“Not a ibis 'Style' standard...”

Ibis Styles London Southwark Rose
Ranked #346 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I've toured Europe 6 weeks & choose to stay in all ibis Style where I could. I choose ibis Style over ibis & ibis budget because Styles offers alittle more comfort & facilities.
In this case though I was left confused. This ibis Style should be labeled standard ibis.
Cleanliness was not up to standard, the liquid soap container was empty & not replaced. Evidence that the bathroom basin was not cleaned.
All ibis Styles throughout Europe supplied 2 x bath towels, 2 x hand towels & a floor mat not ibis Southwark London. All that was offered was a floor mat & 2 bath towels.
There were no toiletries supplied like again other ibis Style hotels.
The Bathroom is extremely small, and very difficult when it comes to drying after a shower.
Breakfast may be complementary (questionable when you see the room rate) however it would be great if you could get a seat in the breakfast room & not have to wait fir a table, whilst watching everyone else eating breakfast.
Location - in 2 minds.
Bed & pillow definitely not as comfortable as other ibis hotels.
Didn't really have a comfortable sleep over the 5 night period.
There is a possibility that the bed had bed bugs, as after my first night I woke up to discover that I had 13 bites on my body.
On a positive note, check in was pleasant, some staff nice and say Hello as you walk by
Water, coffee & computer offered in the foyer.
On my next visit to London I will be staying somewhere else & not ibis Style SouthWark Rose.

• Stayed: May 2013
Benrabah, General Manager at Ibis Styles London Southwark Rose, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear reviewer, Apologies for not living up to your expectations. We’ll look into things, but please let me assure you that we certainly do not have ‘an infestation’ at Ibis Styles Southwark Rose Hotel. We have a preventative programme in place in and around the hotel to prevent issues with bugs, rodents etc occurring and have never had any reports of bed bugs. To reassure you we have called in an external contractor to investigate and can confirm that we have seen no evidence that any bugs is certainly not an ongoing problem.
I hope we can welcome you back to Ibis Styles Southwark Rose Hotel in London some time in the future. kind regards, N Benrabah

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles London Southwark Rose

Reviewed May 4, 2013

The good:
- Fairly close to the Underground station
- Very close to Borough Market and the City
- A few nice restaurants around, both along the water and along the main thoroughfare
- Included breakfast (and not just toast but also fruits, yoghurts, and fresh croissants)
- Comfortable room, nice shower, tissues in the room, tea-making facilities, good bed
- Well sound-proofed, as I didn't hear my father-in-law snore in the next room
- Very international staff (Russian, Spanish, French, Indian, etc), who tried their utmost to help us with an additional duvet for my frozen inlaws, due to the cold weather
- Very clean. and housekeeping didn't start at 8 in the hall way already, so nice and quiet as well...

The bad:
- The breakfast room was a bit small and hence often had to wait for seating
- The restaurant serves food that is not worthy of the price --> eat in one of the restaurants along the waterfront or elsewhere
- No washcloth in the bathroom

The ugly:
- No sustainability efforts whatsoever. Even if I tried to keep my towels, they were replaced.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer, Many thanks for your valuable comments you posted on trip advisor. I have taken your comments on board especially the ugly! and I can assure you that we are a property who cares about the environment and we encourage guests to re- use their towels and. Please let me assure you that corrective actions have been taken to prevent similar situations from occurring in the future and I trust that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ibis Styles Southwark Rose in the future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I like Ibis - usually! You normally get a clean, quality, simple hotel - a good standard at a good price.

But this was an Ibis 'Styles' brand - supposed to be a bit more modern and funky. But there was no hiding the fact that this was an old hotel with dated, tired room, that had simply been given a very superficial 'lift' with a splash of colour here and there. Really the rooms need a proper and complete refurb.

But the worst was that the TV didn't work, and no one was able to fix it for me (the maintenance man was 'off duty' - they did offer me a substitute room to be fair) - and then I woke up in a sweat at 3am and had to open a window as the air con in my room wasn't working either.

There were clearly a few cost savings in this hotel such as only a shower and no bath, and also no cooked breakfast available (though the breakfast on offer wasn't bad).

When I checked out, no-one asked me how my stay was - so I didn't get a chance to tell them it was bad.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear reviewer, Firstly, I would like to begin by sincerely apologising for the standard of service you received on this occasion. This is certainly not a true reflection of the high quality upon which we pride ourselves on at Ibis Style Southwark Rose hotel. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. I hope you will give us another opporunity to welcome you back. Kind regards, Nawel Benrabah

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this Hotel for 4 nights. I searched the net and found the cheapest prices on the Ibis web site. The hotel was very good value for money. The breakfast was also included in the price. We had a room overlooking the car park at the back with a great view of The Shard. We had the windows open all night (Hotel was warm) and it was lovely and quiet. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. The South Bank, The Tate and The Shard were all just 5 - 10 mins away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear reviwer, Many thanks for posting your positive comments with Trip advisor. We aredelighted you have enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon at the Ibis Styles Southwark Rose hotel.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is very clean and neat, rooms were good and beds great. The only problem was that one had to pay a lot for parking even though it was on the grounds. They have a meter installed which calculates the tariff at a rate where you might as well could have stayed at another 4star for 2 more nights with similar facilities. Staff did not understand English very well, and they were much more unfriendly than friendly. Breakfast was boring and not at 4star level. will not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear reviewer, Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. I was disappointed to hear that our services were not up to standard but please let me explain Whilst we are a multi-national company that employs staff from a diverse range of backgrounds, it is a requirement that all staff have a certain level of fluency in English. Breakfast is included in your room rate with a variety of pastries, cold meat...and I am also sorry that you felt that it was not a 4* as we are not a 4*property. Thank you again for your feed back and we hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back.
kind regards, Nawel Benrabah

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in april 2013. The hotel is completely new or refurbished. The size of the rooms is good considering you are in a large city. Everything was absolutely clean. Very good beds. Continental breakfast was good and constantly refilled. For an extra price of 5£ you can upgrade to a full English breakfast. Staff was very helpfull. Location is perfect to visit the Tate Modern and the Shakespeare Globe (7 minute walk). Only negative that we can think of is the fact that the airconditioning could only heat and not cool. I hope that is different in summer. Ask for a room facing the parking lot. Other reviews told us that there is a lot of traffic noise in street side rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank traveladdict3500
Benrabah, General Manager at Ibis Styles London Southwark Rose, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the hotel services and it's location. We hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here while on holiday in London from April 16 to April 24. Contrary to the hotel amenities listed on TripAdvisor, I was informed at check-in that the hotel did not have a fitness centre. As I got more than enough exercise walking around London -- enough to lose four pounds or almost two kilograms -- a fitness centre was hardly necessary in retrospect.

The overall stay was quite satisfactory:

- The hotel was clean and felt safe, especially since only those with key cards had access to the elevators and stairs.

- The room was clean and everything was in good repair.

- The buffet breakfast offered a good range of choices and was filling.

- There was a general feeling of competence in how everything was run, with no unexpected surprises.

- There is a reasonably good range of restaurants in the area, and the neighbourhood felt safe while out into the mid-evening hours.

A couple of points worth noting:

- TV channels are largely limited to the British terrestrial networks and a handful of British and foreign cable/satellite networks. If it's important to you to have access to, say, Sky News or CNN, these channels are not available. (Not a big deal to me.)

- If you need more than 15 minutes of Internet access, or need to upload pictures/video or do some printing, there is an inexpensive Internet cafe about a 15-minute walk away, on the west side of the Borough High Street just south of the Borough underground station. Otherwise, there is also an Internet terminal in the lobby, though the machine can be wonky. (It occasionally freezes when starting up, and occasionally has the web browser rotated 90 degrees to the left for some odd reason.)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Benrabah, Manager at Ibis Styles London Southwark Rose, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking time to review our hotel’s services. I am happy your stay was smooth and not having fitness facilities did not disappoint you.
I hope our team will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,