“Location... Check - Cleanliness... not good” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Primrose Guesthouse

Primrose Guesthouse
Ranked #48 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Location... Check - Cleanliness... not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Location brilliant. Not too far from two decent tube stations. A reasonably priced car park within walking distance provided you do not have any heavy luggage, although this could be dropped at your room... I am afraid it stops there. We (me and my partner) did arrive slightly before the standard 2pm check in time. Initially was told room wasn't ready but would look after luggage so car could be parked. Then was told room was ready. Then was told it wasn't, and finally informed room 3 would do. All this going on whilst stood on the landing. After being told the room was ready, on first impression it was basic but adequate. Due to having things to do almost immediately, we didn't inspect too much of the room. On coming back, we soon noticed the cleanliness wasn't great. Now normally I read reviews and wonder why some can be bothered. Especially to write the finer details, but I do feel, this time, compelled to do this. I pulled back the duvet to find the sheets covered with hairs, (not all necessarilly head hairs either). There was blood on the curtain and the noise on an evening and a morning isn't ideal. For the room we stayed in, it is stud walls so you can pretty much hear everything going on next door. I do mean everything.
I understand you get what you pay for, and understand that a guest house differs from hotel standards, but to me, this was below par. As I paid £129 for 2 nights. The deal was purchased on Living Social and stated a bottle of champagne and chocolate would be given on arrival. This was actually a choice of red or white wine and a bar of chocolate. I decided not to mention this to the staff as no one ever seemed to be about to speak with. I chose not to eat here as I felt if the food were as shoddy the room, I wouldn't take the risk. So no food review.
In conslusion, I don't think its the most ideal guest house if your a couple, but might suit a few lads on a night out in the countries capital.

2 Thank rich m
Primrose G, Owner at Primrose Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
hello
im sorry you were not satisfied, i do take pride in the breakfast we serve and its a shame you didnt come to the kitchen to try it, nothing was mentioned to me about the cleanliness during your stay so i was unaware, if it was i would have made sure something was done about it, i relied on my cleaner to take care of the rooms, due to me having to multi task and not always being able to be in the house all day, i make sure that someone is around in the house should any guest have any concerns in my absence and nothing was mentioned.

Lekha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Booked this accommodation through Groupon for a few days away with my boyfriend. Don't get me wrong, the rooms were lovely and clean and a big double bed and the bathroom was spotless and looked like new shower had been fitted recently. But for breakfast in the morning, you just basically have to share a kitchen with a table in it with all the other guests staying, like you're staying over at a friends house. When I read upon the guest house on their website before coming, it doesn't state this so you would assume that it would be in a dinning room with separate tables and there would be a buffet or table service or something?? It was very uncomfortable! Also, not much choice for breakfast, toast or cereals basically. Wouldn't stay again! But on the positive side, staff were very friendly and helpful!

3 Thank Emily142
Primrose G, Owner at Primrose Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
hello
this is a guest house and not a hotel but your comments have been taken on board and a new layout of the dining room area is now in place, there has always been a cooked breakfast and continental choice on the menu with ample choice

Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We saw this deal on Groupon last month and thought we could give it a try. First of all, what moved us to stay here was the location itself. Just within Zone 2, that would make our travel expenses much cheaper than staying at somewhere between Zone 4-5. Best part is, Primrose Hill is just 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel. There you can see a gorgeous panorama of London. Rumors has it that, some celebrities live in the area as well.

If you need food or even budget shopping, just drop down to Camden Town, 2 stops away from the B&B's tube station. The food there is good, and you are open to gazillion choices!

Upon arrival, we found Champagne, Chocolate and even cookies in our room. To me, it is the small things that counts. So this was just a big bonus to us. You have your own kettle in your room, and are free to make coffee or tea anytime as well. Television and ensuite shower/toilet included. There were toiletries and towels ready for us as well. Overall at first glance it was great.

Cleanliness wise it was alright. Just petty issues like we found a couple of strands of hair on the bed and the table. Sleep was good, the beds were awesome, either I was tired or it was just a really comfortable bed, because I slept through till the morning and even refuse to get up from it. The room is pretty small, but it definitely has all your basic needs.

Breakfast was good for me, I had toast, coffee, bacon and eggs and weetos. The landlady always make sure you had enough food before you leave the kitchen and explore London. She always ask "Do you need more coffee? Juice? Anything you need?" So a 5 star from me to her service wise.

Value wise? The location is so close to Central London and you even get Champagne and Chocolate. I checked many other B&B with Zone 1-2 locations and they are much more expensive than this place. So, Primrose Guesthouse is definitely 5 star value!

hello shimay

im glad you enjoyed yourselves!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Cozy room, clean bathroom, good breakfast, nice hostess and a five minutes walk to Belsize Park subway station - it can hardly be a better stay in London and it is like staying at a friend's home! We were looking for great location, reasonable price and clean accommodation. This is exactly what we got and we would definitely go back.

hello anna
thank you!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked this accomodation through Groupon for a Bank Holiday weekend break. The landlady, Lekha, was extremely welcoming and friendly, as was Mitch, her team member. We enjoyed a lovely weekend here at a reasonable price.

The accomodation was clean and tidy and the location excellent for exploring the sights of London, being only a 5 minute walk from Belsize Tube station.(Suggest buying an Oyster card at the tube station and topping up payments for use on all tube lines - an excellent and inexpensive way to travel around London).

Thanks, Lekha & Mitch, for an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CeliaJ16
hello celia

you and your husband were one of my first visitors it was really nice to host you, sorry for the late response but iv only just found out how to put a response on!! see you again

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Having purchased a recent deal via Groupon which included two nights for two people with breakfast and champagne and chocolates on arrival I was ecstatic as it was reasonably cheap (£130) for London and it wasn't too far from the places I was visiting.

Having travelled on the train to London I found myself travelling through the newly refurbished terminal at Kings Cross heading on board a tube, I had four stops which took about 10 minutes. Leaving the station I was a little confused to find the street which I was to take but eventually found my bearings. Having entered Primrose Gardens the obvious thing to do was to look for a sign above a door stating Primrose Guest House but having walked up and down on both sides a sign seemed not to be present. So there I was stood in the middle of a street with my iPad in hand to find the number of the property, at last I found it, it was no 34!!, just in case you need it.

Having knocked and rang the bell I had approximately a 5 minute wait before the door was opened and I was greeted. I must say it was one of the warmest welcomes I have encountered from any hotel or guesthouse, ever!!!. However, entering the small hallway and having luggage inhand meant we were unable to put it down due to the space and were took straight to a room, however it is not a real big problem.

Having been shown our room we found they made a double as opposed to the twin which was requested, once again not a big problem and the staff rectified the problem when we left and it was done when we returned to the room.

Now, having travelled a lot in the past and had the extremely joyous job of inspecting and rating guesthouses with the AA and carrying out mystery shops I perhaps screwed my business head on and started critiquing certain areas. Now unlike my companion I found the space of the room to be adequate for the location and the cost, were as my companion did not and complained, we did happen to have two single beds, a wardrobe, a table and chairs and still had ample of space to move around so I personally would not complain too much for being in such a prime location with all amenities and hospitality at hand.

The beds were very cosy but it appeared that the bed linen was very new and had been put on direct from the packet as it was creased in a way of how they were folded with the cardboard in a shop and the duvet cover was a bit stiff and rough.

The wardrobe seemed clean inside and out and I did not observe any dust on the tables or mirrors, it was nice not to see a vast array of mixed coat hangers, I had plenty so I could hang everything up. The toilet and shower was very clean but this is we're I found the space an issue, it was a very skinny corridor type with the sink near the door and the toilet next to the sink and the shower right next to the toilet. As I didn't spend anymore than 10 minutes in the shower each time and space being a luxury in London, I guess it's not the biggest issue.

Now having sat down the first night to see the chocolates and champagne on our table I noticed the champagne was not champagne but just a cava, now I wasn't expecting a Moët,Tattinger or Bollinger but I would of thought I'd get a Champagne what actually has Champagne wrote on the bottle would of been left and especially after you advertise what you are getting, the saying often goes if it sounds too good to be true and looks to good to be true it often is too good to be true, it's just a shame as I've never had a problem with Groupon before. Anyway not being a big drinker it appears my companion was more disappointed than myself.

Now having spoke to a young female the previous night she asked my companion and I what time did we want breakfast, this made the assumption as cooked breakfast was going to be offered, so we both responded about 9am, having went upstairs to the kitchen we found two tubs of cereal, 1). Cornflakes and 2). Alpin not any brand makes, there was also two loafs of bread 1). White and 2). Brown, there was also a plate with Meats which I believe was only ham. Having sat down we waited for a few minutes and it appears no one was about. We had a jug of orange juice on the table which I then poured myself a glass then I made a pot of tea. Now thinking what I'd have to eat and with very little choice I opened the white bread and started toasting it, as I was doing this, someone came in and went to a fridge and started cooking something, it appeared it was a member of staff making something to eat, it wasn't exactly great to have someone stood over you whilst your making breakfast, perhaps I should of said it did not look like a typical dining room, it was in fact a small kitchen you'd have at home just this was used by guests and staff alike. Now back to the breakfast, having sat down with the toasted bread I then noticed speckled bits of mould on the bread which immediately put me off the rest so I needed up having half a glass off orange juice. My companion then started removing plates and cleaning them as we felt it was not right leaving dirty plates etc for any other guests who may go upstairs to sample the delights of mouldy bread and dried meats.

Obviously with the breakfast issue on the first morning that had a knock on effect as I had to purchased food outside the establishment. It also put me off the second morning.

Additionally I attempted to gain the wireless key so I could use my iPad, having knocked on the door downstairs near the front door, (there is no reception as such) I found myself standing outside for 10-15 minutes without anyone answering the door to me, I returned 30 minutes later and still no response, I could however here arguments behind the door which by the sound of it appeared to be two siblings.

Upon packing my bags ready for my departure we had a sudden knock at the bedroom door and I believe it was the owner, once again she seemed very pleasant and warm but due to the fact we were packing we had very little time to talk.

Overall I found the hotel clean, comfortable and the staff very friendly, however I did not like the fact the guesthouse had no identifying features from the numerous terraced houses to find primrose, also the lack of space in some areas, the waiting around for the wireless key and answering the door and the breakfast as well as the cava which was advertised as champagne!.

Would I stay here again.........perhaps, for the full normal asking price per night.....no! (appeared they hiked up for the Olympics and used that guide for Groupon so it appeared you had a better deal when in fact you were paying the usual rate).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank G J
hello
if you were not satisfied about something you should have mentioned it as i would have tried my best to put it right, the bathroom is of a standard size, most guest seem to be okay,
im sorry but due to the fact that this is a residential street we are unable to display a sign in the front of the house.

Lekha
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Fantastic place to stay for central London, the landlady and her team could not do enough for use. Room was very clean and tidy with a modern bathroom with excellent shower. 5 min Walk to Tube , 10 min Walk to Primrose Hill Park, 15 min Walk to Regents Park. We will be going back later in the year. Thanks Lehka for making use so welcome

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Apton_Fatnav
hi guys
you were amongst my very first customers and im glad you enjoyed it see you again!