“Hidden gem.”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: French Bistro
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I found this place thanks to Tripadvisor. It was amazing. Went there with my friends and had a lovely time. I booked a table for four - honestly the place is a bit small - but that makes it cosy and warm. Almost all the waiters are french so was quite fun practising my skills :D
We ordered everything very French - nice wine, stake tartar, mussels, snails, bread. Amazing food - honestly my friend just came back from Paris and said - that this place is better than there.I was over the moon when we were leaving. The price was really good for what we had. Definiteley coming back again to petit France. ;)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have been to Chez Elles at least 5 times, with friends, family or for a romantic diner. It gets better and better each time ! Staff is so pleasant and the food is amazing - definitely one of the best French cuisine in London. This is my little home sweet home away from home !

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Came here on a Thurs evening with a friend. We did have to run the gauntlet of the Bengali curry house peddlers first but once we arrived it was a world away. The bistro is decorated in a rustic, charming and "cute" way. Very much a French bistro!

Service was great. All our servers were French which just adds to the ambience. Menu is small but interesting. We had starters, mains and shared a dessert. Washed down with some red wine. Food was delicious. Generous and fresh. That I want to go back to try more from the menu says it all and I will.

Cost was £40 a head for our evening which is good value. It is a wonderful place and just the small independent place serving authentic dishes I would love to see more of.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've been coming to this place since it opened and it gets better and better each time. During the winter months it was a warm and inviting place to retreat to get escape the battering wind and rain of our British winter (and summer come to mention it)!

As you walk in there is a small bar where you can sit and watch the world go by in Brick Lane. The decor is gorgeous, very chic. Nadia and Lilli who own the place designed it all themselves and it's a real reflection of them. They also have a great team working for them, customer happiness is key. They have a smile for everyone :-)

So to the food, the menu changes regularly with the seasons , at the moment you'll find Duck Magret in Orange Sauce with dauphine potatoes, the duck cooked perfectly pink and the sauce not overpowering and a perfect foil to the rich meat. Steak tartare with all the trimmings and some of the best homemade chips I've had in any restaurant, Truffle Gnocchi, Moules Marinieres and Steak with Bordelaise sauce. For starters Coquilles Saint Jacque, Crab, Avocado & Salmon tian (my fave), rabbit terrine, French Onion Soup and Snails with garlic and parsley butter

There is always a special on offer, and special it is too. On my last visit I had the Choucroute de la Mer (see photo), an amazing plate of perfectly cooked Red Mullet, Sea Bass, Cod, Cockles, Mussels, Scallop and Clams served on cabbage, leek and potatoes in a light creamy sauce, my only complaint? That is was only available for a week and so I can't have it again for a while!!!

For desert? A fantastic caramelly tarte tartin or creamy Creme Brulee, crepes, or cheese all suitably capped off with an espresso...... and complimentary Haribo!!

The wine list is fab too, with a great select of wines from all regions of France, all from small producers and all very good.

Chez Elles is my place to eat of choice, be it for the excellent value Set Lunch, Sunday brunch or an evening out.

2  Thank Jennie A
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I have never sampled such authentic French cuisine! The food was wonderfully presented (and the taste more so!) The staff were very pleasant with a good sense of humour which is always valued! A great way to celebrate my daughters birthday! I'd recommend to anyone and I will definitely return here on future travels!