“My favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Main House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Main House
Ranked #46 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Venice Beach
“My favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have just recently stayed at The Main House ( for the fourth time) and found it welcoming, comfortable and lovely ---after leaving a high-end hotel in Paris, it was like coming home.
Our room was ready for us even though we arrived a little early, and both Caroline and Moa were there to greet us. We spent 4 wonderful days, walking to Portobello Road, eating at fantastic restaurants in the area, visiting some of our favorite stores and returning to our relaxing room at the Main House. Every request we had was graciously granted. Will always stay at The Main House---if I can get in.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 2 or the 4 rooms and I cannot imagine that there is a bad room. There is only one...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Marsha G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I travel a lot, for business and pleasure and do what I can to stay away from big hotel chains in search of places that are intimate, have character and allow me to experience my destination as if I were a local.
On a recent trip to London, my fiance and I found just that.
The Main House is a classic, small boutique hotel that feels more like you're staying at the very stylish home of a good friend rather than a hotel.
The rooms are a fabulous Left Bank chic with hardwood floors, crisp white linens on the beds, Belgian linen drapes and original artwork. There are only a handful of rooms and very beautifully appointed so it's hard to choose.We loved ours for the very spacious bedroom (how often do you get that in London), huge bathroom complete with claw foot tub and of course the style of the place.
Caroline Main, the owner, took every care and made sure we had what we needed, including fresh brewed coffee served in silver and delivered to the room every morning at the time we asked. We never felt rushed to leave the room for the dreaded housekeeping! call and with our own key to the building did feel like we actually lived there.

So, from someone who spends half her life in hotels: If you love individuality and a very private ambiance with class at every turn, you're headed to the right place.

5 Thank VVVM
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Main House for a week in September 2011. The room was everything we expected and perhaps even a little more than we had expected. Our room occupied the entire first floor of what I think is a beautiful Georgian Mansion - huge bathroom and living room, tastefully but minimally decorated with a very comfortable bed. We knew before we arrived that breakfast was not served, and the tea in the mornings on a silver tray was a real treat - we bought ourselves a packet of biscuits and enjoyed those with our morning tea or coffee. The recommended cafes around the corner are very, very good and we brought wine and cheeses back to our room after a busy day sightseeing. The Main House is around a half kilometre from Notting Hill Gate Tube Station and the bus stop is almost outside the front door. We heard no noise from rooms above, no noise from the stairwells and used the communal fridge to store small amounts of cheese, etc. I've read comments about strict rules but we didn't experience any such negatives. Moa was our manager during our stay and she was most helpful and accommodating. We'd stay here again, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DandJS
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed a week at The Main House, quiet and well-situated in luxe Notting Hill. Our room was quite spacious with lovely tall windows and natural light. It was well-furnished with white linens, wood floors, and sparse antiques -- all stylish, if perhaps a little masculine.

All in all, it's great value for London -- stylish and quiet with ample space.

I found owner Caroline to be very helpful and lovely...

Downside: The beds are very firm, uncomfortable. And there is no breakfast at this bed and breakfast: it's tea or coffee only. Our guest attendant forgot coffee on Saturday morning and was late with it another day.

There is a terrific cafe one block away where we enjoyed our morning lattes and casual food / brunch, including poached pear waffles and vegan couscous salads. Veg-friendly...

It's around the corner from high-end fashion and artisanal stores of all sorts. Walk to two tube stops in 10 minutes. One block from famous Notting Hill Antiques Market / Carnival. Fun!

She also provides discounted guest access to a posh private health club with luxurious amenities...

I would stay here again. Next time, I'd take the spa and soften it up with candles and fresh flowers. Needs a little softening...

2 Thank VedAura1111
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

Location is great,next to hip Westbourne Grove, with many bus stops nearby and to a 10 min walk to the tube (district line taking you to the touristy places). It was a real pleasure to come home at night, to a peaceful hood away from the crowds. And on Saturday of course you are 30 secs away from Portobello Road.

Rooms are gorgeous, sunny, huge for London standards but cosy at the same time. Furniture is very comfortable and antiquy, providing accommodation a big personality.

Moa is charming and very helpful indeed with good Info on places and sightseeing tips.

I highly recommend it. It might be pricey for some people but it is worth every penny. I have been in London in worse and much more expensive hotels. I will come back for certain. As for the booking I did book one month in advance and got the second floor room with the huge bathroom.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Spagleek
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

My sister and I just returned from a trip to London. I always do a lot of research when planning trips because I want to make sure I stay in great places without breaking the bank. The Main House was a perfect choice. It's located in Notting Hill, right by shops and restaurants with buses around the corner and the tube a short walk away but still very residential. Our room was lovely-- with large windows, lots of sunlight, and a bathroom large enough for two women to share. The owner, Caroline, will give you excellent advise about anything you need (ask her to send you to the Pakistani restaurant near Spitafields Market) and her assistant, Moa, who is wonderful, will take great care of you. Thanks to both for a fabulous trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily3307
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Having attempted to check in at The [inevitably-full] Main House on every visit to London for the past 2 years, I had pretty high expectations when finally we managed to bag a reservation. Staying in one of the large apartment-like suites here, you can enjoy a fantasy life as a Notting Hill resident. As a homesick expat of over 2 years, this meant the world to me. When your body clock's 4 hours ahead, breakfast takes on a strange significance, and it's great to have an infinite choice of fab places to polish off some quality eggs. Come 8am every day, we were battering down the doors at Tom's Deli, the Electric, 202, Daylesford and Lucky Seven (who do an excellent rendition of my favourite breakfast: huevos rancheros). We loved meeting up with friends who live in the neighbourhood and popping in and out of shops like Joseph, Helmut Lang and Agent Provocateur. At Seven, I tried on about 500 pairs of jeans, while the charming assistants cooed over all the silly toys my husband had bought at the marvellous R.S. Currie's on Westbourne Grove. To be fair, he was less entranced by The Main House than me. His issues: the stairs (we made an almighty racket humping luggage up and down them at 5am), the zipped-together bed (a pet hate), the plumbing (plenty of hot water though), an admittedly scant supply of (old and unfluffy) towels, the curtains (definitely not blackout, rather a godsend for peeping Toms), the mismatched antiques and the creaky floorboards. But then he's a 5 star luxury boy and this is an entirely different proposition. For the first time visitor to the area, Caroline Main, a truly delightful host, is offering something very distinctive, soulful and charming here (quite apart from the unbeatable value): a genuine insight into life in a unique London enclave. I enjoyed my stay very much.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first floor to avoid stairs!
4 Thank DanielleNay