“Treated like staff, rather than customers!”
Review of Sydney Street Grill - CLOSED

Sydney Street Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Camden Town, null, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Treated like staff, rather than customers!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hello,

I decided to take me and my partner to Sydney street grill as its in the heart of South kennsington / Chelsea and automatically assumed it would be a place to remember although I did not think it would have been remembered for the disgusting lack of customer service / hygiene and attitude to its customers!

I booked a table for 2 for Friday 19th April 2013, we arrived at 8.35pm to be told that our table wasn't ready, fair enough not a problem, we was told to go sit in the bar where "Francessco" would get us some drinks. although we wasn't shown the bar and had to ask where it was located

after arriving in the rather dingy, backlit bar we found 1 barman, in the biggest stress scene I have ever been in a restaurant in my life, he was running upstairs and to serve the sitting customers at there table there drinks, and running back downstairs to serve more, after arriving in the bar we had to wait 15 mins before we was asked if we would like a drink, we place our drink order with him (2 mojitos) he then rushed off to prepare more drinks for others finally after 30 mins after arriving in the bar we finally got our drinks we ordered.

The problem was, they wasn't what we had ordered!! my partner then asked the barman what he made our Mojito drinks with and he arrogantly said "THIS IS HOW WE DO IN ITALY" i did not drink my drink but my partner sipped at hers although it wasn't what it was ment to be,

1 hour after arriving in the bar the manager appears for the first time telling us that our table is ready, Instead of saying leave your drinks at the bar and i will get someone to bring them to your table we ourselves had to take our own drinks upstairs to our own table.

so now its 9.35pm and we have only just got to our table, we ask the manager is she knows what a Mojito drink is and she replies yes certainly i do, so then we ask, do you think this drink here is a Mojito (the one my partner had been sipping at) she replied No, i don't know whats happened there it looks dodgy! **Her exact words was dodgy"!!!!!!

anyway after ordering new drinks. 1 glass of champagne and 1 brandy and diet coke, we had to wait a further 15 mins at our table for these drinks, 9.50pm and we finally order our food.

10.15 our starter comes, "potted duck with melba toast" - Average tasting.

10.40 our main dish comes to our table, Rib eye steak, Tripple cooked chips and Onion rings

onion rings was the only thing that was on par, our triple cooked chips were soggy and in oil

and our steak was infact RAW! not rare but RAW! it was disgraceful, i called the waiter back and showed him my steak was still cold in the middle and had that fleshy texture!!!!!!!

so by this time 10.45pm we had been at the restaurant 2hours 10 mins and not even been able to eat a main course, we were fuming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am a diabetic and this was totally unacceptable

the waiter told me, you are silly if you pay for this, well they just made me sink into my chair, i thought this was a joke......

the manager came over after seeing her on her knee apologising to nearly every customer in that restaurant, i told her we had been in there restaurant over 2 hours now and not even eaten a main, and when it did arrive it was RAW she couldn't believe it and didn't know what in gods name to say to me apart from, don't worry you have no balance on your bill.

so after 2hours 20 mins of being in Sydney street grill we leave with paying anything due to the manager and still hungry looking for sight of the nearest MC DONALDS!

i had high hopes for this restaurant and would have easily spent £200-£300 in this restaurant if everything was on par!

it was a disgusting evening and i urge anyone thinking to go, to reconsider your options!!!!

you have Gordon Ramsay holdings not so far and 1000 times better than this!

DISGUSTING!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Highrolling-Josh
MPWReservationist, Operations Manager at Sydney Street Grill, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear sir,

I would like to apologise for your evening. I spoke to you yesterday and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards

Ryan Gatward-Hallett

London, United Kingdom
“Best avoided”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Food was appalling. Starter had no flavor and took 25 minutes to arrive. My main of fillet steak tasted terrible, cold and extremely thin. I was so disappointed that I had to explicitly ask staff whether it was in fact a fillet... or edible. The dessert was acceptable but nothing extraordinary.
The service was also acceptable but in no way representative of a high-end restaurant.
Three course meal for two came up to around £150 but I wouldn't pay 5 pence to dine there again.

I was not surprised to find that everyone there was using some sort of internet deal seeing as everyone had the exact same starter, main and desert. This was also evident from their ordering of tap water... and essex accents and bad teeth

This is not a high end restaurant with quality food, it is a disgrace.

• Visited April 2013
MPWReservationist, Customer Services Department at Sydney Street Grill, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Customer,

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with the food. We offer promotions to give everyone the opportunity to dine at our Restaurants, where we treat all of our customers equally. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly customersupport@londonsteakhousecompany.com

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable and filling visit”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Having secured 4 Travelzoo vouchers for a 3 course meal with cocktail and coffee, this was the third MPW restaurant that I had visited, with high expectations compared to the previous two.

A friendly welcome before being seat, the staff were very polite and attentive. Selecting the cocktails and drinks, bread was brought to the table whilst we waited and selected from the Travelzoo set menu. Starters ordered by our group including Gravadlax, Calamari and Asparagus, with the Calamari winning hands down on taste and portion size.

Mains ordered were 3 Ribeye steaks and fish & chips, the steaks were full of flavour and cooked perfectly, triple cooked chips were to die for and the fish was substantial, tasting fresh. Desserts ordered were passion fruit cheesecake, which was average, and Creme Brulee which was very nice.

There was a pre-starter of a soup and pre-dessert of a mint ice crush, both of which complimented the meal well and both were full of flavour. I have to say, the meal was as good, if not better than previous MPW visits and I will be looking out for the next day.

• Visited April 2013
MPWReservationist, Bookings and Reservations at Sydney Street Grill, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review and feedback. It is fantastic to see you returning to our MPW Establishments and I am thrilled you had another fabulous meal with us.

We very much hope to see you both again for another delicious meal.

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Not worth a re-visit”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Booked on a dining experience with Amazon so were offered the 'special' Amazon menu which might have been the problem. The lunch started well with a nice table but at 13.00 on a Thursday there was only one other table occupied. Champagne cocktail nice but no nibbles. Bread nice, a bit dry. My starter of asparagus ok my wife's goats cheese on beetroot not great looking, pleasant but not memorable. We both chose the steak, this being a grill, it was nice enough but a bit cool, side dishes of french fries and an iceberg salad ok but at £4 each pricey. Desert was not good, I chose the pannacotta and my wife the eton mess which an assembly of cooked or tinned strawberries over whipped cream, some un-identifed cardboard like pieces and two halves of a 'wooden' strawberry on the top. My pannacotta was ok but overly firm. Avoid, for this price there are better places even on a deal. Staff friendly decor, particulaly toilets tired.

• Visited April 2013
MPWReservationist, Customer Services Department at Sydney Street Grill, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and your review.

Sorry to read that the deserts were not to your taste, or as enjoyable as we would have liked them to be. I will pass on these comments on to the head chef to improve on.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Exceptional value gourmet grill”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Using Travelzoo vouchers my wife and another couple visited this small grill not far from South Kensington tube station on a Tuesday evening at 7.30pm.

Owned by Marco Pierre White the décor is smart and modern with good use of mirrors and lighting to make the most of fairly mall space - it can't seat much more than 40 covers. Service is consequently excellent but not cloying or oppressive. The wine list offered a broad and high quality selection including some excellent malbec from Argentina - sadly I was driving so had to decline.

Our vouchers constrained us with a tight menu with 3 or 4 choices per course - these were interspersed with various amuse bouche, pre-desserts. and breads. Whilst entertaining these were essentially a distraction from the main event:

The calamari and courgette starter fried in an incredibly light and crispy tempura type batter. was delicious.

However this was knocked into a cocked hat by the calves liver on a bed of spinach main course which was the second best I've ever tasted. My wife loved her steak.

Of course with such a build up the desserts had to be a bit of a step down - the cheese cake, the crème brulee and the pannacotta were pretty average.

To sum up high quality food, simply - but excellently - cooked

At about £45 per head it was good value and a great night out.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for fabulous review and feedback. I am pleased to read that both the food and service was excellent!

We very much hope to see you both again.