“Proper Jamaican food!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
London
“Proper Jamaican food!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This is a rare find in south London. A real Jamaican restaurant, serving traditional Jamaican food. The food is excellent. My partner and I have eaten here on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. The chef Chris' jerk chicken and pork is wonderful and the oxtail is superb. My only slight criticism is that the service can be a little on the slow side. However, the food speaks for itself which is why they are catering my wedding. A great place to come and chill out and eat wonderful food.

“Second time bad experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The first time I went to Alter Ega,I thought it was amazing (bought a kgb voucher) however went back there and was not happy.We were a party of 4,service was slow....drinks was slow,food was ok... Ask for tempura prawns and was told no problem,it came out NOT tempura,but with the avocado salad that is already on the menu.( i dont eat avo)Specifically didnt want that. Pork could have been cooked longer,and dessert was also a dissapointment this time,even though we ordered same dessert. Bill came to £96,really not happy as the food was 5/10. However the owner is very pleasant and friendly.I doubt that Alter Ega will see me again.

Central London
“Alter Ega Restaurant - A taste of the caribbean”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I friend and I bought a voucher to have a two course meals with four drinks (excellent value) and we were not disappointed.
We had the shared platter of jerk chicken, samosas and spring rolls followed by curried goat.
All was delicious! The gentleman, who ran the restaurant was very friendly and there was a nice caribbean feel about the place.
Very good value for money and an interesting venue. Reccommended!

• Visited June 2012