“The best pie and mash around”

Goddards at Greenwich
Ranked #285 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Description: Goddards at Greenwich serves London's most traditional meal of pie mash and liquor. This meal can be traced back through the 1800's and is an important part of London's food history. We are open everyday serving handmade pies which are baked throughout the day. We are a family run business that has been serving pie and mash since 1890. Our air conditioned licensed restaurant can seat 100 people and we also offer desserts and cold drinks. We look forward to serving you London's most famous dish!
London, England, United Kingdom
“The best pie and mash around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

After a walk in Greenwich Park with the dog, we had built up an appetite. We were starving!
The pies are beautiful, warm, crispy and yummy!
The food is quick, yummy and was delicious.
Will definitely be returning for more in the New Year!

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
wirral
“Had to try it,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My cockney mates said I had to try this place while in Greenwich as I am a northerner and always asked what liquor was like , so we have it a try. They were rite, nice big fat beef pie with mash made in heaven , the liquor was nice with a lashing of salt and pepper, well worth it and cheap too, full up with just 4 quid per head , lady behind the counter could learn to smile a bit then it would have made it perfect

Portsmouth
“Great Value Pie Shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I ate lunch here with my wife and 4 friends. There were about 7 or 8 different varieties of pies which while not being the most amazing, were very tasty and reasonably priced. All washed down with a bottle of London Pride, just what was required on a wintery Saturday afternoon.

• Visited December 2013
Bangkok
“Jellied eels and pies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I came across Goddards at Greenwich unexpectedly after I had forgotten about it in my original Greenwich itinerary. I dropped in for, yes, jellied eels. This was a truly odd dish that I never had before. There were pies on sale too but I just wanted to try the eels.
It turned out to be delicious and quite addictive. It is a cold dish with I think sour eels in clear jelly. It came in several pieces on a simple white bowl. I would describe it as more of a heavy snack than a proper main dish.
The restaurant itself is a simple diner-style kind of place, with a few stalls and a large serving counter where the food is prepared. It is in an old building on street level near the entrance to the beautiful Old Royal Naval College, so it is an ideal place for a quick meal in this lovely town. The menu here is not extensive, centering on many types of pies and, of course, about two preparations of jellied eels.
The service was rough but friendly at the same time. You get a sense this more of a regular place for locals than a tourist restaurant.
All in all, Goddards is great value for money if you want traditional British fare in Greenwich.

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good 'nosh'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

As Norman said in an earlier review, you don't go to Goddards expecting to eat Marc Pierre White do you? No, instead you get good, traditional, wholesome food at a very decent price. Nothing better than after a stroll through the markets or along the river on a chilly day than tucking into a steak pie...good chunks....better than the minced beef I find. A mug of tea finishes the whole thing off perfectly. Took my brother there in September as he has lived in Canada for 50 years and I wanted him to see what he is missing!

• Visited September 2013