“Very high quality - yet a bit”

London Marriott Hotel West India Quay
Ranked #210 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The service was exellent, the rooms very clean, and the breakfast perfect.
Still I did not feel the overall experience was more than four stars on a good day. The hotel is very stereotype. It could have been everywhere, since the rooms look like rooms do in hotels all over the world. They did not have anything that three stars hotels do not have. Not even a internet connection do you get - something that many other hotels have. Here you have to pay.
Still we enjoyed our stay, and I recommend if for certain types of visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,208)

Reviewed August 31, 2009

Stayed for 3 nights the hotel was superb and the staff excellent. Be aware of the 12.5% service charge at the bar! I refused to pay it as it is discretionary and the barman became quite huffy I explained I did not mind tipping but I was not going to pay 44p for him to pass hte Stella across the bar!!

West India Quay area is great and the breakfasts at All Bar One and Wetherspoons are excellent value for money.

Be aware if you are arriving by DLR from Bank the DLR does not stop at West India Quay and you have to get off at Canary wharf and either walk or take a DLR from the opposite platform back towards Bank to get off at West India Quay.

I would stay at this hotel anytime it was great and really quiet.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights at end of August. The hotel is situated in Canary Wharf- 5mins from easily accessible tube- 10 mins to Centre of London.

** Booked through the hotel direct as found best price and Reward Points **

** THE HOTEL IS THE LARGE GLASS BUILDING AS DESCRIBED **

We stayed on the 4th floor- overlooking the river with a lovely view - and a skyline at night.
Very comfortable, large room- superb kingsize bed- television- and facilities.
Large, clean bathroom- minibar with kettle and large closet with plenty of space.
Good air conditioning, as you cannot open windows.

Breakfast gets VERY busy- would recommend Room Only and going out and about- Camden is not far away! and good choice of coffeeshops and bars all around

Highly recommended for location- superb range of bars and restaurants very close by- shopping 5 mins away- Browns and La Tasca across the way.
Although busy after 5.30- with bars becoming full- a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere can be found all around. Cinema round the corner- parking across the road and easy Tube or DLR in 10 mins.
River boats are 5 mins away for a unique way to visit the centre of London and explore the riverside.

Staff were helpful and courteous. Hotel is very well appointed, smart and stylish. Very clean, attractive and comfortable. Good security- and again- a great view.

Good map with all local facilities and entertainment provided. Canary Wharf is well worth a look around for nice drinks and eating. Excellent location to stay and watch a show.. GO SEE PRISCILLA-QUEEN OF THE DESET- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank amityisland
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Stayed at this hotel recently with my wife. Nice large room and although a bit dated, it was clean and had all the standard features. My only gripe is the hotel does not include free WIFI like most other hotels in Europe. I think they were charging 3 pound per 15 minutes etc. Location wise, the hotel is a bit out of town but as previously mentioned the DLR is literally next door and using the rail system was a breeze and it took 20 mins to get into the city proper. All in all I would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during my August Europe trip. The hotel rooms are superb for London starndards. Great beds and nice clean bathrooms. Check in was a breeze and the concierge even helped us find some late night delivery on our last night. Location is OK, it is not central London more the business district; however, the DLR train makes it real easy to get to and from the center. I also recommend the water taxi, it is a great way to see London.

There is some room for improvement this Marriott could work on. We had a drink in the bar during our 1st night and noticed a service charge on our bill. This is not typical in the UK and I don't see why it should be typical at the Marriott. In addition, during our last night we were woken by maintenance knocking on our door at around 830am. They wanted to know if we were vacating today, because they needed to check the electrical in the room. This kind of p*ssed me off since we had a late night, the night before and the DO NOT DISTURB sign was on the door. Checking out was not as easy as check in. There was only 2 receptionist working at the desk and a huge disorganized queue formed at the front desk causing a bit of a nightmare. After 30 minutes of standing around, I was finally able to check out.

Other than the above flaws, the hotel was very nice! I would recommend this hotel and would consider staying there again in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

I stayed for two nights at The Marriott West India Quay, with my boyfriend for my birthday. The stay was great. The hotel is located right next to the Docklands Light Railway and you can easily get into London from here. It took about 10mins to get from West India Quay to Bank. And about 20mins to get from West India Quay to Oxford Circus.

The service throughout the hotel was fantastic. They were extremely welcoming and also made sure I had a great room because I was celebrating my birthday. A previous reviewer mentioned that the tall building in the photographs is not The Marriott. They are actually incorrect. The tall building in the photo's is The Marriott as my room was situated in this building overlooking the dock. They also have a smaller building attached to the back of this building which holds the reception, business centre, conference rooms, lounge etc and also some floors of rooms above. They also have bedrooms within the tall building but some of those floors further up house the serviced apartments.

My room was lovely, large and clean with a huge bed. My boyfriends quite a big guy and there was plenty of room for us both with space inbetween. The tv channels were pretty basic but there are paid for services available. But it's not like we were there to watch tv. Both the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean, modern and comfortable.

Every person we dealt with within the hotel was polite, helpful and friendly. They were professional in every manner. You felt like they would bend over backwards to help you. Nothing was too much trouble.

We had breakfast included with our stay and the spread put on was fantastic. Everything you could possibly want. There was cooked breakfast; sausages, bacon, beans, scrambled egg, tomatoes, hash browns, mushrooms. This was a buffet type affair where you helped yourself. All food was well covered and displayed. Range of juices, tea and coffee. Toast, muffins, pastries, coissants, jams. Cheese, smoked salmon, fruit. Several different boxes of breakfast cereal. There was even a guy ready to make you an omelette with filling of your choice or fry you some eggs.

Myself and my boyfriend personally loved the West India Quay location. We found it a very european looking area with wide streets, lots of small park areas and lots of greenery, flowers and trees. It was nice to be next to the water. Right next to the hotel is a row of restaurants including Browns and La Tasca. Even on a Sat night the area was relaxed and not too busy. There were people milling around, and it was nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of the city centre to wind down and relax on an evening.

We'd been given a map of the area at the hotel when checking in and we were told about a big shopping centre that is there which, we didn't get chance to see. Right next to the hotel is a cinema as well so I think there is plenty of things to keep you amused.

One of the things which impressed me and I really loved about the whole West India Quay and Canary Wharf area was just how spotless it was. It was so clean!

I think if you're wanting the fast paced, hectic London then this area might be a bit quiet for you. We liked the combination of being able to get into London to see some of the galleries and go for a few drinks in Soho, and the quiet relaxed area of West India Quay without being too far out of the city centre.

2  Thank SparklyBecca
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This is a modern hotel in the Canary Wharf area which is on the east side of London.

The hotel is right next to the Docklands Light Railway station at West India Quay and about five minutes walk to Canary Wharf tube station, which is on the Jubilee line. It takes about 30 minutes to get to central London.

There are many shops, restaurants and bars in the locality. There is a line of 6 bars/restaurants right next to the hotel.

Rooms are spacious, well equiped, modern and clean. Bathrooms also well appointed.

The Hotel restaurant does a good if not spectacular breakfast. For lunch and dinner, there is a seafood theme, although not exclusively - the steaks are good. Food is of very good quality and the service is friendly.

There is a gym on site and a cinema just accross the road.

It is a good place to stay, in a cool and modern part of London that is not far from the centre of the city.