“Damn hip hipster joint in the heart of Hip-town”

Ace Hotel London Shoreditch
Ranked #335 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London
“Damn hip hipster joint in the heart of Hip-town”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Ace Hotel in London is like some cool lad's open house and everyone's invited. There is zero stuffiness here, no plush carpets, no stiff doorman, no snooty hotel clerk. It's all about nonchalance, hanging about, having a drink, meeting your mates, watching everyone, envying everyone's clothes, wanting all the furniture, thinking about changing jobs, maybe being a photographer....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank RoomWithAReview
Martin N, EA at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments in regards to your stay at Ace hotel London. We’re overjoyed that you liked the hotel’s design and atmosphere. We wanted to create an environment that people wanted to hang out and have a drink while meeting mates.

We hope you come and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cornwall
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was excited to find that Ace Hotels had arrived in the UK and even more excited when the opportunity came to have a sleep over in the city!

The best thing about the hotel by far was the staff especially those in the lobby and behind the front desk. The help the team gave to get a last minute dinner reservation was fantastic, If I could remember their names I would mention them personally. They were all so friendly and helpful.
I agree with other reviewers that the decor in the rooms in particular might not be to everyones taste but it was very clean, new and I liked the difference .
It was a cool place to hang out both by day and night, we had brunch at Hoi polloi which I really loved, great decor, friendly staff and tasty food ( though portion sizes might be considered small for those with a hungry appetite!)

Downside we had to wait for 30 mins for cocktails at 2230 ...which was very annoying they need more staff behind the bar on a saturday night.

I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel and higher floors are quieter Lobby Bar gets busy on a saturday nigh...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Martin N, EA at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Many thanks for your comments on your stay at Ace Hotel London. We strive to create an ambiance that makes our guests feel at home and in ultimate comfort. The staff at Ace, place the upmost importance in giving all our guests as pleasurable a stay as possible and so we really appreciate it when we get positive feedback. The Housekeeping team work very hard on maintaining the high level of cleanliness within the hotel and I will pass your comments onto them.

We hope to have you back at Ace Hotel London.
London
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a very cool and trendy hotel. The décor is very unusual and may not be to everyone's taste. Our room was spacious and comfortable but not luxurious. It was equipped with an acoustic guitar and condom!

The staff were very friendly and not typical hotel employees. I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review on Ace Hotel London. We really appreciate feedback from our guests. Providing exemplary customer service is central to the Ace Hotel ethos and so to read that you feel our staffs was friendly and are more than typical hotel employees makes us smile.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We came for cherrystones dj set which was amazing, the music was great we spent a lot of money at the bar downstairs which isn't the point, the night was advertised until 1am at 12am after buying a very expensive round the security demanded that we finish & leave? Nobody told us it was finishing earlier than billed, it was quiet so we understand but we were bullied by 4 security to finish or drinks even though we'd just bought them horrible attitude from obviously bored security even though we were the only paying customers in the bar. Targeted us like some kind of criminals. Good music bad location.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Nadeandowney
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Nadeandowney,

I was sorry to hear about your recent experience at the Ace Hotel Shoreditch. The hotel does strive to ensure that our security team are experienced and deal with any situation in with minimum fuss.

It would appear that on this occasion they have acted in a manner which is not becoming of our level of service. I am sorry that you and your friends were treated in this way and I would like to assure you that this will not be repeated.

I am glad that you enjoyed the music on the night, and I hope that you will return in the near future.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

First of all, we were really looking forward to staying here… I had booked a Superior Deluxe Double because I wanted a turntable and guitar. I was happy to pay extra for this and did so.

On arrival things looked good, nice foyer and friendly staff.

We checked in fine but when we got the room there was no turntable or guitar. So, I went to back to reception and they tried to tell me that only some rooms have this. I told them that their website said otherwise - it states SOME Deluxe Double Rooms' have turntable/guitar but ALL Superior Deluxe Double have them. They apologised and said they would move us but it they would need to get another room ready so all fine. But, this took nearly two hours. During which time we were sat in the nice foyer/bar area drinking the pricey drinks. It was only when I chased them up for the 3rd time we were offered a complimentary drink. We were on a short break in London and could think of better ways to spend our first couple of hours.

When we finally got to the room it had the turntable/guitar - great! But, it was much bigger than the first room we saw. What did they try and fob me off with the first time? Although we had a decent room now, this left a bad taste as I felt this was either dishonest or incompetent. I had paid extra for a better room and expect to be given this!

The room was OK. Great bed and sofa but the rest was a mixed bag. Serious lack of tea and coffee making provisions (2 tea bags and a kettle that wouldn't fit in the sink and had to be boiled on the floor as there was nowhere for it to site as it's stored in a plastic tray!).

Decor and fittings are generally average and it looks as though things have been 'tarted' up to look better than they are. Bathroom ok but basically a budget hotel bathroom painted in 'edgy' colours.

Also, it was really noisy. Building work going on in the hotel and outside too. I realise that the work out side is beyond the control of the hotel but the windows aren't remotely sound proof so if you want a lie in, forget it.

When I emailed the hotel asking for my receipt (third time of asking) I raised my issues, to give them a chance to respond but was completely ignored. This was their response to my lengthy email:

"Please find attached the copy of the invoices you have requested.
And please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

So, they clearly don't care about their customers either. This was 2 weeks ago so they've had plenty of time.

And Ace Hotel - please don't put some generic answer on here because it will be embarrassing. You had your chance to deal with this and if you really cared you would have done so.

NB. I have since noticed that Superior Deluxe Double rooms have been removed from the website. It would be speculation to suggest a reason for this.

5 Thank missingchannel
Dear Missing Channel,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor, I was sorry to read about the issues that you experienced during and after your stay.
All of our rooms do vary in size, and have their own individual quirks. I would like to assure you that there was no intention to mislead or upset you. The hotel has been open for just over two months and we are working through a few minor kinks. All of our superior rooms do have turntables and guitars in them but it would appear that on this occasion the turntable had been moved out of the room and not replaced.

I am extremely disappointed to read about the length of time it took to get a copy of your invoice and then your feedback in relation to your stay was totally ignored. I have spent some time this week trying to get to the bottom of where your email was sent and who responded to it both to no avail.

I would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss the matter further. I would like to assure you that we take customer service very seriously and I would appreciate hearing your feedback directly so that we can learn from this experience and ensure that it is not repeated.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked this hotel on the advice of a family member who just happens to be a interior architect who said he had visited other hotels throughout the world belonging to this chain, saying they were fine. Now when asking for a quiet room we were put into a disabled persons room and stayed there thinking it would be fine, it was spacious but very spartan with no tea or coffee making facilities apart from a kettle? When enquires were made to the front desk we were informed that there was a coffee shop by the restaurant area were we could purchase a cup of coffee.
Our interior architect family member has a good look around the room and was amazed by the sub-standard finnish to some of the items in the room. Wardrobe doors were just MDF material and they hadn't even been finnish off just painted over the rough edges. There was a mini bar and bottles of spirits in the room which was a nice touch, usual hotel prices.
In hind sight it would have helped if we had been asked if we minded being in a disabled room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Michael S,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Ace London. I was saddened to read that the room that you stayed in was not up to standard.
We have gone through an amazing refurbishment programme and we have strived to ensure that all of our rooms are finished to a high standard. The items that you have pointed out in terms of finish are not what we expect and we have asked our building team to revisit the room that you stayed in and all of the accessible rooms as they have all been recently remodelled.

I totally agree that you should have been asked if it would ok to stay in an accessible room and we will ensure that the front desk team carry this out from now on.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Ace Hotel London in the near future
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've stayed at the Ace Hotel in New York several times. I was thrilled to learn it was coming to London, and my stay didn't disappoint. Rooms seem larger than the NYC outpost. Love the decor and styling, especially all the little British details, like Revo radios and Falcon Enamelware mugs. There was even a copy of Wuthering Heights (my favourite book) in the room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Martin N, Manager at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Hey Remindsmeofyou,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Ace London, it is also great to hear that you are a fan of our sister property in New York.

We always try to bring a little something of the city where the hotel is, it makes us feel that we are part of the city and it is so great that you have picked up on this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shoreditch in the very near future, and I can assure you that our team in New York looks forward to seeing you there soon.

Have a great evening