“cheap clean London stay”

Travelodge London Excel Hotel
Ranked #399 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 22, 2014

we used this hotel as it was a lot cheaper than the rivals, was nicely located for DLR, rooms have been updated and were very clean, early check in was good, staff were all very attentive and friendly, the only down side was the noise that could be heard from inside the hotel, doors banging, but not sure if this was just because we were on the ground floor near the heavy security door.would definately use this hotel if going to London again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
There are newer reviews for Travelodge London Excel Hotel

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Although this hotel is a bit out of the way, it is right next to the Royal Albert DLR station and so it's easy enough to get into the west end. The hotel itself is bright and the rooms although small and basic are very clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful although if busy can be a bit over stretched. Breakfast is good, with a reasonable continental selection and hot plate option of preferred. All in all a really good hotel for a short break to the city.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2014

With most London options well over £100/night (for a double) Travelodge is an amazing deal. Their family room option is great with small kids (small trundle beds) - bathroom was clean, staff really friendly

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
1  Thank WildEepLondon
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I was staying at this hotel with friends for the london marathon and I have to say I was really surprised the hotel was in a good area and the hotel was clean and the rooms were lovely it was a little hot in the rooms but there was a fans in the room. When we arrived it was busy on reception so we sat and waited in the bar. One of the managers (sandy) came and took our details and checked us in while we sat and have our drinks which was fantastic she was very friendly and gave us all the information we needed we will definitely be coming back next year.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Brilliant staff, lovely room, lots of pillows, fresh towels great access to the 02.....downside a knock at our door at11.00 am to see when we were leaving...well midday as is standard and again please TL be the first to offer free Wi Fi in rooms its 2014. I travelled in Poland last summer and had free wifi in my rooms. At the bar wanted a pint of lime and soda...to be offered a tiny mixer can of soda....come on travelodge dont let yourself down. However for under £50 for three of us...fab value. Bed soooooooo comfortable. Would recommend to anyone. Thank you TL.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HOP25
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is the first refurbished Travelodge I have stayed in.....out of choice I would use their rivals and mainly for one reason....the beds! But Travelodge have improved the experience hugely by now providing decent comfortable beds and 4 pillows(2 were standard at the un refurbished hotels and at some you could only get another one if they could take them from an empty room!) Rooms were clean...still basic but perfectly acceptable as basic is what you are paying for.
The receptionist at check in was exactly what you want when you check in.....she accommodated my special request with no fuss, was very polite and even offered to get us a cup of tea while we had to wait a few minutes.
Food was average but quite edible and again the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Just one caveat...it didn't matter to us at all but this travelodge isn't in short walking distance of any shops or restaurants so if you don't have a car you will need to hop on the train to get to a supermarket/chemist/bank or to get anything to eat.
It does however supply splendid views over the docklands and London City Airport in particular !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Having had a really bad experience with budget hotels last time I visited Excel, I was a little apprehensive about booking into this newer Travelodge. I was pleasantly surprised! Nice clean, bright room, usual cupboard for a bathroom, but fine for me, although the water wasn't very hot both times I tried the shower. It's a few minutes walk from DLR Royal Albert station and 5 minutes into Excel, so perfect for anyone on a conference or exhibition there. Good friendly reception staff, she gave me other information that might have been useful for me, like to ask at reception if I needed a hair dryer or iron. I liked the extra security of having to use your 'key' to access the corridors to lifts and rooms. I was on the first floor and was pleased to see how clean and bright everything was. But this is a fairly new build, so would expect it. The room was fine, no frills at all but was surprised to see there was no phone. The bed was very comfortable, nice pillows but the usual heavy, thick quilt all hotels seem to use these days. TV was fine, usual tea/coffee facility, no biscuits though. Wifi was down and didn't come back on while I was there, a bit of a pain really.
Towels were good, an extra one available, but the soap was a minuscule bar and very industrial! No other toiletries available, so take some! A shower cap would have been useful. The water temp was poor for both sink and shower. It defiantly needs a privacy curtain at the ceiling to floor window, especially as there was a building site next door and I had to close the curtains to get changed and before I got dressed in the morning. It is very close to City Airport and the noise is a bit intense at times, but they stop at 9pm and don't start again until 8am. The DLR also closes down at night, so not too noisy. There was a lot of coming and going and slamming of doors up till about midnight but once everyone settled down it was fine. The walls aren't that thick and you do hear things you might not want to! The food is OK, won't win any awards but it arrived quickly and was hot. Not much ambience in the bar/restaurant though. Breakfast was fine, a good choice available. All in all I was happy with the experience and will probably book in again if other reviews are positive at the time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo