“Great authentic BBQ”
Review of Duke's Brew & Que

Duke's Brew & Que
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Brew & Que is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,733 of 22,857 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: BBQ Monday - Wednesday: 6pm - 10pm Thursday: 6pm until 10.30pm Friday: 5.30pm - 10.30pm Saturday 12pm - 4pm (walk in and reservations for groups of 6 or more, 5.30pm - 10.30pm (reservation) Sunday 12pm - 4pm (walk in and reservations for groups of 6 or more, 5.30pm - 9.30pm (reservation) BAR Monday - Wednesday: 4 - 11pm Thursday - Friday: 4 - 11.30pm Saturday: 12 - 11.30pm Sunday: 12 - 10.30pm
Woking, Surrey
“Great authentic BBQ”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A great find - having followed Tim Anderson on Twitter and seeing him tweeting about the #DeepSouth fusion night he was involved in.

Authentic BBQ restaurant hidden all the way in deepest, darkest Haggerston. Great range of beers (although not cheap - was a little shocked when one of my choices showed up as a £5 pint on the bill). Between me and my husband we pretty much wanted to order the whole menu. My husband went for the platter and I the special Brisket bun - we then ordered most of the sides :-) The mains were excellent - and the portion sizes huge. Sides were generally good too - wasn't a huge fan of the deep fried pickles and okra, but that's personal taste rather than the fact they were bad (I also swear there was no okra). We shared a banana brownie for pud - and, whilst yummy, I'd have added a few more bananas.

Service was good - attentive without being overbearing and they were happy to chat and engage as well.

Loved the atmosphere too generally - although thoroughly stunk of BBQ as we left due to the smoke!

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
London
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I went here on my birthday at the end of December last year. There were only four of us and we sat down at about 6pm I think (might have been 7). We kept being reminded that the table needed to be free which made us all feel very rushed and as if we couldn't really relax. That wasn't a major problem however because the gentleman who took my phone call (I think he was Australian) was so polite and had already explained that the table time would be limited. Therefore I did not mind this so much, the real issue was the food. I'm sorry but the beef ribs were rubbish. They came out VERY quickly (which suggests reheating)and mine was quite fatty and did not fall off the bone as should be the case with this type of meat when cooked properly. As for my friends...well, I wondered why they weren't eating theirs because they had all been very excited about the meal. I tried two different ribs from two friends and they were dry, tough and had very little meat on them. Mine was the only semi-edible one at the table. Not good enough. The mac and cheese and okra were tasty, cocktails were nice but that was about al. I would possibly give this place another try but I don't know if I trust the food to be good. It was a real shame as I was really looking forward to the meal having read some great reviews. I would not pay £15 for a beef rib again without assurances that it was going to be worth it because the one I had on my birthday was definitely not.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Amy M
Hannah V, General Manager at Duke's Brew & Que, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in our restaurant, it is rare that out meat is not up to scratch, this website is a testament to our reputation. I would like to discuss this further so would be very grateful if you could email me at hello@dukesjoint.com. It is always helpful to raise issues at the time rather than months later, it helps us maintain quality at the time and allows us to try and offer a solution so our customers are happy.
Many Thanks
Hannah
London
“Does exactly what it says on the tin!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you like beer and you like ribs, you will love this place! Book if you can, or you could be in for a bit of a wait but with a decent selection of beers available, its not too much of a hardship to spend sometime at the bar. The atmosphere is great and all the staff are very friendly - especially the barman who had some great suggestions of beers for us to try.

I was massively disappointed on my last visit as they had run out of chicken wings!! This may not seem like a big deal but if you've tasted them, you will understand my distress about having to go without ;)

All the food that I've had here has been cooked really well. Would def recommend if you are a rib fan!

London, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere, below average barbecue food, not good value”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Other than the unnecessarily suspicious bouncer questioning whether we had a reservation, firstimpressions were good- great atmosphere for a Friday night with a group of friends with a good drinks menu. The food, however, was poor. I had the greatest hits. The meat was still very fatty, and not a pleasant texture, suggesting that it had not been slow cooked for long enough. Was not particularly tasty either. And £23.50 for a beef rib, a pork rib and a spoonful of pulled pork is dreadful value versus other barbecue places in London. Most definitely a case of style over substance.

• Visited April 2013
Hannah V, General Manager at Duke's Brew & Que, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hey Guys, this is awful. I'm pleased that you love the vibe of our place but to have been given such a poor plate of food is absolutely unforgivable, may I ask if you brought your dissastisfaction up with your waiter? Meat ribs as with any animal product, can from time to time be a little unpredictable which is why our waiters are charged with constantly checking back and resolving issues immediatly rather than having out customers leaving feeling cheated. Our beef ribs are smoked for 16-18 hours, we don't cut corners with the production of our dishes and we always use te best produce available. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience. We rarely get a complaint about our food due to our vigilance with check backs and correcting errors, our social media, in fact this this site inparticular is a testament to our happy customers so to have such a bad review is very personal for us. I'd be pleased if you could elaborate on your experience, you can email at hello@dukesjoint.com. Many Thanks in advance Hannah
United Kingdom
“Meat & beer lovers heaven!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Dukes is a bustling & buzzy American style haunt, very busy and loud (in a good way), and the food is so good! The beer list is absolutely huge, so if you're into trying new beers this is the place. The pork ribs are so tender but the large beef rib is mouth wateringly good (bit too big for 1 person though!) Staff very friendly and great value, we've already been spreading the word & we'll definitely be back! Only negative is the location, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere (for us) so involves taxi's. Still worth it though!

• Visited April 2013
Hannah V, General Manager at Duke's Brew & Que, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
This is a great review! We work hard to keep Dukes authentic and fun!
Really pleased you enjoyed yourself!