“Perfect for a special treat”
Review of Cake Boy

Cake Boy
Ranked #39 of 324 Bakeries in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Went here on a cold but sunny morning and shared a variety of cakes. Each cake/tart was outstanding. Flavours were perfectly smooth and balanced. Service was friendly and the cafe area was so pretty with fairy lights and comfy chairs.

We will be returning for afternoon tea!

1  Thank Caz160

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My friend and I have been to many places in London for high tea, and this was by far the most unique. We went on a Saturday afternoon and were greeted warmly by Cake Boy himself, Eric Lanlard. After a nice chat with him, we were allowed to choose our own cosy seating area amongst the vibrant pink, orange, and black mod furniture. The shop is bright, buzzy, and cheery with lovely displays of desserts, books, and baking paraphernalia.

Service was lovely and at a leisurely pace. We were served Champagne first - very civilised way to start things off, and refills were offered unprompted. Then two trays shaped like French vanity tables were brought out, one with sandwiches and the other with patisserie. I have never seen high tea with anything other than bite-size sandwiches, but these were generous gourmet sandwiches, three for each of us (smoked salmon on a croissant, chicken caesar on a ciabatta roll, and prosciutto on a baguette). Really sensational and filling.

The desserts were plentiful and beautiful, but alas did not taste as delectable as they looked. Also my friend told me Cake Boy has wonderful cupcakes, so I was disappointed there were not miniature ones included on the dessert tray. They gave us what we could not finish to take home in a cute pink box. For an original and alternative high tea experience, Cake Boy is the place to go.

1  Thank shell202020
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'm afraid that I was thoroughly disappointed, particularly for an afternoon tea priced at 41 pounds a person. We arrived at 4pm which is when we had booked our table for- We spent 5 minutes trying to get a waiters attention after coming in the door, and then the waiter ushered us to sit in a corner and wait until our table was ready. There was a horrible stench of disinfectant. At 20 past 4 I asked if our table was ready and by half past it was. There was an ugly flatscreen TV with the rugby blaring out and the decor needs updating urgently. The cake stands didn't look clean, and the sandwiches were fridge temperature. We were hoping for something made on site but the afternoon tea selection must have all come out of packets when we arrived. The champagne I will say was good quality. While attempting to relax and enjoy the ambience, a waiter and waitress were in the corner watching a video on the waiters phone, and the volume was on loud. Instead of watching the video, perhaps they could have come and asked us if everything was OK, and if we would like a cup of tea etc. We ended up leaving half the food and didn't even fancy taking it home with us in a box. We won't go there again and neither will we recommend it. The Wolseley next to the Ritz has incredible service and does a superb champagne afternoon tea for almost 10 pounds less than what we paid at Cake Boy!!

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I love doing the high tea circuit at the top London hotels, sometimes I love to explore the off the beaten track places to enjoy high tea.

Cake Boy was disappointing for £40 a two tier serving with a glass of champagne and no replenishment. Let me compare this quickly to two top London establishments- the savoy £50 pp with a glass of champagne and they replenish (3 tiers) until you have had enough with exceptional high quality. The same with F&M approx £50 and the 3 tier serving is exceptional.

At Cake Boy the decor is a bit tired and the service is well.... Not as pretentious as the cakes.

The savoury sandwiches tasted like they were made in the morning.

This establishment gets by the owners credentials.

Won't go again, there is better out there.

1  Thank worldtravellerplus77
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Took my mum for afternoon tea at cake boy for her 50th birthday, the food was absolutely fantastic. Lovely savouries, but the deserts were really something special. Unlimited amount of coffee refills and a glass of champagne - really nice touch. The service was great and everyone was quite friendly. The only concern I had was the cleanliness of the tables, carpets and walls. Looked like the place needed a good clean. But other than that, amazing.

Been to Cake Boy? Share your experiences!