“Lovely, warm B&B in London.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Barclay House London B&B
Ranked #52 of 563 London B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had a wonderful stay in this beautiful, clean B&B in London's Fulham neighborhood. Close to the tube station and mini-mart/mall and approximately 30 minutes from Heathrow. Stayed in the single en suite room, which was the perfect size for me, with a full size/single bed, shower, toilet, wardrobe closet, and slim desk with flat screen tv and small reading lights attached to the wall, it could not have been more cozy and warm during an unusually cold March. Also, to note from my review, upon arrival at Heathrow, I had a cold and could not stop coughing the first few days in the city. But, with the close proximity of hot tea, warm croissants, bread, and an espresso machine in the shared kitchenette area right outside my door, I was in very good hands for my four nights. The kitchen area was perfect, as one could enjoy tea and coffee in the morning, before outings to the city, then returning at night with food from nearby, or to have water, tea, or wine, while staying inside. Particularly enjoyed the wonderful conversation of the other guests and the lovely hosts of the Barclay House. They were gracious, witty hosts, interested in their guests, with knowledge of London's attractions and distractions, readily available. I also had the good fortune to be invited to enjoy my take out/away dinner one night next to a warm fireplace. I cannot get over the wonderful hospitality of the hosts, Charlotte and Adrian. They allowed plenty of space and privacy for guests, too, as far as when one would go during the day, checking in a few times, but generally staying in their house/room upstairs. For my stay, it was the perfect combination of interest and concern in my well-being or if I had any questions, alternatively, allowing me to find what was needed from the numerous maps and suggestions for London, in the provided books, news articles, and highlighted information. On my last day, Charlotte graciously provided a large bag that could be used for my extra travel items. After this B&B. I stayed for a few days in a hotel near my friends in the city, but I very much missed my room with the extra amenities. It was a wonderful design, completely clean, and stylish for the price point and area. I am hopeful that next time I visit London, will not have to deal with my cold and perhaps, it will be warmer outside. It was a true pleasure to stay here and will never forget it. Thank you.

Room Tip: If alone, the single room is perfectly sized. The shower has a warming towel rack, which was perfect...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Highest praise from a real New Yorker is indeed the best compliment. Such a nice guest, open to new suggestions about London 'corners', as well as our recommendation for a private doctor in the neighbourhood! We look forward to your return when we hope that you can enjoy a drink on our summer roof terrace.

There are newer reviews for Barclay House London B&B

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I learned Barclay House from Lonely Planet and have stayed in their double room with king size bed for 4 days. I highly recommend this B&B to those who look for comfort, sincere hospitality and a silent corner in Cenral London. They offered food and coffee of good quality like Nespresso coffee and bread from M&S. Beddings and bathroom facilities were value for money. The Philippe Starck bathroom fixtures were a surprise. The room was not very spacious but clean and well-maintained. A convenient spot, just below Chelsea and Knightsbridge. Very much enjoy the stay and will return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Another very pleasant business guest who knows what counts when staying in the city of cities, London. We are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Hosts where lovely, this is a really sympathetically designed b&b that is far nicer than many 'showy but soulless hotels in the area' . Everything was spotless, sheets and beds beautiful quality, bathrooms really smart and clean, we actually stayed in their smallest room, but it was actually just perfect as we didn't really need to have bigger, however book in advance if you do, as I'm sure this place gets pretty booked up. Own little kitchen to get your self a bite to eat for breakfast. I actually really like the fact they don't do a full breakfast as there are so many places to eat in Fulham, and everyone has such differing tastes that its the perfect decision , also it means you can get up when you like, and don't feel like your missed out. Location is great, everything easy about this place, and very helpful hosts, lovely piano playing. Utterly recommend to all. Who want to be a a nice safe part of London, a stones throw from all the good stuff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeamScarletts
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Over a glass of wine we learned that this guest is a rising-star chef who runs a very upmarket 'restaurant with rooms' in the Somerset countryside (ask us for the address as we are not allowed to post it here, unfortunately). So, we were thrilled that they were thrilled with everything we offer, including compliments on our homemade muffins for that Sunday's 'breakfast on the go'.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

After years of hotels we decided to try a b and b and a special one for our 4 days stay in London in December! I loved the review in Sawdays and decided to book Barclay House. The choice has been excellent: great location AND customer service. We accepted the smallest room without an ensuite bathroom because the other rooms were fully booked and found exactly what Charlotte promised by email. A small but VERY comfortable room and an impeccable bathroom - really much much better than a lot of London hotel accomodations that I have tried. I found the communal kitchenette very handy both for breakfast and herbal teas during the day (plus the famous chocolate chip cookies). The area is great for dinners (when you come back from a long day trouring the city and want to find a cosy pub, a nice indian or a good hamburger) and being in zone 2 everything is very easy to reach by bus or underground. The house and the rooms are immaculate and very well furnished. Barclay House is a great alternative to urban/design hotels like The Zetter or The Hoxton. The area is very quiet and the mattress was a dream, we slept very well. I'll come back in March 2013 with my mother who is visiting London for the first time.

Room Tip: Of course the two big rooms (the ones featured on the website) are the best choice but if it is full...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FrancescaZMilano
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Fabulous guests; this HR executive knows her stuff, and her boutique hotels in major cities! Glad she (et al) loved it here. It is Christmas Day, so thanks be to God that we are on track again with happy guests who appreciate the value that we offer in the super expensive city of cities, London!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights. Before we arrived we had no idea of its location from the city centre, but it turned out to be at a 'not bad' location. Although it's in zone 2 of underground network, at the station of Fulham broadway, we found it acceptable with our planning of where to go in these 6 days. During our stay we travelled to the west of city, including Kensington, Stonehenge, etc. and the traveling time had been saved.

The room was quite small. But it was clean and the self-help kitchen was well-equipped. The host was friendly and gave us a warm welcome on the cold and rainy day of our arrival. We had a pleasant stay there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

We are bit confused by this review to be honest so will email the guest to better understand changes we could implement regarding 'service', especially for future Hong Kong guests. We've had several HK guests this year and have enjoyed exchanging stories with them about our trip to HK and gathering tips for our next visit.

Regarding not knowing location before arrival, in future we'll specifically direct each potential guest to our website's interactive map.

Major London attractions are spread across 7 miles from west to east and about 3 miles north to south (not including the very far east side where the Olympics stadium is). Like HK, London is a big place with many 'centres'/neighbourhoods; historical buildings, museums, Royal Palaces and other 'tourist' attractions are spread across 'central' London. Londonium developed from Roman times on the River Thames in the east and spread slowly westwards over many centuries. From Portobello Market at Notting Hill, in the west (inner northwest to be more precise), to The Tower of London in the east (east of the so-called "Square Mile" financial district of London, historically known as 'The City of London' ), it is a span of 7 miles across what tourists would term central London or 'city centre'.

In short, there is no 'city centre' per se. London tourists plan their day around visiting two major attractions, e.g. a market, museum, palace or a specific foodie restaurant or famous pub and then working their way around those adjoining neighbourhoods.

We are in the London neighbourhood of Fulham (SW6), south of Notting Hill (W11)/Kensington (SW7) on the western border of Chelsea (SW3) which is on the edge of zones 1 and 2 for the tube.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed for 3 days there, and we really appreciated it. It's modern, comfortable, and closed to the best part of London. The public transportation are very easy to use from there.
The help-your-self kitchen is perfect for a little herbal tea before sleeping.
And the owner told us to go to the Spencer House, which was gorgeous, and only the locals know about it (it's a mansion that you can visit during the week end). We had a private visit just for us since we were the only visitors!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thanks for the compliments. These guests expressed appreciation for the small details that we have built into the two 'luxe-for-less' en suite guest rooms. In fact, there were guests staying in the other room, but perhaps the combination of our new wall and floor eco insulation as well as sound-attenuated glass added to the peaceful atmosphere. Our home-baked cookies were a hit too, if I recall correctly. Lovely to have met you and we'll try to visit the Paris B&B you suggested to us.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I advise to read also the negative reviews on Trip Advisor about this establishment - there is much truth in them still today. It is not for everyone. Despite the initial helpfulness with booking, on arrival it went downhill - from that I had to stand outside in the cold waiting for someone to let me in at late at night the night I arrived, to not fitting in the bed (too tall), noise on the stairs all night (the door of the bedroom is directly on the the staircase) and waiting for people to disappear so I could sprint from the bedroom to the bathroom. I was unhappy with some of the amenities (they were not all available as advertised) and the lack of privacy as I was in the room with no ensuite (not on the website) and the couple that run the B&B are not my preferred type of host - too intrusive, lecturing and don't listen - which is fine for some customers. I only stayed one night and went somewhere else. When I went on to explain my critique and asked for a partial refund for the nights I did not stay, they refused. Fine, but I've also received a torrent of abuse from the husband on email. I suspect he will reply to this posting in the same manner. If you want to stay like a guest in a stranger's house (which is often the case for a B&B), and pay for it, then fine. But it is more like a 3 star with 5 star bedsheets and bathrooms. And make sure you do not critique anything.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank M B
CharlotteMD, Owner at Barclay House London B&B, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

We have never had a situation like this one. I am very sorry that this guest departed so quickly without mentioning to me a word of concern or disappointment.

We are always grateful to guests for their suggestions and act on them immediately, when given the opportunity. Only after the guest's abrupt departure on Saturday afternoon for a ‘sudden, unscheduled business meeting' did we learn of their many concerns and suggestions, for the first time, via their post-departure emails. In emails to them, I have continued to respond to every comment as well as to apologise that ‘the shoe did not fit’, from their perspective, for this planned 3-night stay.

We have apologised especially for returning to our home at 9:47pm for the guest’s arrival on Friday evening instead of the agreed ‘around 9:45pm’ in our emails.

Remaining neutral and respecting the anonymity of the guest in this response, future potential guests may wonder how this situation could have come about…

This guest contacted us about room availability, requesting the use of our grand piano, as well as a specialist tuning on the day of arrival. The two guest rooms that are advertised on our website were booked--they are on the 'raised ground floor' of the house, so up about 7 steps from the road at the level of the front door.

On the phone, we offered another guest sleeping room, only available on an occasional basis, one floor up in the private part of our home-- a further flight of stairs up into the house. This is a double-bedded room--compact, but well appointed--which many pianists and musicians in the recent past have enjoyed, with the convenience of the piano being just one level up from the guest room. Any guests using this 'upstairs double' room also enjoy access to the sitting room where there is space to relax, they may help themselves to a glass of sherry, port or cognac from our private bar, watch TV or browse through our library.

This unadvertised ‘upstairs double’ guest room was then described with photos via email to the potential guest as:
“Attached are photos of the compact double room (bed has a luxurious Tempur mattress) and its own private bathroom next to the room for your exclusive use. The cost is less than the rooms featured on our website because the room is small and the bathroom is next to the room vs 'ensuite'. In any case it is a very comfy place to stay and you are only one flight away from the piano.”

For future guests’ reference –
The ‘double’ mattresses in our guest rooms are the standard UK length of 190cm (6 feet, 2.3 inches long).
The ‘king’ mattress is the UK standard length of 200cm (6 feet, 5.6 inches long).
Both sizes of mattresses are shown, with measurements, on the architectural layouts on our website.

For every written comment of this guest we have implemented changes where humanly possible:
--the room now offers a different, very powerful hair dryer with a blue ‘cool’ button vs a cool 'position' on an all-in-one sliding power lever. We have also repositioned mirrors in the room
--we have made the amenities in this guest bathroom more visually accessible (several of them were behind a mirrored door and thus not found by the guest)
--we will set out new slippers on the bed vs in the closet drawer so that guests can find them immediately
--we have changed the website regarding the David Lloyd Fitness centre stating that we can usually provide access but we cannot guarantee which facilities may be temporarily closed or under renovation
--although we dust the black grand piano every day as dust in London is a major issue, we will offer to dust it immediately before a future guest plans to play it
--we will add legal wording on our website regarding if a guest departs earlier than planned, with the keys to our house and their room still in their possession, we will take by credit card a deposit for the keys until they are returned to us
--we will explain in our first email to any potential or returning guests to whom we offer the 'upstairs double' that things start moving in this ‘upper’ part of the house around 9:30am or so, deliveries may take place (like the delivery that we had taken and signed for this guest the day before), door bells may ring and our housekeeper will usually be around from about 10am if guests would like their room freshened up, sheets changed etc
--we will also explain in our welcome note to each guest (as we did with this guest) that we are here to do anything to make a guest's stay as pleasant as possible in our London Victorian terraced home, with its several flights of stairs. Guests are free to ask us when they cannot find something or if they need something.

Previous guests know that the old adage, 'Ask and ye shall receive...' certainly applies here at 21 Barclay Road. And often its is we who are asking if they'd like a glass of wine after a long day out in London or how we may assist further with their plans.

We have taken all of the emailed suggestions of this guest to heart. We have decided that in most cases it would be best to offer this smaller ‘upstairs double’ room only to our many returning guests, or friends of guests who have already stayed here and know our house. In turn we will rest assured that these guests will appreciate our hospitality.