“Disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
Ranked #46 of 573 London B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I was disappointed by The Main House. The carpets were dirty; the rooms looked liked they hadn't been painted in years; the towels were threadbare; and, most importantly, the rooms didn't lock properly. Our family had booked two separate bedrooms and the owner didn't seem to think it was important to provide keys to both of them. She only provided a key for the second bedroom when I requested it. In addition, she was angry that I asked. Furthermore the rooms lock from the inside with keys only. There is no way to lock the door from the inside without a key, which could make it difficult to exit the room quickly in the event of a fire or other emergency. The Main House is inexpensive, but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank matildarmh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

I recently stayed for seven nights at The Main House with my mum. We wanted B&B style accommodation in central London but with separate bedrooms, which basically meant double the price everywhere I looked! Then I came across The Main House's French Suite, which has a bedroom and a separate living room that can be made up as a bedroom, plus a separate bathroom. The price was very reasonable and I love the area. So we booked it.

This property is not going to suit absolutely everyone. If you are after 5 star amenities this is not the place for you. If you are after a place to stay with real character and charm, that lets you feel like you are actually living like a local, then you will love it - as we did. Yes, there are some minor issues - I get the point about the towels, breakfast is restricted to tea and coffee, and we never did work out how to lock our doors, but we had the most wonderful stay and coming home each evening was a true pleasure!

The furniture is eclectic and a little kooky, but quite sophisticated at the same time. The artwork and decor are evocative and lots of fun. The tea served in a silver tea set each morning is lovely and Caroline and Moa were ready to assist whenever needed (we arrived at 5.30 in the morning and Moa was waiting at the door to let us in!). The heating if efficient and the free Wi-fi very welcome. The French Suite's bathroom is small but perfectly formed, and I'd say recently renovated. Bring your own toiletries or pick them up at Boots.

I was a little apprehensive about the walk to the tube, but that turned out to be totally fine, and the 23 bus into the West End literally stops just around the corner. Whiteleys at Bayswater is a great option for label shopping as there usually never a soul there and it's in easy walking distance from The Main House.

Much has been said about the local cafes for breaky, and Portobelo Road which is half a minute's walk. Even though you get a discount at Tom's for breakfast we didn't much like it. Gails is good and I think you get a discount there too (although it was so cheap we didn't bother to ask) and the baked eggs at the Daylesford cafe down from Tom's are amazing. Also try Charlies towards the top of Portobello Road back towards the tube.

All in all, I would highly recommend The Main House if you are after something a little out of the ordinary that will really add to your stay in this amazing city. It’s a great back-story to my vintage gold cuffs picked up at the Portobello Road antique markets, which I’ll always treasure.

Room Tip: French suite gives you two separate sleeping areas.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Adam F
Venice Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have just recently stayed at The Main House ( for the fourth time) and found it welcoming, comfortable and lovely ---after leaving a high-end hotel in Paris, it was like coming home.
Our room was ready for us even though we arrived a little early, and both Caroline and Moa were there to greet us. We spent 4 wonderful days, walking to Portobello Road, eating at fantastic restaurants in the area, visiting some of our favorite stores and returning to our relaxing room at the Main House. Every request we had was graciously granted. Will always stay at The Main House---if I can get in.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 2 or the 4 rooms and I cannot imagine that there is a bad room. There is only one...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marsha G
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I travel a lot, for business and pleasure and do what I can to stay away from big hotel chains in search of places that are intimate, have character and allow me to experience my destination as if I were a local.
On a recent trip to London, my fiance and I found just that.
The Main House is a classic, small boutique hotel that feels more like you're staying at the very stylish home of a good friend rather than a hotel.
The rooms are a fabulous Left Bank chic with hardwood floors, crisp white linens on the beds, Belgian linen drapes and original artwork. There are only a handful of rooms and very beautifully appointed so it's hard to choose.We loved ours for the very spacious bedroom (how often do you get that in London), huge bathroom complete with claw foot tub and of course the style of the place.
Caroline Main, the owner, took every care and made sure we had what we needed, including fresh brewed coffee served in silver and delivered to the room every morning at the time we asked. We never felt rushed to leave the room for the dreaded housekeeping! call and with our own key to the building did feel like we actually lived there.

So, from someone who spends half her life in hotels: If you love individuality and a very private ambiance with class at every turn, you're headed to the right place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VVVM
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Main House for a week in September 2011. The room was everything we expected and perhaps even a little more than we had expected. Our room occupied the entire first floor of what I think is a beautiful Georgian Mansion - huge bathroom and living room, tastefully but minimally decorated with a very comfortable bed. We knew before we arrived that breakfast was not served, and the tea in the mornings on a silver tray was a real treat - we bought ourselves a packet of biscuits and enjoyed those with our morning tea or coffee. The recommended cafes around the corner are very, very good and we brought wine and cheeses back to our room after a busy day sightseeing. The Main House is around a half kilometre from Notting Hill Gate Tube Station and the bus stop is almost outside the front door. We heard no noise from rooms above, no noise from the stairwells and used the communal fridge to store small amounts of cheese, etc. I've read comments about strict rules but we didn't experience any such negatives. Moa was our manager during our stay and she was most helpful and accommodating. We'd stay here again, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DandJS
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed a week at The Main House, quiet and well-situated in luxe Notting Hill. Our room was quite spacious with lovely tall windows and natural light. It was well-furnished with white linens, wood floors, and sparse antiques -- all stylish, if perhaps a little masculine.

All in all, it's great value for London -- stylish and quiet with ample space.

I found owner Caroline to be very helpful and lovely...

Downside: The beds are very firm, uncomfortable. And there is no breakfast at this bed and breakfast: it's tea or coffee only. Our guest attendant forgot coffee on Saturday morning and was late with it another day.

There is a terrific cafe one block away where we enjoyed our morning lattes and casual food / brunch, including poached pear waffles and vegan couscous salads. Veg-friendly...

It's around the corner from high-end fashion and artisanal stores of all sorts. Walk to two tube stops in 10 minutes. One block from famous Notting Hill Antiques Market / Carnival. Fun!

She also provides discounted guest access to a posh private health club with luxurious amenities...

I would stay here again. Next time, I'd take the spa and soften it up with candles and fresh flowers. Needs a little softening...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VedAura1111
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

Location is great,next to hip Westbourne Grove, with many bus stops nearby and to a 10 min walk to the tube (district line taking you to the touristy places). It was a real pleasure to come home at night, to a peaceful hood away from the crowds. And on Saturday of course you are 30 secs away from Portobello Road.

Rooms are gorgeous, sunny, huge for London standards but cosy at the same time. Furniture is very comfortable and antiquy, providing accommodation a big personality.

Moa is charming and very helpful indeed with good Info on places and sightseeing tips.

I highly recommend it. It might be pricey for some people but it is worth every penny. I have been in London in worse and much more expensive hotels. I will come back for certain. As for the booking I did book one month in advance and got the second floor room with the huge bathroom.

• Stayed November 2011