“Ok, but not a 5*”

GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Ok, but not a 5*”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed at the Marriott recently as I was attending a concert at the O2 - for this it is in an excellent position, one stop on the tube.

However, having stayed previously at 5* hotels, I feel this is more 4*. Yes, it is clean and has all the necessary facilities, but I do expect that extra mile from 5*. For example, there were no robes or slippers, only one tea bag per person in the room etc. We did have a nice view of the river and Canary Wharf, and it is handy for the DLR etc., but nothing special, just a standard Marriott. I am unsure why it has a 5* rating.

I also agree with previous reviews, that it is surprisingly difficult to find the entrance, particularly in the rain! There is a side entrance by the river, but you cannot access that until you have your key card, so initial access is difficult!

All in all, a clean hotel, exactly as you would expect from the brand but 5*? No.

• Liked — Nice view of the river and Canary Wharf
  • Disliked — Trying to find the entrance in the pouring rain
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
skibum1723
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed here over the weekend. Here's the good, the okay and the ugly:

The good: Canary Wharf is pretty great, very modern upscale business district with high-end shops, a cinema and fine restaurants. It's in the docklands, which has now benefited from this major redvelopment project. The Marriott borders "the good" section and the remnants of the "bad" old neighborhood. Easy tube access to the tourist sites. The "tower" section of the hotel is quite nice, both exterior and interior.

Room service was good.

The okay: The fitness center is decent, modern equipment but a little small (leading to lines at peak times). The guestroom was your typical 4* Marriott room. Which is pretty good, but left me curious as to the 5* hotel rating. I mean, 5* hotels need something special, right? I've been at many Marriotts in the past 3 years, and several of the 4* ones (Mallorca comes to mind) were much nicer, Still, it was fine. Oh, did I mention this was the SECOND room I was placed in? Which leads me to...

The ugly: I won this hotel on Priceline. I had a pretty good idea when I bid this would be the choice (there are Web sites you can research possible Priceline wins). I'm also pretty used to getting "Pricelined" into a substandard room. Well, the Marriott West India Quay definitely has a PL bias and tried to do just that. My first room was located on the only non-secured floor, right next to the conference rooms on the Mezzanine (which happened to be hosting a KIDDIE CONFERENCE). Oh. My. Gosh. So I asked to be moved to a secure floor (as a single female traveler), and was told the only option was a "twin" room. The hotel also offers kings and double queens, but they couldn't (later found out wouldn't) give me one of those. It was the twin or the mezzanine. And only in the old building. The tower was "sold out." (not true as I was to find out). I threw a fit. My room "underlooked" the freeway overpass, was dark, and had pretty worn furniture and mold in the bathroom. Definitely not 5*. The two reception people I was working with both repeatedly reminded me with Priceline I was only guaranteed a room...I couldn't pick and choose. I said that I bid for 5*, not 4*, and it was not their choice to downgrade me. After calling PL at 99 cents-per-minute international rates and complaining, the hotel finally "found" me a king room in the tower, and made a big deal about being forced to give me an upgrade. I got to the room, expecting something special after all the whining and...it was almost identical to the mezzanine room! The differences: it was cleaner (furniture not scratched up, no mold in the bathroom), overlooked the freeway overpass instead of looking up at it, and had an apple on the table. Everything else, from the bathroom decor to the size to the furniture type, was identical. I have no clue why they fought me so hard, but it was hardly an upgrade. It was a normal room, that I should have been given in the beginning.

The other ugly: The tower also has GBP1million condos affiliated with Marriott. So apartment owners enter from the "nice" side of the building (Canary Wharf), and the little peon hotel guests enter from the not-so-nice side of the building (docklands). Try to enter from the apartment side and a nasty little man will put you in your place. Lastly, there's NO SIGN on the hotel if you are coming from Canary Wharf, so while you'll see the building you can walk around it for an hour and not know you've arrived. No doubt this is so the apartment owners feel like they live in condos. A sign would be so...gauche.

Last ugly: The Marriott Web site doesn't have accurate public transit info. Take the Jubilee line to Canary Wharf, and walk to the right. You can hop on the DLR (docklands light railway) and get off right at the hotel (West India Quay stop), or walk the extra 150 meters yourself (and cross the West India Quay walking bridge). It's easy. But since there's no sign, look for the Marriott flag. It's on a pole at the base of the tower (you know, the tower for special people, not for Priceliners).

• Liked — location, comfortable once settled in a decent room.
  • Disliked — attitude, not living up to expectations
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SarahMac25
Upstate New York
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott - Canary Wharf in late June 2008. The staff was excellent; we were able to get into our room at 10AM - a nice treat after a trans Atlantic flight.

We upgraded to have access to their 'Executive Lounge'. It was a very nice treat. The lounge has a beautiful design and excellent view. The food selection is better than any Marriott I've been in. It was probably worth the money (35 pounds per night).

Travel from Heathrow by tube was OK, but required three train lines (Picadilly, Jubilee, and DLR). Not that many stairs with luggage but a lot of baggage handling. Taxi to the hotel would have been very expensive for a frugal visitor. The hotel itself is adjacent to the India Quay stop on the Docklands Light Railway.

I'd recommend the hotel; it's a little inconvenient to the West End and was a long way from Wimbledon, our primary interest, but a much better value than the central London Marriotts (when we were there).

• Liked — Great room; the 'Executive Lounge'
  • Disliked — A little removed from central London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at the Marriot West India Quay at the weekend and found the hotel and the stafff to be very good, We went to see the Never Forget show at the Savoy and took the under ground from Canary Wharf and it was very easy to get to. The hotel only lacks a swimmimng/sauna otherwise it was superb.The breakfast is to die for.The rooms are very clean and the bed was big and comfy, it could have done wih a LCD tv instead of the big CRT in the cabinet which took up a lot of space in the room.It was a super weekend and the Hotel is well worth the money.

• Liked — The staff and the comfy bed.
  • Disliked — No swimming pool.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Satish7
Forfar, Scotland
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Just celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary in London and stayed at the Marriott West India Quay next to Canary Wharf. Took my wife to see "Never Forget" which was excellent, music was good and the storyline had lots of laughs. Our room at the hotel was 814 which was a corner room with two walls of floor to ceiling windows which made for an excellent view. We looked out over towards the O2 Arena (the old Millenium Dome) and also over onto Canary Wharf via the skyscrapers of Citibank, Bank of America and so forth. The water was edged by pubs and restaurants along both sides which were lovely and good value for money. If you want to go and do some shopping, remember there is a huge shopping mall underneath Canary Wharf which has an excellent variety of shops and has a huge Waitrose which sells everything, it even has a small wine bar where you can have a drink !! All in all though the Marriott was 1st Class, the breakfasts were good, and we had one other meal there which was supper around 11 o'clock which was really good and very good value for money.
To get intio town from the Marriot it is Docklands Light Railway from West India Quay, (right next to the hotel) where you go 5 stops to Bank, and from there you are back on the London Underground system and from there you can travel throughout London. A day off-peak ticket worked out at £ 5.30 per person.
Well done Marriott, your staff were excellent, and we'll see you again.

• Liked — The room was huge and beautiful, with great views
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank TheWeeMacs
Jersey CI
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Just got back after a fantastic stay at the Marriot's West India and have to say it was a great experience. We used a combination of rewards points and cash to upgrade to an executive suite, and it was well worth it. Suite was so quiet & lovely and spacious, bathroom goodies were Molton Brown also included was lounge access with complimentary canapes and wine/beer at certain times of the day.
Views were great, and we really enjoyed a trip to the Docklands museum which was a 5 minute walk. Central London was easily accessible in about 20 minutes by tube. Would I return? You bet! one of the nicest Marriott's we have have had the pleasure to stay in.

• Liked — Views from the suite
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank amandahig
Sunderland
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This was our second (and last) visit to Marriott West India Quay.
The rooms are up to the usual Marriott standard but the BIG downside is the restaurant. The 'Curve' restaurant looked ok so my partner and I both ordered a Ribeye steak & pepper sauce (£20 a head) when it arrived there was the piece of steak and a few chips which covered just over half of the plate,nothing else, no garnish and no attempt to present the meal professionally. The Steak was cooked ok but the chips had clearly been frozen & reheated.
When I complained the staff admitted they did use frozen chips !!!
Now its not that I mind frozen chips but when one is charged £20 a head for Steak & Chips I think it is reasonable to expect the chef to at least peel a couple of potatoes and make some sort of effort.
The following night we went to the Henry Addington pub (just over the footbridge from the hotel) where we enjoyed a splendid meal of home made Oxfordshire Sausages in Toad in the hole with FRESH green veg, FRESH Mash and Onion gravy for £6.95p and it was beautiful.
We use Marriott hotels wherever we travel in the UK and breakfast is normally something to look forward to in every other Marriott we have stayed in. This place lets the whole chain down.
If there were a competition to provide the most unappetising looking breakfast the kitchen staff here would win it hands down.

Far too much Bacon is cooked in one go and the result is that as it is kept covered up the steam heating ensures the bacon looks as if has been boiled instead of grilled.
The scrambled egg looked as if a barrowload had been cooked at the start of service and left to degenerate, dry up and discolour throughout the morning.
The Baked Beans were deviod of tomato sauce and were almost dried up and the whole experience was an example of lazy staff avoiding the need to refresh & replenish smaller quantities regularly. Even the most inexperienced manager or supervisor would have rectified this, however it was apparent that no quality checks were carried out.
I showed this sorry display to the Sales Manager who limply said 'I'll have a word with the chef !!!'
All I can say is that Gordon Ramsey would crack up if he visited this kitchen

• Liked — The usual Marriott rooms
  • Disliked — Avoid the restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business