“Mixed views”

Ranked #43 of 297 Bakeries in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I went to Cake boy with a friend for afternoon tea and had high expectations which were only partly met. The food was superb - I prefer savoury to sweet so was not disappointed when the sandwiches arrived, all delicious and different (mini croissants etc). The sweets were also delicious and very extravagant. What for me was a bit of a let down was the location and the venue itself. It is in the middle of nowhere and quite difficult to get to. Also the area to sit and have afternoon tea is pretty but tiny and you can hear everyone else a bit too much as space is so limited. The service was also a bit inconsistent; we had to ask for tea a few times and remind the waiter. Finally my friend is a vegetarian and the meat and veggie sandwiches were all served on the same plate. She was not that concerned but am sure you will have others that are not particularly happy. I would recommend and would go back.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having received a birthday gift of 'Afternoon Tea for Two at Cake Boy' (after wow-ing over Eric Lanlard's recipes on TV) I set out with almost no expectations, with the exception of hoping to taste some delicious treats.
I will admit the location is not ideal - it's easy enough to access on public transport from Waterloo station, but there isn't really anything else in the area other than swanky-looking offices and apartments, some of which are still under construction. I would expect, considering Cake Boy has been promoted on Eric Lanlard's television programmes, a more tourist-friendly location.
Once you enter, however, it's definitely worth travelling a little out of the way. The first thing you see is a counter full of mouth-watering cupcakes, muffins and pastries, and we were greeted immediately by a friendly waitress who showed us to our seats.
With such a reputation, and frankly decadent decor, you'd expect a place like this to be rather pretentious, but I found the atmosphere welcoming and comfortable, and the food definitely didn't disappoint!
With a set menu (due to the afternoon tea package) the waitress promptly brought us tea, followed by an exquisite selection of savoury and sweet treats, which we were able to enjoy with a glass of champagne.
The food itself was delicious, if not a little extravagant. Each item was explained to us in detail, including miniature croissants with parma ham, mozzarella and roasted vegetables and rolls with salmon and cream cheese. Desserts were numerous, with miniature macaroons, tarts, eclairs and dessert shots. If you like your food on the plain side, however, I'm not sure it would be right for you.
We were encouraged to take our time, soak in the atmosphere and enjoy the food at our leisure - the last thing I want during a special experience like this is to be rushed along by impatient staff.
Eric Lanlard (the man behind the magic) introduced himself to us, taking the time to ask if we were celebrating an occasion etc - a nice and genuine touch, I felt.

With attentive staff and extraordinary food I found the experience thoroughly enjoyable, though for a self-proclaimed 'cake boutique' I would have like a little more...well, cake!

There are more pictures at my blog here: http://turnthatfrownupsidedown.blog.com/2012/09/12/fifty-one/

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was so looking forward to visiting Cake Boy having seen Eric on tv, but I discovered It to be very small, and for a supposed 'Cake Emporium'... NO CAKES! A few eclairs, tiramisu and some muffins. When I asked if the small selection was all they had, the guy behind the counter said "what more do you want"? ( not in a rude way)... Erm, Cake please. In the end I chose the tiramisu as nothing else appealed. It was fine, but mainly cream. Having bought Wrics books which have a huge array of cakes and pastries etc, I was amazed to find so little here and certainly Wong be returning.

3  Thank Ben_80boy
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Eric Lanlard (this man is very well respected & a bit of a celebrity) did my wedding cake in 2007 & fortunately his base is just a short River walk from my Penthouse which is available to rent on trip advisor and many of my guests go To "Cake Boy". The coffee is nice and strong, His cakes & Muffins are superb, lovely decor and very relaxing, If Your looking to treat yourself to Coffee & Cake............Look no further !! Highly Recommended.

Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

Went to Cake Boy yesterday for lunch with some friends. Hmmmm very underwhelmed. In short it is located in an odd location on Battersea Reach and the place although nice and shiny ( apart from toilets - yuk! ) there's very little atmosphere. We were the only people in there at 12 lunchtime. Ham and cheese croissant was ok, but nothing special and served with dead lettuce which really wound me up. The cakes yes looked great but again were no better than other decent patisserie. What really irritated were the two Italian waiters who a had a poor grasp of English ( had to keep explaining/asking for things ) and who were very much more reactive rather than proactive. Coffee again ok, but I've certainly had better. There are much better places in London for tea and cake! Eric this place could be amazing but you ned to crank things up a notch, notably service and management of the boutique, get someone in with a bit more customer know how and service style.

2  Thank Hantsboy72