Travelodge London Crystal Palace
galahotels.com
$288
$277
  • Restaurant
All reviewstravel lodgekent houseconverted office blocksecure parkinghigh streetclean towelsbed was comfortablefamily roomtrain stationcomfortable staynight staygood nights sleepconvenient locationtea and coffeepengebeckenhamwetherspoons
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The customer service and cleanliness of the hotel were exceptional. The bed was very comfortable and I felt very safe. Transport links are good to East Croydon,Gatwick and Central London. The hotel has recently been refurbished and the staff are justifiably proud of it. The friendliness and professionalism of the staff really impressed me. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank wolf97Cyprus
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Liked the reasonably secure off street and ample parking. Reception staff welcoming and helpful - once we found the reception area which was poorly signed from the car park. Room was clean and basically furnished. No shelve or drawers to store clothes. Hangers were insufficient for a 3 night stay and so we lived out of our cases. Bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when I entered the room to find a spacious, well- equipped room with all amenities. The views from the window were panoramic and could even see Canary Wharf. I was very pleased with the comfortable bed and modern bathroom facilities. Well done, Travelodge!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rita G
Reviewed March 21, 2014

This place is located in a fairly run-down area, and as it has no restaurant, it is necessary to drive to find a decent meal, or to walk through a fairly undesirable area. The hotel is completely impersonal. The room furniture, apart from the comfy bed, is poor quality, cheap and nasty - one moulded plastic chair, small desk area, and no easy chairs. Hanging rail, but no drawers or wardrobe. Very small TV, with limited range of channels. Very expensive Wifi - £5 per hour! Poor quality lighting. Curtain held on rail with only four hooks. Bathroom with one tiny bar of soap - no shampoo or other toiletries, and no shower mat or towelling mat. Very slippery plastic shower tray and low grade curtain causing bathroom floor to get wet. All this for a higher cost than other hotels in the district, and far more than one would pay for a good quality 3* hotel in Spain or France!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JeevesCostadelSol
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I recently stayed here for a week. I haven't stayed at a Travelodge for a while as I've preferred Premier Inns. However, I needed somewhere close to London that wasn't too expensive and it fitted the bill very well. I was driving a rental car so that made things a little easier. As normal, I tried to read as many of the reviews on tripadvisor and they helped.

Plus points:

1. The staff are young but very enthusiastic and pleasant.
2. The rooms are big.
3. As the hotel is the top four floors of an office building, the views are very good.
4. The bath towels are huge which is very comforting for a big guy like me.
5. The bed is very comfy.
6. The wifi is actually very good (despite another review) and relatively cheap. I paid only twenty quid for a whole week and the speed was superb.
7. The shower is pretty good (but see comments below).
8. The price is excellent for a place close to London.
9. The existing windows are augmented by another internal set so the noise is kept to a minimum (but see aircon comment below).
10. There seems to be plenty of parking, both undercover and open.

Negatives:

1. While you can see the Crystal Palace TV tower (and Selhurst Park) the area is Penge.
2. The general area is also pretty seedy ('Pungent Penge'?). Many immigrants. I mean, the local McDonald's even has it's own resident tramp.
3. There is only one 'decent' restaurant in Penge (the El Molino gets awful reviews these days so discount it) and that's Friends of Flavours in Green Lane. All the rest are pretty grotty. I have to admit I still don't understand the attraction of Italian food, but FoF has a nice ambience even if it is a bit expensive. (See 'survival techniques' below).
4. The Travelodge does have some irritations itself. Having also stayed at the Terminal 5 lodge (see a separate review) I feel the CP one really needs to be upgraded as follows:
a. Give us a reasonable supply of soap (like T5 where you get soap dispensers in both the main bathroom AND the shower). I resorted to buying my own Foamburst (Cussons Imperial Leather in case you wondered) to augment the 2"x1" bar of soap the TL supplied. Ridiculous.
b. Give us a simple shelf in the shower (like T5) where we can put our shampoo and soap instead of having to reach out of the thing to get the stuff and then spray water all over the floor.
c. Put weights in the bottom of the flimsy shower curtain so the damn thing stays in the shower enclosure and doesn't drip water all over the floor.
d. Make the desk a little big longer (like T5) so that it stretches across to the hanging space.
e. Give us more than one crappy shelf on which to put our clothes. I find it totally appalling that an interior decorator could not design something like this and force me to live out of my suitcase. REALLY irritating. And tacky.
f. While the parking seems quite good, it would be nice if there actually was a swipe machine outside when the shutter door is closed and you don't have to sometimes sit on the buzzer for a long time until someone realises you need to get in to park.
g. I can imagine that in the middle of whatever-passes-for-summer in the UK that it could get a bit warm so aircon might be a useful but expensive addition.

Survival techniques.

1. Get yourself a can of Foamburst for use in the shower.
2. If you want a decent evening meal then get in your car and go to Beckenham which has some good restaurants, starting with Nando's and Pizza Express as good basics.
3. Visit the local Sainsbury's for good snacks and sandwiches (and beer) to keep you going.

Would I go back?

For sure - at those prices it's still a good deal even if the interior designers need a kick up their backsides for leaving out some important details. I would have liked to give it three and a half stars but can't do that on this site.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business