“Hip and Happenin!Uplifting fun decor and arty hip feel near the Tate Modern”

citizenM London Bankside
Ranked #98 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Excellent choice for a mixed range family reunion with predominantly early twenty somethings and teenagers.Fabulously hip decor and outstanding quality of breakfast and gadgets in the rooms like mood lighting created a fun atmosphere.The oldies in our group were amused and tolerant although a nice old teaservice in the rather cramped but spotless and very comfortable capsule like rooms would have been welcome.Very comfortable beds and showers and good service.Convenient for the Shard and Borough market.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TeresaRiodeJaneiro
Write a ReviewReviews (3,673)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is another one of those "love it or hate it" places I think. Recently stayed for 3 nights whilst in London on business, and personally, was pleasantly suprised. My normal hotel in London was booked out, so I took a gamble - I know the CitizenM concept, but often reality can diverge from the promised offering online.

This is a cheap(ish) no-frills place, kind of a "build your own experience" place, so you will pay for extras - any extras. Early check in? Extra. Late check out? Extra. Breakfast not included...and so on. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may make a difference to some.

The downstairs lobby/bar/restaurant/general seating area is a masterclass in modern, trendy design - absolutely stunning in my opinion, and a really nice atmosphere every day - people working, couples planning their days, groups drinking...really well appointed, lovely little touches (the "CitizenM says..." snippets around the hotel were quirky and fun). Food and drinks a little pricey (GBP 2.50 for a latte), but it is an hotel.

Room was, as advertised, a pod...massive bed taking up half the room, tiny toilet/shower cube, tiny room - but not uncomfortable by any means. If you prefer spending time in your room working then I wouldn't recommend it, otherwise the size is irrelevant given your options downstairs. High tec of course - lights, TV, blinds and temperature are all controlled from a tablet, and you have the option of setting "moods" - music and lighting to reflect romance, party, work, etc. Bit of a novelty, but definitely appeal for the modern, trendier traveler. Bed was really comfortable I thought.

Nothing really negative about the place, although I did discover an errant hair in my shower and the breakfast was pretty average for the GBP 15 I paid on the last day. Location was good as well, with access to busses, taxis and relatively close to Soutwark and Waterloo stations.

In summary, if you like space in your room, and prefer a traditional hotel experience with some leeway around check in/out times etc, then this is definitely not for you. I would also suggest that anything longer the 2 - 3 nights is probably too much if you are on business travel. If you are on vacation, want an hotel with a great atmosphere in the afternoons and evenings in the common areas, enjoy the technology aspect of life, and enjoy experiencing more "concept" type hotels, then I think you'd really enjoy the place.

Room Tip: Room choice is irrelevant - all are identical.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here early June. We had a late flight in so was great to have someone in the reception area just before midnight! The atmosphere as soon as you walk in is amazing - the bar clearly attracts not just guests and it is a funky, modern, trendy and relaxing space.
Our room overlooked the garden; it was nice and quiet. We stayed 3 nights and that was enough before we started feeling too cramped in our room. They are small! The bed is huge, and amazing! Using the tablet for all the lights tv etc was annoying - one morning the alarm wouldn't turn off! Plus if I was on the Internet on the tablet, and hubby wanted to change the tv channel he couldn't.
The location was great - a 20 minute walk to south bank and only a 10 minute walk to the nearest train station.
Overall I would definitely stay here again, but only on short trips

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Laubish
Reviewed June 24, 2013

CitezenM is amazing! I cannot recommend it enough! The hotel itself has some spectacular architecture and design features- memorable, colourful and cultural, embracing those who love to travel! There were so many added features that really completed our stay. The rooms had ipads to control mood lighting and movies on demand and there was free wifi. The room itself was very funky and the bathroom was luxurious. We cannot say how amazingly helpful and lovely the staff were! This hotel is incredible and is an experience within itself. Honestly would stay here 100% again and am so pleased i decided to stay here. For the price, there is nothing to compare it to... in its own league.

Room Tip: The ambassadors gave us the best room they could anyway. They knew construction was going on at one...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff A
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not cheap but the cheapest of many central London hotels and a brilliant location just behind Tate Modern. Quirky, fun and eccentrically designed along art gallery/pod hotel lines, the owners know how to make a splash and make some cash with their modern modulism squeezing every inch out of the square footage. From arrival to check out everything is done with style and panache and the minimum of fuss. Digital check-in gives full control to the punter although there are young, trendy, helpful staff on hand should you need assistance. The rooms are small but beautifully formed with minimalist lines and pre-fabricated engineering. The bed takes up half of the room, wall to wall, with clean white linen and a fabulously comfortable mattress. Everything is controlled by a touch tablet beside the bed, including lighting, heat and blinds. Our only problem occurred when I managed to deviate away from the control page and was unable to find my way back so we couldn't turn the fan off all night! I also balk a little at being hermetically sealed inside a box without the option of opening a window for fresh air. One gripe is that in the middle of the night my other half was woken by an appalling smell of what could only be described as sewage! We think it was coming from the air-con/fan and it must have been some drain back up or the like. Fortunately I had a cold so was unaware of it but apparently it was BAD! Gone after 5 minutes but not very pleasant at all. Breakfast looked good but at £14.50 per head it was an added expense we chose to swerve. Check-out was sublimely swift and easy. I would definitely stay here again - probably for a couple of nights' max - and if you're looking for a different hotel experience with style and humour you could do a great deal worse.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside facing the courtyard are very quiet. We were in room 208 and didn't hear a t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarnacleBelle
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was very pleased with our recent stay.

The hotel was in a perfect location for my taste. It is close to two tube stations, so all of London is accessible with ease…but it’s not so close to the main attractions that you’re constantly dealing with hoards of people, which I appreciate. There are numerous restaurants and pubs within walking distance. Also, there is a grocery store right across the street, which is nice for a snack or some drinks to store in the in-room fridge (we also grabbed “on the go” breakfast here as they have an excellent array of croissants, muffins, and other pastries, along with a full service coffee station that is cheaper than Starbucks).

The room was great for what we needed. We travel fairly light, so we only had a carry on and 1 large suitcase between the two of us. All the clothes we brought fit into the large drawer in the base of the bed, and our suitcases fit snuggly between the vanity cabinet and a chair…so we had plenty of space to move about. If you more luggage than that, you might have an issue with floor space. The full range of TV channels and on-demand movies were good for us because we were usually back to the room by 8 PM or so, and it was nice to have some options during our wind-down time.

No real complaints at all…I would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: We chose an interior room facing the courtyard to eliminate the possibility of street noise...worked...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skinnypez10
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Really nice and cool hotel with the combination of high tech, excellent service and a familiar atmosphere. Really recommendable and good value!

Excellent wifi everywhere and the lobby is perfect with integrated bar, to relax and/or to work.

Spacy rooms with free entertainment and cool lightnings. Comfortable beds and room size adequat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends