All reviews northern line tea coffee facilities minute walk ear plugs are provided main road one night road noise quieter room tube station small fridge attending a concert comfortable bed checking out brilliant hotel perfect location free wifi excellent stay
Selected filters
Reviewed June 13, 2017 via mobile

Close to subway, park and good restaurants. Also a small food market close. If you come by car, be sure you reserve a parking space. No breakfast available in the hotel, but right across the street plenty options.
Recommended to use the ear plugs if you mind the subway noise.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2017

My boyfriend and I had a two night stay in this hotel. We arrived before check-in from an early morning flight and the hotel was able to generously accommodate our early check-in (thank you so much!). This also caused us to get a room upgrade (double thumbs up!)! The front desk man went above and beyond showing us to our room, helping us with our bags, and making sure we were comfortable. I'm sorry we probably didn't properly thank him since we were in zombie mode from the traveling.
The room was comfortable with all of the expected amenities in any nice hotel. The only downsides were the inconsistent wifi and weak shower. We loved that it was just outside of the tourist area in the city center (but still a short, convenient commute to the city center) and we were able to get a true local feel. However, it was a bit loud at night, I still slept fine without the provided earplugs. I would definitely recommend - you can't beat the price!

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2017

We stayed for one week in Room 15, an upstairs unit with 2 single beds. One can often acquire the best rate by booking with the Hotel directly on their website.
We were greeted by Gavin, a very nice man who went out of his way to welcome us and show us around the property. In fact, I never saw a staff member the entire time without a smile on their face. They are truly a great team.
This property was well maintained and looks just as it does in the online photos, with no surprises. The surrounding neighborhood was mostly residential, but it had plenty of stores and restaurants on the main road in front of the hotel.
The Clapham South Tube station (Northern Line) is only 2 blocks away and will link you with the entire London Transit system. Several bus lines are also available and stop nearby. With a Visitor Oyster Card, you can travel anywhere you want to go in London safely and quickly.
The room itself was very clean, and despite being a tad bit small, it had everything that we needed, including a closet and several dresser drawers for storage. The bathroom appeared to be a recent renovation and was in great condition. It was more than sufficient in cleanliness and function. The shower had good water pressure and ample hot water was available every time we used it. The single beds were mattresses on wooden frame and they were quite comfortable. The room also had a coffee maker, small refrigerator, cable TV (with lots of channels), and good strong WIFi that worked perfectly the entire stay.
Room service cleaned our room and changed out towels daily while we aere out and about, and they did a great job our entire stay.
If you are interested in cheap eats, I took a city bus to McDonalds in Clapham Common every morning for a cheap L4 ($5) breakfast. In the evening, Dominos Pizza and a local chain called Nando's are within easy walking distance in the other direction from the hotel.
Simply put, this is a great little location away from all the hustle and bustle of Central London, but close enough to Tube into tourist land within 30 minutes or so. As a bonus, South Wimbledon Mall and many good restaurants are also very close in the other direction away from central London.
As for safety, the area seemed very good to me. There are lots of school kids in the area riding buses to school each morning, and working class people are living their normal lives, pushing baby strollers, exercising, and shopping. We felt safe and secure in the area, but the hotel also has key card entry to the hallway and to your room to add to your sense of security. The biggest danger in the area seemed to be walking in front of an oncoming bicyclist on the roadway. They are everywhere on the local London roads, and they are fast and silent. Look both ways!
As others have stated previously, the only real negative to this property is the noise. The rooms with two single beds all face the front of the hotel and road noise at night from sirens and such is (unfortunately) pretty bad. Saturday nights were the worst, as a small convenience store is just across the street. The ear plugs provided by the staff help a lot with this issue, and I was able to sleep well while using them. But we did have one night where the earplugs were mistakenly taken from our room and not replaced (Saturday Night). This turned out to be a terrible night of sirens and other noises that I would not want to repeat.
One other negative for some people is that the rooms have only a table-top fan, and no air conditioning. This is usually no big deal in London, but if it is exceptionally hot outside, this could become very uncomfortable during the day.
In summary, I consider this to be a great place to stay on a moderate budget, if you can handle the street noise and lack of air conditioning. I would certainly stay here again if I return to London, as the noise was not a problem for me when ear plugs were available. The staff were super in every way, and the property was always clean and well maintained.

Room tip: single rooms with 2 beds are on the noisiest side of hotel.
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2017

I stayed here booking 2 rooms with family and the welcome we received from the Brazilian duty member of staff was fantastic. He was extremely helpful and friendly, printing out a route map for us and giving us information on public transport. The rooms were extremely clean and while they are not the most modern, it looked like they had been recently redecorated and provided everything we needed. There are excellent transport links around and many places to eat and drink.
The only downside was the traffic noise in the rooms facing the main road (there were ear plugs on the bedside cabinet!). Luckily we had sampled the excellent late night hospitality of the Avalon pub next door and I slept like a log!

Room tip: Get a room away from the main road if you are a light sleeper.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2017 via mobile

Really nice room, friendly staff, lovely and clean the pub next door was really nice too! Only annoying thing was that trip adviser had it listed in hotels close to Electric Brixton, it said it was 1.1 miles away but when I arrived it was actually 2.4 miles away

Date of stay: April 2017