“My own little French Oasis”
Review of Chez Elles

Chez Elles
Ranked #24 of 22,544 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Wine Bar, French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: French Bistro
London, United Kingdom
“My own little French Oasis”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've been coming to this place since it opened and it gets better and better each time. During the winter months it was a warm and inviting place to retreat to get escape the battering wind and rain of our British winter (and summer come to mention it)!

As you walk in there is a small bar where you can sit and watch the world go by in Brick Lane. The decor is gorgeous, very chic. Nadia and Lilli who own the place designed it all themselves and it's a real reflection of them. They also have a great team working for them, customer happiness is key. They have a smile for everyone :-)

So to the food, the menu changes regularly with the seasons , at the moment you'll find Duck Magret in Orange Sauce with dauphine potatoes, the duck cooked perfectly pink and the sauce not overpowering and a perfect foil to the rich meat. Steak tartare with all the trimmings and some of the best homemade chips I've had in any restaurant, Truffle Gnocchi, Moules Marinieres and Steak with Bordelaise sauce. For starters Coquilles Saint Jacque, Crab, Avocado & Salmon tian (my fave), rabbit terrine, French Onion Soup and Snails with garlic and parsley butter

There is always a special on offer, and special it is too. On my last visit I had the Choucroute de la Mer (see photo), an amazing plate of perfectly cooked Red Mullet, Sea Bass, Cod, Cockles, Mussels, Scallop and Clams served on cabbage, leek and potatoes in a light creamy sauce, my only complaint? That is was only available for a week and so I can't have it again for a while!!!

For desert? A fantastic caramelly tarte tartin or creamy Creme Brulee, crepes, or cheese all suitably capped off with an espresso...... and complimentary Haribo!!

The wine list is fab too, with a great select of wines from all regions of France, all from small producers and all very good.

Chez Elles is my place to eat of choice, be it for the excellent value Set Lunch, Sunday brunch or an evening out.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jennie A

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
“Just fantastic!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I have never sampled such authentic French cuisine! The food was wonderfully presented (and the taste more so!) The staff were very pleasant with a good sense of humour which is always valued! A great way to celebrate my daughters birthday! I'd recommend to anyone and I will definitely return here on future travels!

Manchester
“A little bit of Paris in London!!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was looking for somewhere to have dinner near the Tower of London with long-standing friend who was over from the US and found Chez Elles on TripAdvisor.

The majority of the reviews were very positive and having now been I understand why. I reserved by the "Contact" page on their website and we had been reserved a good table in the main part of the restaurant. After a very warm welcome, we enjoyed an excellent meal (both choosing the Duck main course) and excellent service. At no time were we rushed, the food was served in a timely manner and all of the staff were excellent.

I will be pleased to return again in the future and would happily recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
“Average..”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Ate here on a rainy and cold Friday evening, the restaurant is located in quite a rough area of London so the walk there wasn't pleasant at all. The restaurant was warm and inviting and really busy, there was a large group of people stood at the bar area waiting for a table so was glad we made a reservation. The decor is nice and authentic, Quite a few of the customers were French which is always a good sign! We were surrounded by quite a few large parties...the noise in the restaurant was deafening...could not hear the music and it was definitely not conducive to a romantic evening.

The food was good, my partner had the Scallops starter which he said was really tasty. I had the asparagus special which I have to say was lukewarm...not great! Duck and Seabass for main were good, although I did to enjoy the texture of the purple potatoes. Creme Brûlée desert was nice too. Wine choice really good. Averagely expensive for London...I hate the service charge which they add but this seems to happen everywhere. Waitresses were very friendly and attentive and they are the stars in this restaurant.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Sarah S
Turin, Piemonte, Italy
“Seriously???”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

With all these amazing reviews I had to try this busy place in Brick Lane.. What can I say?? U guys are serious when u make reviews?? Nothing to say about the place, nice, warm, very cool waitresses , but the food is absolutely mediocre, almost made me angry. We tried the faux filet.. absolutely hard and gummy, and both sauces are horrible. The bernaise sauce just tastes like cinnamon.. the bordelais feels like raw wine, that hasn't been reduced at all.. Even the dessert was absolutely terrible. Creme brulée that had the consistency of a mousse and gives a bad taste.. had to drink a liter of water after that. To finish the price is not necessarily low.. for a glass of wine, a dish and a dessert more than 30 quid.. which is not super expensive, but it's certainly too much for this quality. Only positive thing the wine, which is certainly good, and the waitresses, very beautiful and nice. But still, the quality of food is simply unacceptable.
It's beyond me how this place has so many amazing reviews, I just don't get it.

Visited February 2014