“You get what you pay for..”

and 1 more site!
easyHotel Old St / Barbican
Ranked #669 of 1,089 Hotels in London
STAFFS
“You get what you pay for..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Visited this hotel last week. The room is exactly what I expected, very small and compact but fine for the money we paid for it.
The room is only equipped with a bed, a mirror and a tiny bathroom/toilet but looks very clean and quite modern.
We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights and I would definitely go here again since the price is so low.
I personally think the hotel has everything you need for a city trip. The heating was working fine in our room really warm.
The area is great, it's only about 10 minutes to old street tube station.
I would recommend the hotel for people who are okay with a bit of less luxurious hotels and small spaces but only for a short stay..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adnyuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for one night in February. Found it pleasant. After staying in the other Easy Hotels in London I was was pleasantly surprised by this standard.

The room was large, and although no window, it didn't feel dark as the lighting was more than ample. The bathroom is small but it's what you expect. More than enough floor space which is good.

The heating wasn't brilliant but it was ample.

Despite what another reviewer says, the road isn't heard from all rooms. I couldn't hear a thing other than the neighbours down the corridor. However the mobile signal is non existent which is a problem.

All in all I would return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ryde, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

All the charm of a prison cell, but without the facilities. I knew, for the price, the room wouldn’t have a TV, a window, or tea/coffee etc, but not that it would lack other basics as well. The room consisted of a bed, a rubbish bin, a coat hanger, a mirror, and a toilet/shower cubicle. There were no flat surfaces in the room apart from the top of the rubbish bin and the floor – which is where all your possessions have to go. It was lit by a single, very bright, overhead light. The heating was non-existent, despite being turned up to maximum by the previous occupant. (There was a clue in the name of the heating control – “Heat Miser”). The toilet/shower cubicle was so small that if you sat on the toilet your feet were in the shower tray (shower depression). But best not to sit on the toilet, as the lid and seat fell off.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
2 Thank Disgusted_of_Ryde

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I wasn't looking forward to staying here last night after reading the dreadful reviews but was pleasantly surprised. The receptionist was very helpful when I checked in. I asked if I could hire a hairdryer and he told me unfortunately they didn't have this facility availaible (The Tune hotel you can pay for hairdryer etc) he apologised but obviously this isn't his fault. I understand keeping the cost down and keeping it basic but surely if you wanted to pay extra you could have the choice Stellios? My room was warm, the bed comfortable and the shower hot. I didn't hear the road, although I was around the side, and I didn't hear other guests. Apart from the other half snoring it was a peaceful night. Great value for money and next time I will take my hairdryer!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 2.32 and it was peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Loopyloulounorm
Sliema, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Visited this hotel last week. The room is exactly what I expected, very small and compact but fine comparing to the money we paid for it.
The room is only equipped with a bed, a mirror and a tiny bathroom but looks very clean and quite modern.
We stayed in the hotel for 5 nights and I would definitely go here again since the price is so low and I personally think the hotel has everything you need for a city trip. The heating was working fine in our room and we haven't been cold for a moment. The only thing that was broken was the clothes hanger and the toilet seat.
The downside is that it's very noisy, especially at night. You can hear everything your neighbours do or say so sleeping might be a bit difficult sometimes.
The area is great, it's only about 10 minutes to old street tube station and 5 minutes to barbican. Also there is a nice little breakfast place on the corner of the big roundabout at the end of the street called the grind.
I would recommend the hotel for people who are okay with a bit of less luxurious hotels and small spaces.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maaike H
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is located on Old Street, a very busy road.
No matter where your room is you hear the noise from the road.
Walls are paper thin so you hear your neighbours very clearly. Writing this right now at 1 am listening to rowdy neighbours next door.
The hotel has been converted from typically badly built london office block, never designed for hospitality so you get to hear people above stomping around.
If a good night sleep is low on your list of prioroties while in london then this is the hotel for you!
Stayed at the earls court easyhotel and that was much quieter.
On a more positive note the rooms are a decent size at barbican.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing old street, very noisy
1 Thank bannorman
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked five days at EasyHotel Barbican/Old Street in January. I was in the early stages of planning my trip, so I checked the EasyHotel website to see if the hotel offered a cancellation policy. I read the following:

(b) Cancellations or amendments to your booking must be completed before 3pm on the day prior to your original check-in date. You cannot cancel a booking after this time. Any credit arising as a result of an amendment or cancellation will be credited to your Account minus the Charge. If you cancel or amend your booking after 3pm on the day before your original check-in date, you will not receive any credit for the first night of your booking. If your booking was for more than one night, your Account will be credited (in the currency you paid in) for the amount you paid for any subsequent cancelled night(s), minus the Charge.

At most hotels, a cancellation means that any money paid to reserve the room would be refunded up to certain date. So reading this, I thought this was the case, and that 'account' meant my credit card account - in fact there is no other way to reserve a room at an EasyHotel. Indeed I did end up having to cancel - I needed to stay someplace closer to the venue I was visiting in south London - and I was thus horrified to find after canceling that no money had been refunded to my account. I returned to the website and searched for a contact person to try and clarify what was going on. And it is through this search - and not the terms and conditions - that I discovered that 'account' actually means an account with EasyHotel - which in the above terms and conditions is not at all clear. So now the money charged on my card to reserve the room is now credited to an EasyHotel account, redeemable only by booking within the next twelve months at an EasyHotel.

I tried contacting customer support through the EasyHotel website. Strangely, even though I apparently now have an 'account' at EasyHotel, each time I attempted to send an enquiry, I got an error message. I then attempted to send an email to the CEO himself, Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, since I had no idea who else to contact or how to do so. Not unexpectedly, I have received no response.

I can't say much for EasyHotel accommodations as I have not yet stayed at one of their hotels. But knowing that this company must essentially deceive potential customers in order to make a profit doesn't make me very hopeful. I ended up staying at a Travelodge a mere 60-second walk from Clapham Junction (booked before I realized that the money I had paid EasyHotel was not going to be refunded). I paid about the same as I would have at EasyHotel, and the cancellation policy was made clear on the reservations page and not buried in fine print. Travelodge charges slightly more for refundable bookings and less for nonrefundable bookings, which seems fair enough to me, and the accommodations were decent for a budget hotel. EasyHotel, however, seems to be another cynical example of how businesses take advantage of those of us on tight budgets. Very discouraging.

14 Thank tracyj_bk