“Neighborhood Italian”
Review of Sydney Street Grill - CLOSED

Sydney Street Grill
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chelsea
philadelphia
“Neighborhood Italian”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I ate at this chic restaurant with a neighborhood feel on a weekday night. The restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived without a reservation around 5:30 PM, but was almost full when we left. The staff was very friendly and efficient, and happily took care of our every need. Prices were very moderate for the South Kensington/Knightsbridge area, especially given the high quality of the food. While nearby Orsini is a more folksy red sauce restaurant, Sette is much more northern Italian. My wife started off with butternut squash soup which was very rich and flavorful and I had the grilled whole prawns which were delicious. They were prepared with the head on, but the body shell removed, leaving just the tip of the tail attached. This permitted the meat of the prawn to just be pulled out of the head and chest cavity very easily. Very easy and very tasty. My wife then had an excellent grilled salmon and I had calves liver with spinach and roasted potatoes. The calves liver was thinly cut, tender and perfectly grilled. It was some of the best I've had in many years. As the restaurant got more busy, the staff seemed to be stretched a little too thin. At the table next to me, a couple of "regulars" had to request a second gin and tonic three times. The error was corrected and then a complimentary glass of wine was delivered to the table. The delivery of food to the tables also slowed considerable, but the staff hustled like crazy and maintained their very friendly and accommodating demeanor. My suggestion, don't go at prime time, but do go. You will not be disappointed.

2 Thank traveljunkienow
MJS27, Public Relations Manager at Sydney Street Grill, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the menu that our chef Leonardo Paesani has created and that you enjoyed the Sette experience. With regard to the restaurant being empty at 5.30pm, this is quite normal in Central London. We tend to get busier at around 7.30pm as most people in London work until 6pm. We are delighted that you had such a great meal and very much hope that you come back again soon.

“Great Experience”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great restaurant in a brilliant location. Food and service was excellent and really good value.
Sea Bass was out of this world! Well looked after, will return again soon

• Visited September 2012
Thank you for your review. Our sea bass is one of our most popular dishes and we are pleased that you had such a great meal at Sette. Please come again soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by the rank”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Miserable sommelier, useless commis waiters, terrible food and a rather long wait. I am being very critical but this restaurant was ranked 7th in London on trip advisor and I just cant see how. My girlfriend's main course of veal and gnocchi was essentially bisto and smash flavoured spew on a plate. The restaurant manager was very nice and quickly changed it for the sea bass which was good of him. The sea bass was cooked whole and filleted at the table for a bit of theatre. How ever the dish was laden with pin bones which kind of defeated the showmanship of the whole dish. All in all rather disappointing.

• Visited September 2012
We understand that sometimes mistakes do happen but having spoken with the manager and staff who were present on the occasion you visited, we find this review entirely unjustified. Your visit was very clearly recalled by the staff when I made enquiries.

Our team work extremely hard and to call them "miserable" and "useless" is not only untrue, it is offensive especially when they tried so hard to try and please you during your visit to our restaurant.

You fail to mention that the gnocchi (which is most certainly not made with Bisto and Smash) was taken off your bill along with the service charge. You also fail to mention that the reason you asked that it be changed is that after it was served your girlfriend announced she was allergic to nuts (these are clearly mentioned in the description of the dish on the menu). In addition, you were offered complimentary limoncello as well but you do not mention that either.

We did our best to please you and having read the other mostly negative reviews that you have written, it seems that you plainly do not like any of the restaurants that you visit.
“Brilliant transformation!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had the pleasure of having lunch at Sette recently with a friend. I must say that the menu, the service and the atmosphere were all excellent. I cant wait to try their Sunday lunch. I highly recommend this restaurant even if you don't live in the area. Bravissimo!

• Visited July 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Sette experience so much and that you find it a marked improvement on Carpaccio. Please do come again soon.
“Fabulous Chelsea Restaurant”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Everytime I have visited Sette, the service, staff, food, wine, have been truly excellent. My favourite is the delicious Sunday roast, and great value too!

• Visited July 2012