“An underrated hotel (based on my recent stay)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Grand London Hyde Park

Park Grand London Hyde Park
Ranked #266 of 1,087 Hotels in London
“An underrated hotel (based on my recent stay)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I was transferred here by the Shaftesbury Metropolis apparently due to maintenance issues and I was somewhat dreading it due to the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. However, my stay was perfectly satisfactory so thought to let people know.

Summary:
A typical London hotel that appears to have been recently refurbished to a very good standard. My room was a one-person and therefore small, but not as small as other London hotels of a similar rating that I've stayed at. All the facilities worked fine, and the breakfast (included due to transfer) was of a higher quality than other similar hotels I've used. Two negatives were: (a) the sink in the bathroom while new was quite small making it awkward to use, and (b) I did not have wifi signal in my room so had to set up a local hotspot from my computer using the wired LAN.

A few other points:
At one point I could hear noise through the wall to next-door when they were being particularly noisy, but I think this was more due to the occupants than the building.
My room (808) was on the ground floor but at the back so while there was a window, it was actually one floor up and overlooked a courtyard containing the air conditioning systems. My window was single glazed so a bit of humming could be heard but it didn't bother me.
I found the staff to be very polite and helpful and so I didn't recognise the problems mentioned by the other reviewers.
When I was transferred, someone from Shaftesbury called me and explained very politely, and then followed up with an email giving me directions to this hotel. For me the transfer was not a surprise.
Perhaps one other thing to mention is that external first impression was not so great because some of the surrounding buildings are not in great shape and the paving nearby had a big pothole, but this was just a first impression.

Overall, I would stay there again and in my experience this hotel is underrated based on the current TripAdvisor reviews.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gourav G, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for the great review, especially for the kind words about our staff! I have shared your words with the team.
Please let me know about your future booking so that I can do the needful to make your stay more comfortable.
Kind regards
Gourav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights 13th and 14th Jul 2012. The room was described as a twin deluxe. Well there was nothing deluxe about it. Tiny and barely room to swing a cat ! I would hate to see what a basic room was like.
The hot water on the 1st night was non existant, when I complained about this, I was told you have to have the hot water running for at least 10 minutes before it will warm up. Well after half an hour I gave up. Although it was much better on subsequent days, after a memeber of staff came and did something, followed by him returning to regrout parts of the floor and walls ! What a ridiculous thing to have to go through.
My bed had a damn great dip in the mattress too. Felt like I was sleeping in a hammock.
English breakfast was what you would expect, basic and not very warm.
For the price, I think you can, and I have had better at preimer inn and travel lodge. Nothing boutique about it, except the size of room. Will not be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you not only choosing to stay in Shaftesbury Premier Hyde Park Paddington, but also for your precious time giving your feedback. I am Sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction and that we could not come up to your expectations.

We do understand the rooms are not that big enough as you must be aware with these victorian buildings it is very difficult to find spacious rooms.

It is very important to rectify our shortcomings and take necessary steps to fix the problems.
Once again, thank you for your review and I hope your experience does not prevent you from visiting us in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Bedlington, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Did not feel very welcomed when we arrived at the hotel just booked us in and staff could hardly raise a smile tiny rooms for the price that we paid £229 for a double room for one night however I had left 3 items of clothing in the wardrobe( jeans T shirt and a jacket) contacted the hotel when i arrived home that night stated that they would check with house keeping they did this on several occasions each time I phoned them and the clothes were know where to be found ! would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gillian S
Dear Guest,

Thank for your review. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused to you on your visit to Park Grand London Hyde Park.
As mentioned, I would like to re investigate about you lost & found.
I request you to please write to me about the description and other relevant details to investigate thoroughly on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Kind regards
Ljubljana, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

we went to this hotel only for one nite. it was very easy to find, it looked nice. we came around four in the afternoon, booked a club double room, but didn't get it. ok, no biggy. the room was very small, didn't have a fridge, a bathrobe, a microwave, like we were promised to get. we fell a sleep in te aftrnoon and some woman came into our room. so she appologised of course but I called the reception and they messed up the rooms. they gave us that woman's room and only god knows what happened to ours. we had a great view on the 7th florr didn't mind the stairs from 6th to 7th. we got complimentary water (that was included in the price but wasn't in the room originally!!!), a couple of coke and some fuit. We would rather have our room, though. the staff was nice, the room was clean, but as i said very small, brakfast was pretty good i must say. not sure if I would go there again. the location was awesome! Not bad but not great either....

Room Tip: not sure about the tip, we wanted our club double but the staff said they are full....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

As we cannot turn back the time and rectify the inconvenience caused, if you could please give our customer service the second chance to serve you and restore your faith in shaftesbury group of hotels.

Kind Regards,

Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I booked a room at the Hyde Park international to be close to my friend's hotel. Two days before I left I found myself moved to the Park Grand due to maintenance. I had paid £129 per night and found myself in a tiny cramped basement room with only a free breakfast to mollify me for the disappointment I felt. I had to find my way around a completely unfamiliar area of London to meet my friend the following morning. The walls of the rooms were very thin and I was woken up everytime someone decided to shower or use their facilities in the night.

On the last morning of my stay I found myself idley googling so I didn't get caught out again by paying through the nose for absolute rubbish. I checked the room prices of the hotel I was at only to find they were on average about £30 cheaper than the hotel I had been moved from. I am absolutely livid that I had, on good faith, paid up front at the hyde park international only to find myself in a room that didn't meet the original specifcations I had booked in and NO ONE, not one member of staff, had the courtesy or honesty to tell me this. I had to find out myself and then complain to management before anything was done.

The manager tried to claim that the rooms at the hyde park international were cheaper than this hotel and that room rates vary but when I responded I had checked the weekend prices and STILL found myself having paid too much she agreed to give me 20% off my bill. I feel only slightly less annoyed now as a result of them having paid me some of my wasted money back but I was left feeling like the hotel was run dishonestly. It was a big stain on what had been a much planned for and anticipated birthday holiday. Please DO NOT book in with these hotels and if you are unfortunate enough to have done so already DO NOT swallow them moving your room without investigating the prices yourself because they won't tell you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WalsallLaura
Gourav G, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valued comments about your recent stay with us and please accept apology for the inconvenience caused due to transfer.
I kindly request you to contact us on housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com to discuss this incident thoroughly.
Best regards
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I made a reservation here last minute through booking.com and was dreading it due to other travelers reviews about being moved to the other location. However, we checked in early afternoon and were given a room right off the lobby. It was very small, but it was clean. The location is unbeatable, a short walk to Hyde Park, Oxford Street, the Underground, and Paddington Train Station. It was a good price for the location, and I would probably stay here again for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay in Shaftesbury Premier Hyde Park Paddington.

Thank you again for your encouraging review - we very much look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

booked via lastminute.com's 'Top Secrect Hotels' option so was expecting much better than a room on the 7th floor.....when lift ends at 6th floor....and having to carry bags up steep narrow staircase to stuffy room in what once must have been an attic/roof space; bedside lights wouldn't turn off so had to remove room key from card reader to sleep in airless room as that meant the air-con couldn't be used and woke to find no cold water properly piped to the bathroom so shower and WC were not properly available.....wasted hour and a half dodging in and out when some cold came through intermintently....reception indicated we would have to wait til 9am for maintainace to arrive ....we calleed at 7.30, will never stay there again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your valued comments about your recent stay with us and please accept apology for the inconvenience caused.
Best regards