“Very good hotel, great location and very helpful staff.”

Bloomsbury Palace Hotel
Ranked #358 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel, great location and very helpful staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed the last 2 nights at this hotel with my 7 year old son and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, I disagree with the people who gave this place awful reviews, it has a nice reception with friendly staff 24 hours. Breakfast basic but ok. The rooms are very clean and looks like the place has had a recent refurbish. The rooms may not be enormous but please remember this is a boutique like hotel in a historic building in the centre of London. 10 minutes walk from London Kings Cross and 10 minutes walk from Trafalgar square and London's west end. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TM1511

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Unlike others my experience at bloomsbury hotel was not bad..... I stayed in July during week days ... arrived at the hotel very late at night ... receptionist was waiting for us and greet us well at the reception .... checked in process was very quick even we were offered help with lugga as there was no lift in the hotel...room size was small but clean and organised, conveniently located so didn't have any difficulty in finding transport links...... for short stay its not bad.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shez m
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in late June, it was appalling! I do not know how it has got 4 stars I would not give it one! they must have given themselves the stars! The breakfast was terrible, one morning we sat at a table by the window the table was covered in dust! they did not care. The common areas were dirty, there was no airconditioning in the rooms which was advertised on their website. It was like a building site! we had come away from a building site to get a bit of relaxation, how wrong we were, the room cleanliness was terrible, we were without electricity in our room one afternoon for 5 hours, then the next morning we went down to breakfast whe we came back, again no electricity, the staff were unhelpful and not interested.There were lots of people complaining whist we were there. DO NOT STAY HERE

Room Tip: One piece of advice, do not stay here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paulb877

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Tipperary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and i stayed in this hotel in June and we were booked in for two nights. We had left our 4 month old son at home in ireland for a well deserved trip away together. When we arrived at the reception, it looked like the hotel wasnt really ready to be opened. There were workmen all over the place. It was also tiny. We were shown to our bedroom which was on the ground floor with a large window to the very busy street outside. The room was tiny. There was a small corridor with a tiny ensuite off it and the corridor then opened out into an area which was entirely taken up with a double bed. There was no floor space around the bed only that from the corridor. I immediately asked for a larger room but was told that the hotel was currently full but they would get back to us later if one became available. Little did we realise at the time that the size of the room was the least of our problems. WE quickly freshened up after our flight and headed off to sightsee for the day. We arrived back at about 7 that evening. After awhile in the room we realised that we actually could not hear each other speak over the noise of the traffic outside. Whats worse, the room was soo hot and stuffy we had to open the window which made the noise even louder. we got ready to head out for the night and called to the reception again to see if there was another room available. We were told that there was a larger room available out the back available but would be charged a further £60 which i told him was crazy telling him that that price would be the same as the new plaza hotel in Westminister. I made the point that this was a guesthouse and not a hotel and therefore i wasnt prepared to pay that money. He wouldnt budge on the price but informed me that the noise from the street would ease off during the night. We arrived back at around half one that night and fell off to sleep very easily with the help of the alcohol we had consumed!!! At 5 that morning i woke to unbelievable street noise. It was soo bad that i may as well have been sleeping on the footpath. In fact i would have slept better as at least i would have had some fresh air. My husband had been awake since 3. After an hour, i decided i was going to go insane if i spent another minute in the room. I was almost in tears at not being able to sleep. The noise was just crazy. The windows are single pane!!! so i headed out to the reception desk but could'nt find anyone. After ten minutes of looking for someone i eventually found the receptionist asleep on the floor behind the desk. I nearly felt jealous. He seemed to be getting more sleep than me. I told him i was soo annoyed as it was supposed to be our full first nights sleep without having to wake up to a crying baby but it was ruined. I spoke again to the head receptionist after breakfast and told him that i refused to sleep another night in that room but i was'nt going to pay extra for a goods nights sleep either so after alot of arguing we eventually got a lovely double room to the back of the hotel. But to be honest, that day of sightseeing was ruined as my eyes were sore all day from tiredness. This hotel is overpriced for what it is. This is more a guesthouse and should not be advertised as a hotel with hotel prices. Do not take a room to the front of the house as unless you're deaf you will not be able to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back. If the cant give you one, book another hotel!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annatipp
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel has such potential, the rooms are well done, clean and fresh. The breakfast was pleasant. However, on arrival we found that instead of 2 doubles they had given us a triple and a single! This was really inconvenient and it meant that one of our party had to sleep in a tiny box room.
If the price was right I would in fact stay here again but give clear instructions when booking, for a place to lay your head there's definitely worse places. Not recommended for longer stays though as some of the rooms exceptionally cramped and on the street side noise is a huge problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the road side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I'm writing this while having an English breafast in the basement of the hotel. Which, as the rest of the hotel, is extremely small. The hotels design looks very nice but everything is very cramped. The location of the hotel is pretty OK but the sum of it all leaves me very disappointed.

The room I stayed in was extremely small (don't go here if you're claustrophobic), extremely noisy and the curtains were so bad it was even impossible to try to sleep anymore after sunrise. The bathroom is so small that it's a challenge to close the shower door when you're in the shower. The shower door had no knob why I had to reach over the door to open it. (a small person whould have to break the door to get out). There was no shower gel provided and only one towel. The bed was cramped between the walls and I couldn't lay myself in full length (I'm 182 cm long). The bed was positioned directly underneath the extremely noisy window.

It has to be said that the personnel is very nice and helpfull. But that doesn't change the characteristics of the hotel.

All together I paid 105 pounds for one night in a room that had a good styling but in where I couln't sleep. Which is the most important thing about an hotel. I will never come back here!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Valandil1982
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!!! It's better to live on the street than this "hotel"!!!

It feels like 60 degrees as soon as I walked in the reception! Just as I couldn't wait to get into the bedroom, only then to find out the bedroom was even worse than the reception!

No air con, no ventilator, not even a window in the bathroom! I struggled to breathe all the way through my stay!

Worse still, we booked a triple room with adverts showing pictures of a double bed and a single bed, & the "single bed" was actually a sofa bed! the bed size was so small & narrow that even a dog sleeping on it would fall on the ground!

Even worse still - the receptionist told us to "make your own bed"! That means pulling the bed out of the sofa & insert the beddings ourselves! Have you ever heard a hotel asking their customers to help themselves on these matters?

Worst of all! Since it was so boiling hot, we asked the receptionist if we could borrow a fan somewhere. The answer was "we do not have one, but I will try my best to find you one." Guess what happens next? We did not get one at the end, only to find one standing right at the reception on check out...

My title reads best joke in the world, now click like if you laughed!

Room Tip: This column says "Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room", so my tip would be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business