“At this price, hard to fault”

Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras
Ranked #352 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Fortrose, United Kingdom
“At this price, hard to fault”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked two rooms, one double, one twin during the Olympics. I looked everyewhere previously for non rip off prices, but just couldn't find anything, because London hoteliers were being foolishly bullish with their extortionate rates, and only came to their senses when it was too late, and were left with many emply rooms. For them to then complain about low occupancy numbers and loss of business because of the Olympics is just so unjustified, it was all sooo self inflicted.
Anyway, this was my first stay with Tune, and I was a bit apprehensive, as we were staying for 5 nights. As long as you accept that this is a no frills budget hotel, I really don't think you can fault what you will find. I irritates me when reviews bang on about having to pay extra for this or that, or the room is small etc. It's all on the company website, there are no surprises here, so why complain when you find you are not in a 4 star hotel, when you are clearly paying for 2?
The hotel was newly opened so everything was spotless. Our room was ok in size, and we managed to unpack and arrange ourselves fine for our stay. Ensuite was tight, especially passing the sink to get into the shower. That isn't a complaint by the way- its just an observation, just in case you have a larger frame...
The twin room seemed a tad smaller, but their ensuite was massive compared to ours.
Good shower, loads of hot water, lovely firm bed, nice flat screen on the wall, and best of all, air con that actually works. I've stayed in many other London hotels, paying loads more, and this is the best to date, and made a good nights sleep so much easier. London can be very uncomfortable in summer- good air con is a must.
No noise from outside, and i wasn't bothered by other guests.
Lobby has snacks, hot and cold drinks available 24/7- ice cold bottle of water when you get in from a night out for a quid to take back to your room- happy days!
The lifts are the smallest i've been in, so we just walked down a couple of flights to our rooms.
2 person maximum, and a squeeze when you try an get a suitcase in.
Again this didn't bother me, in fact we had a wee chuckle about it.
The area is much better these days, with huge regeneration going on.
At no point did I feel uncomfortable walking back late at night.
There is a nice enough pub across the road with friendly staff, with tables available outside too.
For those idiots complaining about the £2 charge for luggage storage if they are early or want it kept after checkout, try going to Kings Cross left luggage, where you will be fleeced almost 10 times that.
We had a fantastic time in London at the Olympics, and much of that was down to this hotel.
Can't recommend this place highly enough for a stay if you're on a budget, and are happy to possibly compromise on certain features or comforts that you otherwise might expect at other more expensive establishments.

Room Tip: Lower ground at the rear worked for us.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
StuartClay, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Kings Cross St Pancras, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear John,

Thank you very much for writing this very positive review regarding your stay at Tune Hotel Kings Cross. Most of our guests agree that we offer exceptional value for money. I'm glad you found the drinks and snacks in reception adequate for your needs. Your observation that we are massively cheaper than a left luggage locker at the station is spot on. I am so pleased that we contributed to your enjoyment of the Olympics, and I am thrilled that you are able to recommend us to others. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards stuart.

Stuart Clay General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sheffield
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Superb stay at the new Tune Hotel Kings Cross.

As I have stayed previously in Westminster I was well aware of the brand, so I knew the room would be small, but when in London I am there to get out and do things! Not stay inside!

The shower was really powerful, I enjoyed the longest showers ever! The bed was comfy too. Added bonus is no noise of the underground at this location - this was something I found at the Westminster one previously.

A few haires in the bathroom on arrival - but easily sorted - otherwise very clean and comfortable.

For me there are a few things that make this Tune Hotel better than Westminster one they are:

- Location - just two minutes walk from St Pancras/Kings Cross
- Better shower trays (Westminster ones are not deep enough so can flood)
- Larger reception area - nice to have some seating here which you could chill out on for a while
- THE STAFF - I have to say they were superb. From the start to finish. Special mention to the blonde lady on reception - you really were so pleasant and welcoming. Thank you (sorry I did not get the name). Also thank you to the night porter who put 7p of his own money in when I was short for the late checkout fee - thank you. It was only 7p but many people would not have been so kind and helpful.

To the GM - your staff are your asset. Look after them!

Room Tip: I had a room with no windows (131) - but air con was brill so why pay more!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very positive review of your stay at Tune Hotel Kings Cross. I am however a little upset that you found hairs in your bathroom, I have spoken to housekeeping and have been assured this will not happen again.

I agree with you totally, my staff are the real asset of the hotel and i will be sure to pass on your comments to them, I will also make sure the night porter gets his 7p back.

I am so pleased we lived up to your expectations and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Tel Aviv
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed for 4 night- the location is great- very close to king's cross station (and the eurostar trains at Sn. Pancras). everything in the hotel is wonderfully new and very clean and comfortable.
The room was small and basic, but had everything we needed while touring the city. bathroom was great and the bed was good to sleep on.
Hotel staff were friendly, kind and helpfull when needed.
if you are not looking for a deluxe stay- i highly recommend it for a top-of-the-line basic stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Liat Y
Dear Liat,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Tune Hotel Kings Cross. I am so pleased you had a positive experience and that you found the staff helpful and courteous. Thank you also for feeling we are good enough to warrant a recommendation from you. I hope that you will decide to stay with us the next time you visit London.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here for one night before going to Paris on Eurostar, and chose it for the location and price, everywhere else having silly prices due to the Olympics. We were a bit put off when our 'extras' of towels and toiletries were handed over in what appeared to be Chinese takeaway paper bags, but actually the towels were large and soft. We had a windowless room on the basis that we were arriving late and leaving early. The air-con worked well so a window wouldn't have made any difference. The room really is the tiniest we have ever seen, so much so that 3 sides of the bed were up against a wall. Climbing over your partner in the night to reach the bathroom isn't great and there is absolutely nowhere to store luggage, and for this we have to mark it down because it's frankly a bit daft for this location - most people will be travelling somewhere! However, overall we would stay again as the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, the bed was very very comfortable and the staff exceptionally helpful and welcoming.

1 Thank Helen W
Hello Helen,
Thank you for your honest review of your stay at Tune Hotel kings Cross. Our rooms do vary in size and it does sound like you had one of the smallest, apologies for that but rooms are allocated on arrival and you would not have been given this room if others had been available.

I'm pleased that the towels war to you liking and that the cleanliness of the hotel, and the staff lived up to your expectations. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back should you be staying in London again.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

You get what you pay for in most places, here you get much more. The idea that you can add on extras as you need them is a great one, meaning you can keep the cost very low if you want to. Upon arriving we were very pleased with our room and facilities. These were spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom is excellent. The location is excellent as only 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross and St Pancras. the only problems were with the hairdryer in our room, which didn't work initially. the staff were very helpful and happily provided a replacement. This did work but required quite a lot of effort to use so bringing your own would be recommended if you can. Also, as the bathroom has a frosted glass door this may not be a place to stay with people you don't already know intimately! One other thing to note is that check-in isn't until 3pm, meaning the hotel will charge you £2 per bag to hold your luggage if you arrive early. Overall though an excellent place for a couple and we will definitely stay here again next time we visit London.

1 Thank richwilson123
Dear Rich,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry that you had problems with the hairdryer but pleased that the staff dealt with this to your satisfaction. We do charge to hold luggage as it is considered to be an extra service. We are however far far cheaper than using a locker at the station. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to seeing you again when you return to London.

Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were happy with this hotel - it was fine for an overnight stay next to St Pancras - I wouldn't choose it for a romantic London stay, but it was very clean, extremely comfortable firm bed (and I'm fussy!), friendly staff, and not too noisy. The first room we were given hadn't been cleaned and somebody in the room next door sounded like they were doing a band rehearsal, but the staff were very apologetic and quickly offered an alternative, which was absolutely fine. Would recommend for the area.

1 Thank julesmb75
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. We take all feedback seriously, good or bad. I'm glad that overall we met your expectations but i am not pleased that you were shown to a room that had not been cleaned. I have spoken to both the reception and housekeeping staff to find out what went wrong and I have been assured this will not happen again. I'm pleased the second room was ready for use and suited your needs. I do hope you will elect to stay at Tune hotel Kings Cross on your next visit to London.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I decided I would take a last minute long weekend with my son to get the atmosphere of the Olympic and to see a little of it ...on arriving the hotel was only up the road from the station ...it was clean ,modern and the room was a clean and compact room with a lovely view .. The staff were helpful and I had an enjoyable stay with a lovely comfortable room to come back to after our very busy days...the bed was very comfortable which is unusual for hotels and it was a very quite room ... the extra £7.50 packages is well worth the month and we got clean towel,soap and shampoo every day . On checking out we stored our bag for the morning for £2.00 extra which was well worth the piece of mind ... Thanks tune hotel kings cross ....

Room Tip: Ask the rooms with the round windows at back of hotel quite and great views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Adele G
Dear Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay at Tune Hotel Kings Cross.We value our regular customers and will try very hard to reward that loyalty in some way.I will pass on your kind words to the staff, they are the real assets of the hotel. We look forward to being able to welcome you back when you are next working in London.