“A powerful tribute”

and up
The Original London Sightseeing Tour: Hop-on Hop-off
Ranked #36 of 1,765 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The RAF Benevolent Fund is proud and privileged to be the custodian of the new Bomber Command Memorial in central London. The memorial has been built to be modern, yet classical, in Portland stone. At its heart are the bronze sculptures of a Bomber Command aircrew. Within the memorial, the space is open to the sky with an opening designed to allow light to fall directly onto sculptures of the aircrew.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My friend really wanted to see this and we easily found it. A very powerful, beautiful statue which could not help but move me. I do not know much about the history but, to me, this felt like a worthy tribute to men who made sacrifices.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,609)
All reviews
in 70 reviews
"airmen"
in 173 reviews

Reviewed October 31, 2013

It is sad to realise that nearly half of the crew in Bomber Command perished.However I think that this otherwise appropriate tribute should have referred and paid tribute to all the personnel who served.Most alas are now dead and in not that many years this is a part of the second world war that will recede from human memory.The mimentoes left by family of deceased crews are by far the most poigniant aspect of this memorial.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I didn't even know about it, a colleague took me there. It is so well done and the words are beautiful, especially the words - Per ardua ad astra ("through adversity to the stars").
Wonderful.

1  Thank DJSSouthport
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was recently in London on a family matter and decided to have a look at the Bomber Command Memorial. My late father served in Bomber Command, so it was a personal thing for me. I understand that this architecturally beautiful monument was largely paid for by private subscription and that the one individual most responsible for it's completion was none other than the late Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees. I would encourage anyone to visit and remember the sacrifice these men made in wartime where the survival rate was less than 30%. It is a shame that there have been instances of vandalism on the memorial since it was opened. I have no comment on that. It speaks for itself.