not reliable as one was sent yet not received , nor subsequently was the receptionist taking and confirming booking correctly the phone. The owner’ s attitude to a polite subsequent conversation was is that he ' didn't give a monkeys' about his lack of organization, and his conversation seemed to revolve around him. I had bought a couple of Wowcher vouchers that I can now cannot use, but then, ... would I want to now ? However acceptable the food may be, the level of distain experienced nolonger makes it attractive ! I would suggest new clientele think twice before booking !

• Visited May 2013
6 Thank johnparmig
London, England, United Kingdom
“Size doesn't always matter”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Despite the negative reviews posted here on this site by other diners, we actually liked this place. Ok so it's not one of these big fancy restaurants in central London but what it lacks in size and décor it more than makes up for in food and service . Our waitress was more than helpful yet respected our privacy, the food was that kind of quality that you find in a small family owned business and not in a food chain with its large and pretentious offerings and the music provided definitely set the mood for a good evening. The only negative that I could find to say was about the location and that's to no fault of this diamond in the ruff, so please go with an open mind and enjoy what this restaurant has to offer that a lot of these others cant.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“This restaurant is hopeless”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I can't help writing my first restaurant review as I have never experienced anything like this. We called on Sat to ask for a reservation on the same day. We were told that was full but they would reseve a table for us at 7pm on Sun. They even asked us for our name and contact number. On Sun we arrived on time, the waitress said our name was not on the booking and she was very sure that it was she who tallked to us over the phone on Sun (but actually it was Sat), and she already told us it was full on Sun as well. If we misunderstood over the phone, why didn't she call back and try to make a reservation on another day for us? We questioned. But she insisted she never asked for our contact. And then she suggested us to come on another day!
Now the manager came over and it's more outrageous as she requested us to show our phone record, in order to prove which day and what time we called! After it's proved that we called on Sat, and there was no point that we showed up on Sun night if we were told it was full over the phone, the manager tried to ask us to come another day. Since we bought a voucher which was going to expire the next day, and it took us an hour to get there from home, we politely suggested we could wait. Surprisingly, the manager said they were running out of food!! That was 7pm and how could it happen in a restaurant? If this is not an excuse, this restaurant has a huge problem. And very interestingly, at this moment, the waiter came over to swear, 'fxxk, you are not the only person in the restaurant!" How dramatic it is. And more funny is that, the owner showed up and said they had customers to serve. The only thing we could do was to leave that horrible place.
I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless you would like to try something totally out of your imagination.

• Visited June 2013