“great value very pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Grand London Hyde Park

Park Grand London Hyde Park
Ranked #262 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Bristol, United Kingdom
“great value very pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We were transferred to this hotel from a sister hotel nearby due to building works - taxi called, comp tea while we waited. only round the corner. Very happy. Hotel was friendly and clean. Our room was near the back ( I think, not sure after walking down lots of corridors!) and plenty big enough and modern. Bathroom modern and clean, only slight negative was the shower didnt seem hot enough. We were given complimentary breakfast as we'd been moved and this was very good. Buffet style, loads of choice fruit, croissants etc, full english, yogurt etc. Wasnt sure if we were allowed it for a second morning but a quick phone call to reception and there was no problem. All in all a very pleasant hotel which I could safely recommend and at a very good price for central london. Easy walk to Hyde park or Paddington.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I booked this room because of the location. Was a bit disappointed, but all in all I had a good stay. The free wifi only worked every now and then and my room was only slightly bigger than my suitcase. There was no floor space whatsoever, and there is no way I could have had another adult in this room, allthough it was supposed to be a double. The bed was 1 1/2, not a double and 2 suitcases iwould have been out of the question. The staff were friendly and helpful, though! And it was great that I could adjust the room temperature myself!

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room there is, it's still going to be very small.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was the second time we have stayed in this hotel establishment. Both times we had excellent rooms, huge space! Mind you first time we had a "club room" with kitchenette and sofa area, and second just a "deluxe double". Both were massively spacious and extremely comfortable beds, kept beautifully clean and some great views out over Paddington, both sides of hotel. (Providing on high floors).... Although, the only issues we have come across here, were finding out they did not read the "special requirements" asked when we booked the room, as told them I had had major back and neck surgery on spinal discs, so needed extra pillows. Had to retell and ask when handed key. Felt it was unprofessional and lack of personal care. Out the lift on 6th floor had to go through door straight on our left, not that unusual in terraced hotels. Suddenly, I was sprawled over the corridor as unexpectedly stepped into "mid air" as 2 very steep/ deep, but small width stairs! I jarred the metal brackets in my back, which were very painful for the rest of my 2 nights. Unfortunately, it meant could not do as much as planned on my trip either, which was very upsetting. After going out of room later, did see a tiny warning sign on the door. It definitely is not big enough for the lethal drop waiting behind the door! If the staff had bothered to read the requirement notes they could have warned us about the drop beforehand, or given us a room without such riskability. Thought I was going to be spending my 2 nights in the hospital down the road!

Room Tip: Risk to health on 6th floor drop, behind door on left out of lift! From reading other reviews, perha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stay in London every week and unfortunately my usual hotel was full booked and left with no option but to try another.
Regardless of what rate this hotel room is sold at no body in this day and age should have rooms that are so small you physically have no where to even put your case.
i cant understand what kind of person or traveler these rooms are aimed at because they are that small a borrower would be complaining.
hotels like these need reporting and bringing to peoples attention as with the Olympics arriving very soon it will leave a very bad taste in our friends from overseas mouths.

Room Tip: dont bring a bag or a large jacket into the room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bloggs19
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed here while we were in london watching a show. we were on the 6th floor and didnt really have a view. the room was a bit small but was very clean. the bathroom was nice and the shower was very good. we didnt eat at the hotel as they were trying to charge us £15 each just for breakfast but there is lots of places around to get food. probably wouldnt stay here again but it was ok.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had to stay here last night for one night on short notice. Everything else in London seems to have been booked out.
If you are 4' 6" tall and do not suffer from claustraphobia then this hotel would be fine. I am 6 foot tall and while I don't suffer from claustrophobia, small tight spaces make a little uncomfortable.
The bedroom I had was on the ground floor facing the main road. It was very noisey with only single glazing. To give an idea of the size of the room - the bedroom had one standard size double bed. On either side of the bed there was barely 1 foot of clearance until you hit the wall. You could not comfortably walk around the bed so getting into bed by crawling from the end of it was the only way. Not so bad though if the rest of the room was okay. Well there was 2 feet of clearance between the end of the bed and the wardrobe. And that my friends was the extent of the room, save the bathroom - which was in all honesty not too bad in terms of size and condition.
I entered the room with one average sized wheeled suitcase and a laptop bag. I put them down behind me at the door entrance and at that stage i could not move forward because of the bed and couldn't move backwards because my small amount of baggage was enough to block of the entrance! All in all VERY small. I tend to like to hang up my suit and shirts for the next business day in order that they are not wrinkled. When I attempted to do this I found that the wardrobe was not wide enough to accomodate the width of its own hangers! They hung at an angle, which meant that hanging anything more than two items in the wardrobe resulted in the door being wedged open. This had the affect of bunching up the clothes hanging in the wardrobe and actually encrouching into the already sparse space between the end of the bed and the wardrobe.
To be fair the room was not in bad condition but it is extremely small. I have stayed in other small city hotels before, but this is extremely snug, the smallest i have ever seen. For more than one person travelling with more than one suitcase it would be impossible.
The only other comments I would have is that the whole hotel is 'snug'. The corridors are narrow. Downstairs for breakfast one is inclinded to bend down going through door ways because of the low ceilings in the basement area. I would hate to see the rooms down there if they are as small as mine on the ground floor, coupled with the low ceilings it would be like sleeping in a coffin.

So if you are hobit sized with hobbit sized luggage then go for it. If not I would suggest looking else where or at least preparing yourself for a 'snug' experience.

Room Tip: If you must, choose a room a the back of the hotel away from the road and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

The hotel looks much grander on the outside than the price we paid which immediately reassures you. The rooms are small but are decorated well, are clean, has what you need and comfortable to stay in. The location was quite good - not far from tube stations or buses, which made it an ok base for the tourist attractions and more cost effective than staying in the heart of the West End. I've selected very good as much better than staying in similar hotels and chains of hotels - although if we had paid full price I'd have been less impressed.

It wasn't perfect - the first annoying thing is that it has an entirely different name in gold lettering across the top where you would expect the name of the hotel, which is very disorientating when you're looking for it. We went by the address numbers after spending far too long wandering around and when up close found a small plaque with the name on that we were expecting - If it says Park Lane across the top you have found it! Secondly our key card needed re-setting every night when we returned, very annoying when you've gone up to the third floor, the door doesn't open and then you have to go all the way back down. This happened for the additional two nights we stayed after we checked in.

In all it is a good place to stay, you will often need to change twice on a tube so expect some travelling and if like us you made the most of your day this is not cheap as we travelled at peak times (before 10am and after 4.30pm). Didn't have breakfast as not included in our booking and seemed a bit pricy to add, but the facilities in the room meant we could have a drink easily.

Room Tip: I know that online feedback helped us choose this hotel over others when comparing prices - we were...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family