“Great location, friendly staff, British home but get your own cab”
Review of 22 York Street

We can't find prices for this accommodation
22 York Street
Ranked #92 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I chose 22 York for location, small size and previous reviews. It is a short cab ride from Paddington station connected by train from Heathrow Airport. Again it is another short cab ride to St. Pancras for EuroStar to Paris. For public transportation, Baker Street tube and buses on Baker Street are convenient. I like the friendly staff, breakfast room, lounge, and computer. My room facing away from street is quiet but York street does not seem to be busy with traffic. My only complaints are (1) hot water for shower is weak at times (2) wireless also weak at times but there is a basement computer which is always vacant (3) do not ask hotel to call cab. That "cab" does not have meter and charges double the amount a cab would normally charge.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sywu
There are newer reviews for 22 York Street

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is an eclectic place: feels good from the moment you go through the door. We wanted to drop bags off at 10.30 a.m. - No problem they said, and when we did, our room was almost ready, indeed was ready after a coffee in the cosy first floor lounge. We also wanted to leave our bags the following day until the early afternoon - again, no problem. They gave us a front door key and we let ourselves in.

The room was good - and a basement lounge has a computer and printer - great if you want to check in for a flight and print your boarding pass.

Breakfast was great at the communal curved table - fresh croissants, cheese, good coffee, bread - all served for as long as you want to eat. I'll stay there again when I need another night in London, and its 5 mins walk from Baker St tube!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This B&B is value for money given its central location and is a little gem. It is within easy walking distance of the Baker street tube and theatre district. The building has a charm about it which is reflected in the downstairs study (computer access available), first floor residents lounge where tea and coffee is available and in the communal kitchen table where breakfast is served.

In fact it is the communal breakfast which really adds to the character and charm of the place and both times I have stayed here I have found it a lovely experience. Breakfasts are a continential buffet style with attentive hosts waiting on - you can eat as much as you like and take as long as you like.
Both bedrooms I stayed in were clean with comfy beds. The one at the back of the house was quieter. I will certainly stay here again

Room Tip: Ones at the back of the property may be quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed with a friend in a ground-floor twin room and we were both very happy with our stay, especially with the fact that there was no traffic noise at all and the place is full of character. To me, what other people described as "tired" decor is actually quirky and interesting. I've stayed in plenty of B&Bs where the decor WAS tired and the carped smelt musty -- none of this here thanks to wooden floors. Our room was spacious and included a lovely old piano and a painted wardrobe. Everything was very clean, the shower was good and the beds comfortable. As for noise from other rooms, we didn't hear any apart from people coming into the hall onto which our room opened. Good breakfast with very fresh pains au chocolat. Unlike other commentators, I don't think a cooked breakfast adds value to a B&B, having had plenty of very average experiences.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laurence L
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I was happy with most aspects of my stay (the reception was friendly, the room was good, the food was ample, and so on). However, my stay was needlessly spoilt. I had a crisis at 7 am and I found the two people who dealt with this were unsympathetic. One of them was very rude. I had flushed the toilet and went to get on with my packing. Suddenly I realised there was running water. I rushed to the bathroom thinking I'd left the tap running but no, the cistern was overflowing. I quickly removed the cistern lid thinking this was the only way to stop the water - maybe the ballcock had stuck. Now I'm no expert on plumbing (72-year-old women rarely are!) and the cistern continued to overflow. I quickly dressed, rang the number for emergencies (201), got no answer, so I ran downstairs and called for help.

The female manager met me and came to help, and then went for the male manager. He chided me for having removed the cistern lid, stopped the flow and left. He seemed to be suggesting the overflow was all my fault. "It had never happened before" . He also suggested that I had not rung the emergency number!

I was too shaken to have a shower after this - but gathered myself together and went for breakfast.

I paid my bill - I did not expect any discount for my inconvenience but I would have appreciated an apology. I got none. I shall not recommend this B&B to anyone else although that's a pity - a little sense of humour and compassion for me would have gone a long way to smooth things over. Now I'm back in Australia I see that a potentially happy stay was spoiled by the management's lack of people skills.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Eileen P
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The only comment i'd like to add re 22 York Street is the fact that there is a lot of noise penetration between floors, so stay on the top floor if you can. They are tiny but quiet.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank lindasydney1
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Nothing is good value in London, but given that, 22 York Street provides a quiet haven away from the hustle and bustle outside. It is situated in a quiet street between Baker Street and Gloucester Place, 2 very busy and noisy streets and is not too bad, police sirens notwithstanding! The building is old and as such the rooms are a bit outdated, but are clean and quite comfortable, although the furniture is somewhat dated, minimal and old and the carpets a little threadbare in places! The bathrooms are clean and functional, with both hand and bath towels, always clean and fresh. The building can be very warm in the summer as there is no air-conditioning and the rooms can be very stuffy. I have stayed here several times a year for many years and have always had a friendly welcome from a succession of ladies managing the place for Michael Callis the owner, who spends much of his time in Switzerland, where he also owns a small hotel. The current lady manager is very helpful, keeps the place in great shape and there is always a really nice breakfast on offer - everything but not cooked! 22 York Street is handy for Baker Street tube station, close to buses for the city in Baker Street and from the city in Gloucester Place, just a few steps away. There are a number of small cafes and restaurants closeby, as well as a Tesco just along the road. A good place to stay for just one night or several nights but do not expect any of the comfort items associated with bigger hotels or even B&B's outside London! It is expensive for what it is, but then, where in London is not!

Room Tip: try and get a room at the back of the building, as it can be a bit quieter
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business