“CitizenM London Bankside”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #86 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 15, 2013

CitizenM is the wierdest hotel i have ever stayed in. It's funky, boutique, interesting and great fun to be in. Love the bedrooms and the ambience. The bar and reception areas are really cool and enjoyable to relax in. Free WiFi and movies in the room are fantastic and set this hotel apart from other hotels. It's all about choice and CitizenM gives you choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very stylish hotel. The rooms are quite small but fine if you want a comfortable bed and shower facilities. The foyer and bar areas are excellent and the breakfast was very good, nice to have
decent coffee.Techies will love the moodpad to options from TV, movies to lighting and curtains.
They just need to sort the fire alarms out!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We decided to give this quirky design hotel a try and we weren't disappointed. The location in the Southbank is good, right behind the Tate Modern and close to Borough Market. London Bridge and Southwark tube stations are about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. There's a M&S across the street and a Tesco round the corner to serve all your groceries and snack needs. There's a couple of nice pubs and restaurants close by.

The room is small but I've seen smaller hotel rooms so it was more than adequate. The bed was huge from wall to wall right in front of the window. There wasn't much noise from the street during the weekend, but on weekdays there is some traffic noise during daytime.

The tablet to control the blinds, lights, tv and air conditioning was a great idea, although the we managed to have the device crash several times so maybe some bugfixes would still be in order for the software. Often it was faster to change the channels on the tv from the actual tv set instead from the tablet 'remote'. When the tabled worked, it worked great.

The lobby and restaurant were cool and inviting places just to hang out. There also was computers and a printer available for free, which was a nice touch.

The breakfast was great and especially the coffee specifically made to your order was excellent.
The staff was really friendly and seemed to like the place as much as the guests.

All in all, this hotel concept offers great value for money and a very fun stay. We'll definitely consider staying in this hotel again as well as the company's hotels also in other cities.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here on my London Trip mostly based from tripadvisor reviews and once again Tripadvisor was right. The hotel is amazing, very modern and cool decorated. You feel as if it was your home in london. The rooms are small but has everything you need plus a super confortable king size bed. I loved how you control everything with the Tablet and if you have not being, you can even choose the mood that you are in and the room changes colors, blinds and even music based on your mood. You can also choose how you want to be woken up, from super light to fierce where the lights turn on the blinds go up and the TV as well. Another cool plus is that you get unlimited free movies so when you get tired from your day trip you can just relax in your king size bed and watch a movie until you fall asleep. I recommend this hotel mostly for couples or if you are travelling by yourself, just becasue the rooms are small and I do not beleive they have double beds. Another great thing I liked about this hotel is the location. It has a supermaket literally accross the street where you can buy your bottles of water, snacks and even have lunch or breakfast at a very reasonable price. I spent for breakfast coffee and water around 10 pounds. The hotel is also located a block from the river walk and Modern Museum and about a 20 minute walk to the London bridge. We even walked from the Hotel all the way to Harrods stopping at every park and relaxing which I recommend if you really want to experience london and take lots of pictures. Thank you CitizenM for giving me a great London Experience.

Room Tip: I chose an inside courtyard room and it was very quite
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed her with my mum, dad and older sister for three nights as a tag on to our trip to Paris in August 2013. We arrived earlier than our check in time but were immediately checked in and given room cards. We were recommended which rooms were better according to location so we could make an informed decision. The room, décor and tablet based way to operated the TV etc. was right up my street. The bed was so comfortable and the choice of free films and Wifi was perfect for us :) We planned routes to the Garrick for Rock of Ages etc. The service around the hotel was fantastic, my sister and I found our electricity went off on one of the mornings but after a short conversation with the girl at the check in computers it was fixed in the half an hour it took us to eat breakfast. The food at breakfast was lovely, especially the orange juice and hash browns. I could literally have eaten a bucket full of them!!
Having read other reviews if you want a huge room for a long stay and plenty of space, this is not somewhere to go but for a short city break it's perfect! Can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've stayed all over London in all kinds of hotels on my various visits, and I'm always quite disappointed and decide to try new ones every time. But after CitizenM I might have found a "keeper", assuming their prices don't rise further.

As all other reviews state, it's a funky hotel that feels more like you've entered a "groovy" design cafe/bar where you can "hang out" for hours. You check in (and out) with computers (there's plenty of receptionist staff however, should you need them) which saves a load of time. The rooms are "all the same" as they put it, meaning there's no difference in room layout apart from location in the building. For 1-2 people the size is just fine, although you may have to fiddle with a spot for your suitcases as there's no good place to put them.

You can control all the room aspects (TV, blinds, lighting) from a Samsung tablet, or if that's too techy for you - you can still use the switches on the wall and the remote for the TV (which is under the bed in a drawer). Being a total geek myself, I found it actually worked better than I had expected although some things felt a little slow to react (TV power on/off especially).

The toilet/shower was good, nice big rain-fall shower head (or hand-shower if you prefer), with two kinds of shampoo already provided for you in a big dispenser (take note other hotels: this is WAY easier than little bottles that you can't get anything out of anyway).

Sleep wise I thought the bed was good although if you're tall (183+) you may have feet sticking out a little. I would've liked much thinner pillows, I had a hard time sleeping on the thick ones provided (and those in the drawer were thick too, maybe make them thin for options?) but I probably could have asked the reception for this so I partly blame myself too. Bed itself was very comfortable. The room was quite warm, but luckily there's an A/C. The A/C will of course make some noise even if it was very quiet.

Location transport-wise is good, would be excellent if there was a nearer underground, but a ~8 min walk will put you at three options (and you can walk to/from Waterloo in about 15-20 which is good if the Underground stops going and you arrive by train). Location wise in London it's really good however, you're minutes from Borough market or the Tate or whatever you want on the south bank, and if you like walking, 15-20 minutes will put you at Covent Garden. You're also never further away than 1 change on the underground if you take it from central London, and on good lines.

As for breakfast I'd say skip it and go next door to "Table" or head over to Borough market and eat there. Much more fun, and much cheaper. I did try the cocktails at the bar and they were good and strong, no complaint at all there! Bar stayed open until 3am.

Price-wise CitizenM is up there, but London just isn't cheap at all hotel-wise, and CitizenM is still cheaper than a lot of crappier hotels (many which are right next door), considering the location. Thus it can almost be considered cheap

Overall I really enjoyed staying at CitizenM. The design is very inviting, clever, and functional, and it's very central. The staff were all super friendly and happy, yet laid back. Perfect for me. I will definitely consider them for my next stay in London.

Room Tip: Had a courtyard room on the 5th floor and I really thought it was a good option as it was dead quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Clean. Modern. Stylish. Very comfortable and wonderful location. We really enjoyed our stay and will be coming back to this hotel next time we'll be in London.

The bed was fantastic. And we spent lot's of time in the lounge area.