“Should be 5/5 at this price, so what's wrong?”

Dorset Square Hotel
Ranked #270 of 1,067 Hotels in London
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Should be 5/5 at this price, so what's wrong?”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

When you're paying this much for a room, you'd expect, no demand, a 5/5 score. But I'm not going to give Dorset square that. It falls slightly short.
Like other reviewers here, we have stayed at all the other firmdale hotels and have become accustomed to their style. We love it. Quirky, thoughtful, inspirational and exciting springs to mind. When a new one opens it's so exciting to see what they've come up with this time. You won't be dissappointed, the design and the build quality ( the highest finish ) is just what we've come to expect. The service is wonderfully friendly with a lovely professional balance between formal and informal.
We had lunch in the potting shed basement and delighted in the menu and the quality of the cooking. Like the surroundings, its inventive and exciting. Loved the cups that illuminate in patterns showing words that form cricket related sentences. The bed is sumptuous, with crisp cold heavy sheets that wreak quality. Why can't I ever get my towels at home this soft?

I have three whinges. The room was small. Really small. (And we were upgraded!)
There's no bath.
You have to pay for wifi.

It's ok to need to cram rooms in to make economic sense but you can't charge the same rate in that case. At this price, you need to offer a bigger room, it's just too dear.

No bath, again at this price you expect a bath. You can drop the size of the room and drop the bath but you need to drop the price too, hence no 5 stars.

Then to charge for wifi - that's a real bug bear of mine. In 2012, where the Internet has become so ubiquitous, it seems really outrageous to charge for access, especially at this room rate. What's next? An electric meter? So Kit, I hope you read this and get your policy to the Internet up to date as your decor. It should be part of the fixture and fittings these days. Not cool.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ESilvester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

No we're not at Lords cricket ground but the nearby newly opened Dorset Square Hotel, with its cricket memorabilia surrounding us. As fans of the other hotels in this group we had popped in to have a look around and a bite to eat.

Small but perfectly formed, the Firmdale tradition of style and quirkiness has been retained. Don't let the thought of heading into a basement restaurant put you off either...a clever use of space opened up by a generous sky light enables one to look up at the passing Londoners above where helpful, knowledgeable and friendly staff were on hand.

The bar menu offers reasonably priced delicious food, a short walk from the foodie Mecca of Marylebone High Street. A great place for a relaxing afternoon tea which could be had in the small drawing room. Service was impeccable, with some lovely after dinner treats and surprises in store.

A small gem, in a great location for transport at nearby Baker Street Underground or Marylebone mainline stations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Cyclesforcakes
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

This is the 4th time I've stayed in this hotel, which given its only been open a few weeks shows a certain level of loyalty. Unfortunately that loyalty is waning quickly.

The hotel is very nicely designed, and the location is great for those who prefer to be north of the city - easy for the West End, Regents Park, Marylebone etc (and good transport - roads and tube). Also the potting shed restaurant is nice enough for lunch and breakfast.

So now the problems:

Service - I stayed here on their first or second day of opening, and service was poor (forgotten requests, staff not used to systems, door handle came off in my hand, that kind of thing) - but I gave them credit that it would improve. The second time I was with my wife going to an event and we requested early check in so we could change. The room wasn't ready when we arrived but we were told it would be shortly. We had lunch. Still not ready. We had coffees. Still not ready. Finally it was ready 1.5 hrs later - and when we walked in there was a photography crew taking photos in the room, so we had 15 minutes to move to another room and get ready. When we returned from the event the front door was locked and the bell broken so we stood on the street knocking on the door for five minutes. I arrived last night for my 4th visit - the staff didn't show any interest in the fact I was returning and the welcome was verging on non-existent. Service is basically poor and not improving.

Rooms - the lower end rooms are very small but nicely designed (we also stayed in one of the higher end rooms and that was a reasonable size). But I'm writing from this from Room 107, and you don't want this room! I arrived late, checked the room and immediately asked to change it - but the hotel was full. It's ridiculously small (see photos), which I could live with except for two things: (1) the room is directly on a bus route (see photos) and I've been awake since 5.45 am listening to the buses, and a rubbish truck outside my window; (2) there is no hanging space - so my suit trousers are draped on the back of the chair and my jacket on the back of the door. I'm sorry but that's simply not acceptable...

I have a booking in September which I'm going to cancel - I would avoid this place until Firmdale fix it.

• Stayed August 2012
12 Thank AlexSmith75
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel only opened last month so i booked a night to try it out. It is a great small boutique hotel with many great quirky features. The service was wonderful and the breakfast divine. Only downside was the bedroom was rather small which didn't really matter to me. Location is also good being in walking distance of many decent restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Chesterdoggerel
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here with my wife on the night of July 11th, about three weeks after the hotel had opened.

Good points:

1. Very clean (as you'd expect), and everything still smells new.
2. Fast check-in, although not early check-in as we'd requested - and as I thought we'd get mid-week.
3. Great little restaurant downstairs and the food is well priced for Central London - £12 for lunch main course, £5-8 for breakfast. Excellent service too.

Bad points:

1.For £300/night I really expect to have WiFi thrown in. Don't be so cheap, Firmdale.
2. I also expect a room slightly larger than the stamp-sized one we got. Got a cat? Leave it at home, because there won't be room to swing it.
3. When were leaving, the doorman was told to go and get us a Taxi. So outside we went, and he was nowhere to be seen. We waited five minutes, and he was still nowhere to be seen. So we walked to the Tube station instead, because there were no taxis to be had. Seriously, tell me where you're going, doorman - don't just run off and expect my physic abilities to help me out.
4. Thinking of bringing your own car? I wouldn't.

Honestly, next time I'm in London I'll probably stay somewhere else, but that's only because there is such a choice of hotels in this price range (once the price fixing/hiking affair that is London 2012 is over and done with).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank youaremessedup
Kent
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We have stayed at several of the Firmdale hotels and so were keen to try another. As this hotel has just opened I will try and give a fair and generous assessment.
What I liked:
Great shower, deep comfortable bed, Lefroy Brooks bathroom, nice gift of massage oil, decor of potting shed restaurant, lovely wallpaper in entrance area, large flat screen tv.
What I didn't like:
Difficult to arrive by car - hotel is on a corner with double red lines outside and no drop off space. Porter was off sick so parked car ourselves in local car park but managed to get lost in one way system due to tight car park entrance. Car park is £48 for 24 hours and hotel charges 10% on top if they park the car. On departure same problems with loading car - there are traffic wardens regularly in this area due to double red lines.
Expensive room rate for the location and size of room - dull decor in room, garden view room is actually room overlooking the dual lane road with a public garden on the other side of the road. No DVD player available or access to films
Location is not ideal - I thought that it was closer to Marylebone High Street but it is off Marylebone Road which is not so nice
Breakfast - we asked for a room rate including breakfast - this turned out to include English Breakfast which means a cooked breakfast and does not include anything else eg the normal continental breakfast. If you want anything else you have to pay extra. This is such a tightfisted policy and very short sighted. Who wants to argue over toast being an extra? See my recent review of the much better Coworth Park hotel - for lower overall rates they include the most amazing breakfast in an incredible hotel. In most hotels breakfast inclusive means exactly that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LAW64
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just opened. Very clean, well appointed and in a great location. Staff very helpful and enthused. Though I was on the square side with a view, the street noise was very tolerable and hardly noticed. Would defn stay again. Regent's park early in the morning is a great experience for jogging, walking etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo