“Disppointed”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Having heard great things about this cafe, I was excited to try it but was very disappointed. To be fair, we came at 4pm on a Sunday but after a quick read of their hot food, they informed us they no longer serve food after 4pm on a Sunday. Great. So we settled for 2 teas and cakes. The loose leaf tea was not strained well and I had lots of tea bits floating in my cup, at £2.20 for a small pot of tea I would expect more. Then we shared 1 slice of Victoria Sponge and 1 lemon drizzle. The lemon drizzle was ok, well flavoured but not outstanding for £3 a thin slice however the Victoria Sponge's bottom layer in the middle was raw! I could literally spread the cake with my fork it was that uncooked. Not good. Ratio of cream to cake was out and was sickly sweet with the buttercream. We had already mentioned a few things to the relatively unfriendly waitresses so didn't feel like we could complain about the cake too. For its local location, I really wanted this place to be good and would only consider going back to try their hot food but for uncooked overpriced cake, think I'll stay at home and save the money,

3  Thank T Y

Reviewed May 2, 2013

best coffee around, lovely & friendly staff always willing to have a chat, and great food! possibly my new favourite cafe.

2  Thank raikoob
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Amazing coffee and delicious, pretty food but I found the service really slow. I hope the waitresses will improve their customer service as the owner, Ben is really welcoming.

1  Thank Sunspin
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wish this cafe had opened here sooner. Its just what this area needs a cool, edgey, child friendly cafe with great coffee & food. I just wish they would open evenings too!

1  Thank Snowf
Reviewed March 10, 2013

As recommended in Grazia, we visited this cafe recently for brunch and I have to say the food and coffee were really great.Unfortunately the two sour faced waitresses who sneered at me when I mentioned that the Grazia article said complementary coffee with food, have put me off going back again. I merely quoted what the article said to mention when paying, and one looked at me liked I had asked for a free meal for a month, she then rolled her eyes and said to the other girl "well, I dont know when it expires, we may not have to give this" so I pointed out the article was only two days old and besides, there was no expiry date. My husband was so mortified by their reaction, he left the cafe and I was left feeling like I was some kind of beggar! They then said "well, if we HAVE to, and I SUPPOSE it has to be for the two coffees". We had just had a large bruch for goodness sake,- not just asked for free coffee and nothing else.

Surly and patheticly immature reaction - change was given to me like I was something on thebottom of her shoe. These people clearly have no understanding of how marketing works- let alone customer service.

Shame as I would have recommend this place to lots of people otherwise. Now I will mention it, but for the wrong reasons.

PS _ get rid of the staff who do you no favours and bin the dead flowers on the counter. How hard is it to throw out a bunch of dead daffs that are left by your food. Sharpen up your act Boydens!!

6  Thank freelander1994