“Eltham Palace”

Ranked #140 of 1,765 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Beautiful Art Deco building and furniture. The entrance hall was amazing, and we recognized it from a previous episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot. The gardens were beautiful too. A really excellent day out.

1  Thank Susan C
"central london"
in 8 reviews
"own pace"

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visited in 2011, rather pleasant Eltham area. If you like Art Deco or design in general, or you are into life of high class from 20-30 thats the place for you. There's also splendid medival Great Hall comparable with one in Hampton Court. Audioguides available and interesting. What i probably liked most were gardens, partly placed in old moat. Very peaceful place, ideal for rest after intensive London sighseeying

1  Thank Lukasz_Li
Reviewed November 2, 2013

very rarely can you walk from beautifully preserved art deco living to a medieval great hall and 1940s military accommodation but such is the history of Eltham that they sit side by side. excellent recorded tour which gives a lifelike feeling of what the place would have sounded like back in the day.
The gardens are also a feature although on my visit in October they were past the summer glory. The moat is full of inquisitive carp. Good café/restaurant. A good place to spend 3 hours.

2  Thank MartinatDesk
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I'm not a fan of art deco, not everyone is and that is probably why not a lot has survived. However this is a very good example and impressive. I was more interested in it's Plantagenate and Tudor history and I wish that it had been restored in that style. At least the alterations to the great hall enhanced the original. It was easy to find and I would allow at least an afternoon or morning. Adequate parking and close to a train station. The grounds are pleasing to walk around and the house hosts numerous events during the summer months. A worthwhile visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have lived in the area for over ten years - and this is my first visit. It won't be my last.
The entry price which includes access to the grounds is very reasonable.
We visited on a day of variable weather but the rain abated when we were roaming the grounds.
I would say that the reviews are pretty accurate except that we were impressed with the Cafe (unlike Jackie H). The decor, I would think is meant to blend in with the period and basing it on the Kitchens of that time - would have been tiled. The service was spot on, quick and efficient - and loved the waitresses period outfits reminscent of Lyons Cafes. The quality of food was good and reasonably priced - and we are a discerning pair. We opted for the Afternoon Tea deal which was available at lunch time and included a fresh and apetising sandwich, tea and two scones with jam and clotted cream for £6.75..................I have paid alot more locally for alot less.

We were smart in that we got into the Cafe just before 12 - as by 12.30 there were queues for the tables - I think during the summer there is seating outside (but not sure on this). No-one hurried us for our table.

The grounds are beautiful. Provides a romantic walk and I am looking forward to visiting in other seasons. Always check the website for opening times -as it is closing for maintenance in early November.

I wouldnt recommend the House for families with very young children - as it is not a place children can run around wildly. The grounds are suitable but - the moat is not fenced off - so children could fall/slip into the water.

Look out for Robert the very helpful Volunteer who is passionate about the place and is also keeper of any of your items you do not want to lugg around with you (that was helpful)>

Greenwich Borough - you need to promote the Palace more.(although part of me wants to keep it a secret gem)

3  Thank Maxy9