“Great hotel, couldn't fault it”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #98 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 30, 2013

A great place to stay, fab location, value and service. Well insulated rooms - with little noise. The only hotel i've stayed in and not been woken up constantly by slamming doors. Staff couldn't be more helpful, breakfast and bar were ace, would definitey stay again - very highly reccomended to all..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lilly2
Write a ReviewReviews (3,511)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

CitizenM is exactly as it proclaims to be - the essentials for a comfortable room, chic design, reasonable prices. Its a few blocks from Southwark tube, and a 5 min walk to Borough Market (which has excellent food & coffee).

The rooms are small but very comfortable. About one-quarter of the room is an extra large bed, which makes for a cozy nook. The wall-mounted tv and mood lighting are all controlled by a tablet. You can choose a mood and it will adjust the lighting, music and play a fun little animation on the tv. I also enjoyed the various wake-up options.

The shower had excellent water pressure. However, this room is not for bashful couples - the toilet isn't exactly private in such a small room.

The wifi was very zippy and reliable. The common rooms were massive and very stylish - a great place to hang out and have coffee, a beer, or just enjoy the fireplaces.

Room Tip: Even the city view room wasn't loud, but the garden view will be quieter.
2  Thank Rachel R
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This state-of-the art design hotel is perfect for a short visit to London, either on business or for leisure. Easily accessible by subway (near borough market), rooms are small but very comfortable and quiet, staff offers a friendly service. Price-Quality excellent ratings!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HerlindeV
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We chose CitizenM for a two nights break for our first wedding anniversary.
Having lived there for many years, I know London very well and travel there very often. The reasons why we chose this specific hotel were its looks (which are even better in real life), the fact that it is located in our favourite part of town and its very affordable price.
Maybe a little downside is the fact that CitizenM is not located in the west end, which could be a downside for most tourists, but if you are young and happy to be doing some travelling to move around, this would still work: there is a bus stop (RV1 bus taking you straight to Covent Garden) just outside the hotel and some shops and restaurant nearby.
I had sent the hotel an email asking if they could help me with leaving a little note for my husband in the room, for our special occasion. Infact they were very nice and helpful and even suggested and organized some ballons in the room which we found on the bed when we checked in. I was very impressed by their friendly approach.
There is no reception as such, but the automated check in is infact very easy and smooth and there is also always someone there to help you. The members of Staff are all very friendly and helpful, always smiling and willing to help.
The lounge is ecceptional: very big, with beautiful decor, with lots of different areas with sofas, books, computers, table and chairs, free wife everywhere (rooms included)...they say we should consider it OUR living room and you do get that feel, with people that seem to be spending the whole day there...
The rooms are small, but much better than I had expected: the bed is huge and very very comfortable, the space is little but not impossible and, most of all, the toilet + shower capsule is way bigger than you could imagine, and pretty pleasant to use. Cleanliness is good.
The famous tablet that you use for everything and anything in the room is a fun gadget at first but I see now why that proved to be a little bit annoying for some people: we had some problems with ours, especially with the TV function. On our second night, realizing it wasn't me who was doing something wrong, I decided to call someone and ask how to get the movies or the radio to work. Elys, who was very sweet and caring, tried to help in every possible way and even came up to the room to try and reset the tablet, but for some strange reason our movie function never worked. Yes it was somehow irritating, but it wasn't a disaster after all, and I was very impressed when I was informed that because of that we were offered free breakfast the next day and a symbolic amount (half of our nightly rate) refunded on my card.
The point is that at Citizen M they really go out of their way to make you feel at home and happy with your choice of hotel and I would definately stay there again and suggest it to my friends.

3  Thank sarinopoli
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I live in the U.S. and had not stayed in a London hotel for over 10 years. I booked citizenM mostly due to the reviews on trip advisor and the funky looking pics. I was not disappointed and found the hotel is even better than the pics. All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, even when my travel plans changed due to the bad London weather.

The lobby area is very well designed and relaxing. It feels like you are at home, with areas for watching TV, working, eating or just putting your feet up and reading. The rooms are small, but as they are also very well designed, you do not feel cramped. I also spent time in my room both working and watching films on the huge bed. With two people in the room, my only negative comment would be the lack of storage for large cases.

Overall, an excellent hotel for all age groups, very friendly staff, definitely relaxing and would recommend it anyone. I will be back in London in 2 weeks and I know where I will be staying. Thanks citizenM for making my trip to London so pleasurable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Not sure why you need the self service check in when a member of staff watches over every move! Apart from the hotel having the wrong booking information, charging us for breakfast and not realising we had late check out, staff were helpful and efficient. Décor was bright and vibrant in shared areas, lifts worked quickly. The room was very small and almost claustrophobic; if blinds were open everyone in the opposite room could see straight in. Bed was huge with good quality bedding and pillows. The tablet was good fun play with ..exciting to change lighting and experiment. Films were very welcome too. Shower was big and powerful Nice to have a fridge However, missed a cup of tea in the morning! Breakfast consisted of very good quality ingredients but would have liked a greater variety of fruit, and a choice of eggs, the mini omelettes were pretty tasteless (maybe we could have ordered poached/fried but no one told us). Lovely orange juice. No fish/pancakes. All in all we enjoyed our stay but would not have wanted to stay longer.

Room Tip: Facing out so you can open the blinds!
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We loved the hotel,stuff and amazing design the rooms are good too, the only thing we complain about was the price like drinks at the bar and the room rate too , but I still rate a four, the design is different but beautiful I could stay all they sitting in the reception and hangout on my laptop.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple