“Good hotel for the price”

Hotel ibis budget London City Airport
Ranked #700 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was looking for a hotel before a business trip where i needed to fly early and after looking at options the Ibis was cheap for the very limited stay. I couldn't complain as the person on the front desk allowed me to move to the back of the hotel where there was less traffic and was friendly. The rome themselves are very basic for a one night stay it's fine but anymore and i think you would go a bit crazy. The windows don't open fully and all feels a bit claustrophobic. But for the price and distance to city airport (i walked in 10-15minutes) it's absolutely fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Budget London City Airport. We appreciate your kind words. In the meantime, we have noted your comments about the safety lock of the room's window. I do apology for that, but please note that the lock is used purposely to comply with health and safety.
See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Semi Final and Final of the 2013/14 FA Cup involving Hull City AFC. The location just off the Pontoon Bridge station of the DLR is fantastic, although there are no bars anywhere near the hotel. The 24hr garage just around the corner was great for a late night coffee and snacks before heading to bed.
The three person rooms are fantastic value but make sure you are good friends as the shower does open directly into the room. I booked a separate double room for myself when we returned for the Final. Good value but rather basic. Free parking is available for guests.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Clean, spartan, basic hotel
Basic cereal & bread breakfast
Certainly only to be chosen for convenient-to-airport location
No amenities
Nothing wrong with the place but nothing to write home about, either

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohforfs

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness, and we have noted your feedback which will certainly inspire us to improve our service.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Good value cheap (for London) hotel, with relatively easy access to LCY. There is not much around in the way of restaurants without driving. A pub is about 10 minutes walk away. The hotel does have snack foods and beer and wine etc, as does the petrol station on the corner next door.
The room itself is "cosy", the separate toilet does not seem to have an exhaust fan! And the shower stall is just big enough. No plug for the sink, so shaved in the shower :(
At one stage the smoke alarm went off for a few seconds, rousing me from a light sleep! A bit later as I was dressing somebody (housemaid? guest?) opened the door, but then rapidly closed it.
Anyway, the bed is firm and only 2 pillows, but that was ok. The lounge downstairs was a mess in the morning after people having breakfast and nobody cleaning up. Free wifi throughout is a nice change from Aussie!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Budget London City Airport. We appreciate your kind words. In the meantime, we have noted your comments about the issues encountered during your stay, which will be dealt accordingly. Please accept my sincerest apologies.
See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I dropped two friends doff at this hotel one evening as they were catching an early flight from London City Airport the following morning. It took 20 minutes to check in as the computer was playing up. The receptionist obviously had no idea how to cope in such a situation.

She eventually allocated a room and I helped my friends carry up their bags. What a shock awaited us as we opened the door - it was already occupied! Thankfully the occupant wasn't in her room as we would have given her a heart attack! We quickly backed out of the room and closed the door firmly.

My friends went downstairs to remonstrate with the receptionist whilst I stayed with their luggage. They eventually returned having been given no apology but allocated a different room on the same floor. The same result - yet again this second room was occupied! What on earth was going on?

My friends were in shock so I went down this time. The receptionist didn't seem fazed by this total lack of security. She simply said 'oh that's okay, because if you get in you can't get out again!' Couldn't work out what that meant as there we were having gone into two occupied rooms and come out again pretty quickly! I'm afraid I lost my temper and shouted at her, demanding to see the manager. Needless to say he wasn't on site, in fact I suspect she was the only member of staff that night.

After much fiddling and physically checking paperwork, she gave my friends yet another room. This time she actually checked the room herself to make sure it was empty, worrying that she had so little faith in her ability to believe the hotel system.

I can't say much about the room other than it appeared to be the standard budget Ibis room, I every small, with no extras but clean. To be fair to the receptionist she did book a taxi for my friends for the next morning and it did turn up as requested, so she got one thing right.

The hotel is close to London City Airport. Eat before you arrive as there is absolutely nothing in the area other than a petrol station (the hotel is tucked behind this, you actually access it by driving through the spectral station!).

My biggest concern is the complete lack of security particularly as one of the rooms we entered was obviously occupied by a lady. We are honest people, but be aware other guests may well not be. My advice is either don't touch this hotel with a barge pole, or if it is your only option then don't leave anything you value in it when you go out.

Room Tip: Make sure you lock your door as you enter your room as others can access it.