“A Great Brthday present”

East London Wine School - Day Classes
Ranked #10 of 186 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Owner description: We are an independent Wine School offering tastings and courses for all levels, located in the heart of the City of London. Our style is informal, unstuffy and relaxed, and our customers learn while enjoying themselves and having a good social experience. We also specialise in corporate and private tastings and team events to suit your own requirements.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was given a voucher for my Fiancé and I to attend one of the courses for my birthday. Upon arrival and meeting Ian, I was given a very nice bottle of wine and a wine tasting book. The class lasted for 2 hours and it flew by. Ian gave a great presentation and was very knowledgeable about his wines, he was very good at encouraging us to look at the clarity of the wine, the smell, the texture and then the best part, the tasting. I particularly liked the wine tasting with some different foods and seeing the effects it had on the taste of the wine.

Overall a very good night and we will definitely be going back again. I’ve already booked it up for my Mums birthday.

All reviews
"session"
in 17 reviews
"presenter"

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife and I (and two children in their early 20's) spent a wonderful two hours at Ian's masterclass on Australian and New Zealand wine. I would echo what so many have said about Ian's charisma, friendliness and love of wines - he is a great teacher without it ever feeling like you're in a classroom! We had six excellent wines to taste and came away from the evening knowing so much more about wine in general and the wines from that region. A thoroughly enjoyable and informative evening.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I bought a voucher for my boyfriend for his birthday and it really was worth every penny. I had a feeling I was on to a good thing when I had a silly email exchange with Ian over sending the tickets in a plain brown envelope so my boyfriend wouldn't figure out what it was! The class was really interesting; I know nothing about wine, whereas my boyfriend knows quite a lot, and it suited both of us. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly, and encouraged people to ask questions and join in the conversation. The snacks were a welcome addition, and in some cases (blue cheese and sweet wine) a bit of revelation. Hugely impressed and would reccommend highly.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This course was absolutely fantastic. Ian was an incredible host who made it such a fun day. Totally suitable for complete beginners and a real mix of social and learning in a fun relaxed environment made it a great day. The wines were delicious and I came away learning an awful lots in just a day. I will definitely be back again for other courses. We both had a brilliant time.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 24, 2013

For anyone considering WSET level 2 at ELWS, do not hesitate! Ian does a fantastic job of teaching the syllabus and beyond, with great knowledge of extra-curricular topics as well!

A small bit of knowledge is beneficial for this course, but not required as the content is covered very thoroughly and patiently. I learned a great deal from this level, and can honestly say it's been of use on every occasion when choosing and buying wine since then! I would, however, recommend the courses spread over three Saturdays as this allows you to do the reading (at a leisurely pace) and ask any questions that do come up. It's a lot more relaxed this way and gives the palate a break too!

Very convenient location too for those more central or unable to get to South West London easily. Go for it!

1  Thank Tim C