“Dreadful”

easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Ranked #759 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We checked in for a two-night stay at the beginning of June and only ended up staying the one night before moving to alternative accommodation.

We were prepared for the small room and lack-of-window.

What we weren't prepared for was the bathroom flooding into the bedroom, the air-conditioning not working at all (especially on a 25-degree day), the bathroom door handle coming off in our hands, the bedroom door not closing properly unless being properly shoved from the inside (not great when trying to pull it closed from the outside) and the hotel staff caring so very little about all of this.

I'm currently trying to get hold of someone... anyone... at EasyHotel to discuss a refund, but they are proving a tad elusive.

My advice... pay the extra tenner and go somewhere (anywhere) else!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uktrucker
There are newer reviews for easyHotel Old St / Barbican

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Very nervous at booking this hotel as it does not have great feed back. Stayed here for 3 nights as my usual London hotels were full. In a nutshell this hotel was cheap, clean and delivered exactly what was described on "the can" - nothing more or less.

The room was clean and the bed gave me an excellent night's sleep. The shower was top quality and made me feel refreshed. The bed sheets were never changed or made up during our stay but had the option as an extra charge.

The staff were excellent and helpful. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank greenleader1984
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is ideal for a short stay. the rooms are clean and the bed was comfortable, and for £40 a night in central(ish) London I have no complaints. I chose an interior room i.e one with no windows. Next time I'll book a room with a view but otherwise all was okay. Plenty of towels, fluffy pillows and loads of cafes and restaurants close by for breakfast.
I will certainly be staying again.

Room Tip: choose a room with a window!
Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Andy57_13
Reviewed June 12, 2014

When we booked the hotel, we thought, 'it's just for sleeping in'. We didn't plan on spending much time there at all, so what did it matter what the hotel was like? We'd be out enjoying London!

Except the room was so hot that we couldn't even SLEEP there. We pegged the door open with a water bottle, which helped a little, but it was still unbearably hot.
The shower leaked all over the floor as well.

Avoid.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Very reluctantly checked in yesterday after reading the reviews. Check in was quick and easy, could have done with having my room number written down as I'd forgotten before I got to the lift! Slowly open my hotel room door.......... What a pleasant surprise! The bedding, towels and room was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom and shower curtain. Turned on the air con and had lovely cool air instantly. The bed was comfy and I had the choice of a hard and soft pillow, not by design I'm sure! Didn't hear any neighbours or guests in the corridor all night. Paid extra for a window (was feeling flush!) which was the size of the room, pity it hadn't been cleaned as I couldn't see the views of London clearly. After a restful sleep and a (nearly power!) shower the only fault I could find was there was no mirror in the bedroom. That and a shelf at the side of the bed, yes I had 3 sides, you could walk around the bed, for water, mobile etc. On checking out the receptionist advised the are refurbishing the hotel and my room had recently been refurbished (4th floor) so if you are planning on staying in the near future give them a call and request a room on the 4th floor. The cost of the room as £60.00 compared with £185 at the Premier Inn and the only difference was a few more sq feet, a mirror, TV, kettle and hairdryer.

Room Tip: 4th floor recently refurbished
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Wendy G
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I've previously stayed and reviewed this Hotel before. However, I have recently revisited, hence the new review.

I booked at the last minute, and paid for a "Room with a window" which shows the standard and sets expectations of exactly what this Hotel is, even before you arrive. I mean, since when has a window been a luxury?

The room was tiny, and the window has blinds which wouldn't roll up, so despite having a window, it was blocked from view. Not a good show.
The bed was literally the width of the room, so you had to clamor onto it. No room for clothing, bags, etc.
The room also had no TV and no toilet roll.

All in all, a sub standard room. However, it's in London, and for the price, you'd be very hard pushed to find an alternative. That is not to say, that this is a good option.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2014

As others have mentioned, this hotel is even more basic than other easyhotels...we stayed at the London Victoria one and you could actually walk around the bed. The room was as long as the bed and only slightly wider, space becomes even more limited once you put your bag down (glad we travelled with hand-luggage size bags!) You can hear everything happening in the rooms around you and the bathroom leaked under the door when you showered. On the plus side, the limited staff we saw were friendly & helpful and the location is good for the tube.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple