“Blown away, more than we ever expected!”

Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel
Ranked #210 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed here with a friend in April to see the Dancing on Ice tour at the O2. Before booking, I did consult this website and we decided to go ahead. One of the main reasons was the relatively low cost, but the biggest was that my friend is a wheelchair user, and this was the only hotel in the locality where we could specifically book an accessible room.

It took the taxi driver a while to find the hotel from Euston station, and that is a downside, it's very far out, and we spent a lot of our money on taxis as we don't know how accessible the Tube and DLR are, so didn't want to risk it.

When we did arrive, we were very impressed by the sleek, modern look of the hotel and when we walked in we were even more impressed! As soon as we entered, the reception staff said hello, smiled at us and made us feel very welcome. Check-in was very quick and even though we had arrived before the stated time, we were told our room was ready and were handed our keys.

The room was, to put it bluntly, incredible! I'd only stayed in the Alton Towers hotel and I will be honest, I found the room here just as nice, if not a little nicer! It was well appointed, all in the company colour scheme, and there was ample space for my friend to get around in her wheelchair, which was great.

Then I saw the bathroom and again was blown away. Normally bathroom grab rails etc are very dingy grey or white affairs, and make the bathroom look like it belongs in a hospital, not a hotel, but this was all done in wood, and matched the room perfectly.

We did enjoy lunch in the hotel restaurant, and were very pleased with the choices available and the prices, only slightly more than you'd pay in a chain pub. Again, staff very helpful and the food was lovely. The whole area was clean and hygenic, and I really cannot fault it!

We headed off to the O2, and the staff were great, getting us an accessible taxi from the hotel entrance.

We got back quite late and turned in for the night, the only thing I found hard to get used to was the VERY soft pillows, but I really can't say it took the shine off the place.

The next day, after we'd packed most of our things, we headed down for breakfast and again were thrilled by the service. Staff seated us, and also assisted me back to our table when I was about to carry two hot plates of food across from the buffet, which was very welcomed and not something I had expected them to do!

Breakfast was varied and plentiful, so we were ready for a day of sightseeing in London afterwards. Checkout was fast and friendly, and the staff again got us a taxi from the hotel to our destination.

I would definitely stay in a Premier Inn again, and this experience has shown that they are not lying or exaggerating in their advertising, everything was brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
MartinH1, General Manager at Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Hi Vicki,

A huge thank you for writing such a glowing review, I'm pleased you had a great stay and that my team looked after you and your friend so well. Customer service is our number one priority, and it is great to know when we have got it right. We hope to see you again next time you visit the O2 arena.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

from arriving at the hotel the staff were friendly and as helpful as possible. having arrived early, as soon as rooms were ready the reception staff got us checked in. the rooms were spotless and the facilities better than expected, especially the air conditioning which was much welcomed and very quiet. i asked for help to close the window and expected to wait some time, within minutes that was taken care of.
the location for the Excel being less than a five minute walk is great and for places such as the o2 was just a short distance on DLR.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Hi syl188,

It was great to read your kind comments, especially about the service you received from my team. Thanks for taking the time to post a review, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a weekend for the MCM EXPO, which was held at the EXCEL Arena and this was a perfect hotel to book for it, as it's only a 5 minute DLR ride away.

The prices were affordable (I think we snatched a room up when they had a price cut) and we were amazed at the service provided. The room was airy and spacious, beds were cosy and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and had lovely soft, large towels. Expect a selection of free toiletries. You have a big screen tv and the lighting in the room makes you feel very relaxed.
There was even an instance where I went down to breakfast and asked for a glass of milk to take back to my room for tea, the staff were more than happy to give me a pint glass of milk for free!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Hi ShiverZ66,

Thanks for your great comments about the Hotel, I'm pleased you enjoyed yourself. Since your visit, the Excel exhibition centre has opened its new extension, so next time you visit you will not need to use the DLR - we are now just 5 minutes walk from the new entrance.

Thanks again for taking the time to write,

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Reasonable price, polite and helpful staff, nice breakfast buffet and nearby public house. Few minutes walk from DLR station and bus stop. Walk from station/bus stop across small section of unkempt scrubland though once at hotel things pick up.

Only problem we had was DLR not running, so had to take replacement bus service, which didn't arrive for ages. We were going to see a concert at O2 and to be sure of getting there we decided to book a taxi (cost £18 for three, via Blackwall Tunnel), which the hotel kindly arranged. Was advised by taxi driver that tunnel closes at 01:00, which would mean longer route back approx £25.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Paulpot

Hi Paulpot,

Thanks for your comments, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with Premier Inn. I have been promised by the Excel conference centre that the scrubland that you pass through on route to the hotel will be landscaped in the near future. I appreciate that it does not give a good first impression of the local area.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a clean and basic hotel. The rooms and restaurant is modern and has a fair/good standard when you think about the price (paid 75 pounds/night). The beds are good and so are the ventilation, which was easy to regulate. The personal in the reception seem not to realize that they are there to help you. Made quite dumb responses when one asked for help. However, the personal in the restaurant were very friendly. Takes 45 minutes to get to the city center with the tube.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank OzSweDe

Hi OzSweDe,

Thanks for your review, I was sorry to read that you were not happy by the service you received from my receptoin team. Customer service training is a high priority for us at Premier Inn, and your feedback helps us to constantly improvfe on our standards.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

Basic & clean hotel... No fuss. Beds are ok, sheets are quite hard. Room fine. The problem with this hotel is the walls are made of paper & you can hear everything!! There is also a rail line right next to the hotel, which you can hear, lots when the windows are open!! Would I stay again? Um, yes if I needed to be in the area. Breakfast is very good value. PS you have to pay for parking, which is really bad!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Hi PB1,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and breakfast. I wish we could offer free parking, unfortunatley all the car parks in the area are owned and operated by the Excel Exhibition Centre. To clarify, car parking is charged at £12 from 9.30 am until 5.30 and is free at all other times.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here for one night over the Easter holiday as we were visiting the O2 arena which is close by. We got one of their good deals which we had booked about 3 months in advance, but was cheap by London standards at £39.

It was a pain to get to from Marylebone, only because the tubes weren't working from Canning Town to the hotel, but there were buses instead at no extra cost. I did note that there was ample parking at the hotel.

On arrival check in was pretty quick, main foyer has a restaurant and bar with pool table and a few vending machines.

Our room was clean and basic, in the usual premier travel inn purple colours. There wasn't anything wrong with the room, but it doesn't warrant being more than average because it is precisly that, average. We just wanted something near the O2 not too pricey that we could get some sleep for the night. We actually slept pretty well. It is near a main road, but that didn't appear to be busy either.

There isn't much near the hotel and the views aren't great, but looks like theres a pub next door. Its close to the Excel building, docklands etc, so if you are needing a hotel for somewhere to stay then its quite close and a good cost. Would use again if I was going to see something at the O2 again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
MartinH1, Manager at Premier Inn London Docklands (Excel) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Hi Bionic Grass Hopper,

Thanks for your comments, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and glad you would return. Our £39 offer is still available for online bookings 21 days in advance on certain dates.