“Hotel from Hell”

Hotel ibis budget London City Airport
Ranked #688 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My brother & I had the displeasure of staying at this establishment for one night last week. We had previously stayed a few nights at an Ibis Budget at Birmingham City Airport which although very basic, was perfectly fine. So we thought we would enjoy the same sort of experience at this place.... WRONG!

Things weren't looking great when we first arrived, having walked past the place initially as it looked like a prison with its high fencing around the whole building. We eventually managed to break our way in & reached the reception area. Check-in was absolutely fine, however the entire outside & inside area of the building was full with around 30-40 students making as much noise as they possibly could (this was at near enough 12pm) without being asked to quieten down for the consideration of the other guests.

We eventually made our way to our room, which as it turned out was a family room, which wasn't entirely ideal. Regardless, we decided to hunker down for the night with myself taking the bunk bed, but upon climbing up, I found that nobody had even bothered to make the bed, leaving the bottom sheet, a pillow, & a mattress just sitting there waiting for whichever poor soul happened to sleep in that room. Upon attempting to then make the bed myself, I found that the bottom sheet that was left on the bed was completely dust ridden & covered in black stuff. I gave up on making the bed & decided to request a room change instead.

Upon reaching reception a 2nd time, I spoke to the chap at the desk & asked for a room change, but was told that it would not be possible because "the price I had already paid was too cheap". I was then asked how much I would be willing to pay to change rooms, to which I begrudgingly offered another £10, which he eventually accepted stating "I would normally ask for £20". Anyway, we were eventually moved to a twin room on the top floor which appeared to be a disabled room as it had lots more space, & had a big wet room rather than separate shower/toilet.

We finally settled down in this new room on the delightful twin beds which were so hard they might as well have been mortuary slabs, where moving one inch either side would cause you to fall to the floor. The noise was still going on outside at this point, but we were so tired we just didn't care. Around thirty minutes later though, a group of people went into the room next door, turned their TV up as loud as possible & made an absolute racket. After 10 minutes of this my brother complained to the chap at reception who came up, & after much protesting, asked them to quieten down. Despite this, the noise continued for another 30 minutes before finally stopping.

That night's sleep was then the absolute worst night I have ever, ever had. With noise continuing throughout the hotel, & light being poured into our room from the hallway due to a badly aligned doorframe.

In the morning, we wanted to escape this nightmare as soon as possible, but decided to have a shower first. Well let me tell you, "wet room" was definitely the right description, because the farcical door frame design continued when the water from the shower poured out under the door, into the main bedroom, & almost out the front door into the hallway.

I have honestly never visited such an awful hotel. I imagine a night sleeping on a park bench would have been preferable to this, & I would have saved myself £48 in the process.

TLDR; This place sucks.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EmJayTe
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit at Ibis Budget Hotel London City Airport. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your recent visit with us.
Please rest assured that we take all comments with the utmost seriousness.
With regards to the room,in our standard package, we don't make the bunk bed, unless the guest's request.
Also, I would like to let you know clearly that we must not charge the guests when we move them from a room to another one for any reason. I am very sorry to hear that a staff member did so.
With regards to night disturbance and anti social behaviour, our process allow us to call the police if we cannot deal with the situation. I would like to apologize sincerely for the incident.
Please e mail me on h3578-dm@accor.com or please contact me on 0207 474 9131 to allow me to investigate the matter further and to refund the extra charge made by the receptionist.
Once again, my sincerest apologizes.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel was described as walking distance to London City airport - which it was, so no bus or taxi required. We also walked there from the DLR station after having been emailed the details we needed to help us travel to the hotel.
The room & bathroom facilities were perfectly functional, clean & the bed was comfy.
We didn't need the surrounding area to be beautiful as we only needed a bed for the night but don't expect much on that score.
We'd use this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maldemer_13
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The rooms were clean and cleaning everyday.
People in the reception were really nice and always helpful (especially a young lady in the reception kept always a nice smile)
Selling sandwiches, drinks was even after midnight (!) – it was appreciated
The hotel is not far from Excel and for people attending for conferences is quite good localization.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NarinderSingh, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

All you need for a stay to catch the early flight from City Airport. When we went it took longer than the 7/8 minutes walk to/from the DLR station which is a few metres from the terminal. Not the hotel's fault, but nearly all the best route was blocked off and may be for a while.
Friendly efficient service.
One niggle, the lowslung beds!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please use DLR and get down at Pontoon Dock station which is just 1 stop from London City Airport and is teh closet station to the Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was really disappointed with the room. I understand it is a budget hotel, but I felt this was disqusting. I was so diappointed in my room, that I immediately booked another room at Premier Inn. The difference in the price was £20, but it was worth paying the extra, as well as losing £52 I had already paid for the room plus breakfast.

The reasons why I was disapointed are
1. The bed was so hard.
2. the toilet was in a cupboard.
3. The shower was right in the room.
4. Was not at all comfortable, The room was not inviting, very bland and unwelcoming.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary306Basildon
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

I am so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience staying with us at Ibis Budget London City Airport. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. Feel free to contact me on 0207 474 9106 or email me on h3578-dm@accor.com to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very convenient next to the airport.

Ironically, the staff were at an official company party to celebrate their success and the hotel was being run by replacements from all over the network.

Bit chaotic but the temporary staff could not have been more friendly & helpful, especially in the restaurant.

Room was clean tidy and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and take your own tolietries
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
NarinderSingh, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Many thanks for taking time to post a review.
We appreciate and treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness.
However we have no restaurant in the hotel and we have never held a company party in our hotel.
Could you please email me with more details on h3578-gm@accor.com to discuss the matter further: booking number, date of stay

Sincerely

Narinder Singh

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Room nice and clean, great location for city airport and the lad at check in was polite however, the toilet door didn't shut properly and the bed was so hard it would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor. Having to use a coat for a second pillow didn't help either ! Def didn't feel it was worth £55 wouldn't use again.

• Stayed: April 2013
NarinderSingh, Manager at Hotel ibis budget London City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations.
I would like to discuss the matter with you.
Please could you contact me on 0207 474 9106 or email me on h3578-dm@accor.com.