New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Park Grand London Hyde Park

Park Grand London Hyde Park
Ranked #265 of 1,078 Hotels in London
CARDIFF. WALES
“I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

I am a seasoned traveller and my TA comments are based on the quality of the hotel according to what I am paying. So here goes. The hotel is just around the corner from Paddington Station. Turn right out of Station, right at next set of traffic lights, its' across the road on the other side. The 23 bus passes the hotel (get on it at Paddington Station though where you can buy the £2.30 ticket from the machine) The 23 runs 24 hours a day. It goes to Marble Arch, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster, Theatre Land, Oxford Street, Regent Street, the Strand and near loads of other main London places including Trafalgar Square and the British Museum. The bus runs every 5 minutes during the long day and also during the night. The bus ride is a pleasant one and saves all the hassle of expensive taxis and tube rides. The 23 is a must if you are staying at this hotel. (We used it to get back from three Theatres after the evening shows, it stopped outside them all) Now the hotel:- I had cause to make an observation and requested a move of room. (I was recuperating from an operation and needed a little more space) The staff were excellent, extremely helpful. My new room was well appointed. King size bed. Shower room a little small and if you are an extremely large person you may find the toilet a little cramped. But, hey ho, the price I was paying was extremely competitive so no complaints from me. It had all the usual accessories. A Mr SWAPNIL assisted us a lot, (he couldn't do enough for us) his manner, as indeed the manner of all the staff was excellent. We did not opt for early breakfast but wandered to a little place we got to know well just a few hundred yards down towards Hyde Park in a cul de sac on the left. (Just off Sussex Gardens Opposite a very nice Indian Restaurant) Right across from the hotel is a cul de sac with one good but small restaurant. Good Value and food. We did not have a car and I was very thankful for that. Down the road is Hyde Park where you can walk right across to Kensington (Harrods etc.and Park Lane) If you fancy a pint in the evening the Pride of Paddington opposite the Station was ok actually. The food there was a little expensive. There are a number of late night shops and restaurant near Paddington Station. Take your pick. We found a very good Indian in a side street, excellent value and service) Mind you one and a half pints of lager at the Pride of Paddington was £6! During our stay we spent all of our time in Central London using the 23 bus as our chauffeur. Anyway, hope this helps you all.

Room Tip: It would appear you should try and avoid a basement room. But for the price even those aren't t...
3 Thank Nofydd
HPPLondon, Manager at Park Grand London Hyde Park, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind compliments and we appreciate that your time taken to share your valuable comments.

We would be happy to have you as our guest the next time you visit Shaftesbury Premier London Hyde Park.

We hope to serve you again soon!!

Thank you!

housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Leigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

The hotel is a good location.. Just 5 minutes walk from the underground at paddington. Eay check in proceedure until we were given the key to a room already occupied with 2 people in the shower, Then the 2nd room was twin beds then the 3rd room was next to the lift on the ground floor and kept getting woken up. Room was pretty basic for an executive room (i think not) My recommendation is look elsewhere.. Also they charge £12 for a breakfast.. DO NOT BOTHER there is a great italian near the underground that does a full english for a fiver

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your valued feedback and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We take our guest’s feedback seriously and act on them without a delay, just so that we could serve you and all our guests better. If at all convenient, we would love to speak to you in person at your preferred time and I have furnished my E Mail address for any direct correspondence to gather a detailed feedback on your experience, as we would like to achieve excellence in all aspects of our Hotel and we would love to take your points and experience on board to get the services better.

Once again, thank you for your time and valued observations. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back to Shaftesbury Premier London Hyde Park, please do let me know if I could be of any assistance, it will be a sheer pleasure to serve you.

Kind Regards

Swapnil Waghe
E-Mail- housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

We had a similar experience to some of the others commenting on this hotel. On arriving at the hotel we had booked, they informed us they had had a burst pipe and were sending us to another hotel (this one). This set off all sorts of alarm bells as I had heard of this scam with elsewhere. Sure enough, using the free internet in the lobby we spotted several other reviewers describing the same experience at this or other sister hotels. If they habitually over book and need to move people around then they should just say this, it would have made little difference. Instead though they blame something else and shuttle you off. The hotel was fine and the staff helpful but I will not be staying at this or any of their other hotels. There are too many competitors to need to take the risk.

Room Tip: Don't worry about choosing a room, you might not even be in this hotel.
2 Thank Steve_mad
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor, I would like to thank you not only choosing to stay with us, but also for your precious time giving your feedback. I am Sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction and that we could not come up to your expectations.

please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

we hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

regards,

E-Mail : housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com
Staffs. UK.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Lets deal with the positives first - the hotel is well located and within easy walking distance of Marble Arch, Oxford St etc. The rate that we paid is great value, its not easy to find a central London hotel at this price. The reception area is luxurious compared withe the rest of the hotel !. The breakfast was quite good and was included in the rate ( even better !),
Checking in was a very long and laborious process( just one receptionist) and by the time we were finished there was an enormous queue behind us, I had a club room which was very small ( but most central London hotels have small rooms), the decor was tired and in need of a makeover, and the room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the main road ( Sussex Gardens). The charming victorian sash window was not double glazed, so things were quite noisy !.
Everything else was just ok - so all in all, not a bad hotel if you are on a tight budget,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Richardi,

Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay in Shaftesbury Premier London Hyde Park.
We take our guest’s feedback seriously and act on them without a delay, just so that we could serve you and all our guests better. If at all convenient, we would love to speak to you in person at your preferred time and I have furnished my E Mail address for any direct correspondence to gather a detailed feedback on your experience, as we would like to achieve excellence in all aspects of our Hotel.

Once again, thank you for your time and valued observations. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back in Shaftesbury Premier London Hyde Park.

Regards,

E Mail- housemanager.hydepark@shaftesburyhotels.com
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were transferred to this hotel from a sister hotel nearby due to building works - taxi called, comp tea while we waited. only round the corner. Very happy. Hotel was friendly and clean. Our room was near the back ( I think, not sure after walking down lots of corridors!) and plenty big enough and modern. Bathroom modern and clean, only slight negative was the shower didnt seem hot enough. We were given complimentary breakfast as we'd been moved and this was very good. Buffet style, loads of choice fruit, croissants etc, full english, yogurt etc. Wasnt sure if we were allowed it for a second morning but a quick phone call to reception and there was no problem. All in all a very pleasant hotel which I could safely recommend and at a very good price for central london. Easy walk to Hyde park or Paddington.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

I booked this room because of the location. Was a bit disappointed, but all in all I had a good stay. The free wifi only worked every now and then and my room was only slightly bigger than my suitcase. There was no floor space whatsoever, and there is no way I could have had another adult in this room, allthough it was supposed to be a double. The bed was 1 1/2, not a double and 2 suitcases iwould have been out of the question. The staff were friendly and helpful, though! And it was great that I could adjust the room temperature myself!

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room there is, it's still going to be very small.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was the second time we have stayed in this hotel establishment. Both times we had excellent rooms, huge space! Mind you first time we had a "club room" with kitchenette and sofa area, and second just a "deluxe double". Both were massively spacious and extremely comfortable beds, kept beautifully clean and some great views out over Paddington, both sides of hotel. (Providing on high floors).... Although, the only issues we have come across here, were finding out they did not read the "special requirements" asked when we booked the room, as told them I had had major back and neck surgery on spinal discs, so needed extra pillows. Had to retell and ask when handed key. Felt it was unprofessional and lack of personal care. Out the lift on 6th floor had to go through door straight on our left, not that unusual in terraced hotels. Suddenly, I was sprawled over the corridor as unexpectedly stepped into "mid air" as 2 very steep/ deep, but small width stairs! I jarred the metal brackets in my back, which were very painful for the rest of my 2 nights. Unfortunately, it meant could not do as much as planned on my trip either, which was very upsetting. After going out of room later, did see a tiny warning sign on the door. It definitely is not big enough for the lethal drop waiting behind the door! If the staff had bothered to read the requirement notes they could have warned us about the drop beforehand, or given us a room without such riskability. Thought I was going to be spending my 2 nights in the hospital down the road!

Room Tip: Risk to health on 6th floor drop, behind door on left out of lift! From reading other reviews, perha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family