“Lovely boutique hotel”

Ranked #101 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ithaca, New York
“Lovely boutique hotel”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I just returned from a four night business trip to London, stayed in the Zetter hotel, and loved it. I dislike soulless corporate hotels, but sometimes words like "charming," "quirky," or "funky" are code for unprofessional or problematic. And too many hotels described as stylish aren't necessarily pleasant places to spend much time in (I'm thinking of places like the Hudson Hotel in NYC with its minimalist and thoroughly uncomfortable design).

But the charm of the Zetter is that it was designed and executed with care, with the aim of being distinctive but also functional. Staff are incredibly friendly, the rooms are small but thoughtfully designed, and things work well. I had the fire alarm problem mentioned by a previous reviewer - I hope they get that worked out - but otherwise nothing was out of order. By the way, the rooms are small but, interestingly, the bathroom was not, which was a pleasant surprise. (As a frequent visitor to NYC I'm accustomed to ridiculously small bathrooms.) The espresso machine on each floor was a nice touch - drip or filter American coffee being almost unheard of in the U.K.

I was mostly working but I'll echo previous comments about Clerkenwell being a great neighborhood, with lots of bars, coffee shops, and restaurants. There's a Tube stop about a 5-7 minute walk away, so transportation is easy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Zetter whilst you were in London on business, appreciating the design of our rooms and our friendly staff. I hope that we can welcome you back next time on a leisure trip so you have more time to explore all that Clerkenwell has to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed July 12, 2014

went for brunch and its like stepping into a very loved Aunt's sitting room (well I was meeting my nephew!) the attention to the period/quirky detail is exemplary and brought a smile to our faces. The area is very busy with all the different restaurants so this little oasis is easily overmissed (I wouldn't have realised it was a bar/restaurant had my nephew not told me to meet him here). Hence you're out of the madding crowd and its just simply lovely!
We had an excellent brunch and delicious drinks - its quite pricey and perhaps a bit more training with the staff but I'll DEFINITELY come back here to the little secrety place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for lovely review of the Zetter Townhouse, it is great to hear that you found it to be an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of London life! I am delighted that you enjoyed both our food and drink offering, and our small touches which we like to agree make us unique. See you again very soon!
Nacka, Sweden
Reviewed July 10, 2014

A quite nice little hotel in cool Clerkenwell ... if it wasnt for all the annoying details. When we arrived the Ving Key Card system was down since a couple of days. This means you need staff to escort you to your room. One of two elevators was out of order. And being woken up by the fire alarm (false alarm of course) is not my cup of tea.

Other special touches includes staff vacuum cleaning way after 3PM in the afternoon and an in-room safe located at floor level big enough for a cellphone ... that doesnt work.

The room description said, among other things, bathtub and minibar. none of these were present (I like my fridge). The most annoying part of all though was the narrow bed. This was not a regular room, not even a superior but a Deluxe. And still the bed was a UK queen. Want a king size bed like you're used to? Get a Rooftop Superior for some £400.

Other than all the above; nice atmosphere, friendly staff, fast wireless and a nice breakfast (if expensive).

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the extremely noisy hallway coffee machine.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay, of course we are disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced. We are currently in communication with the travel agent you booked through, so you will be hearing from us shortly.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had the room that features in the photo - an apartment at the top of the building with a lovely deck area. In fact, a large lovely deck area, with loungers & seating. We loved it. The room was very good, bathroom reasonable in size. The only things to make it more perfect - somewhere to hang used towels & stuff (not much in the bathroom), and better luggage stowage (isn't this a problem in most rooms - or is it just me with difficult pieces?). We loved the breakfasts, and we loved the care of the staff. The front desk could not have been more helpful or responsive - especially when arranging a taxi. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: If affordable, go the apartments on the roof.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ian- Your review was a delight to read, thank you! The rooftop apartment is a personal favourite of mine and I hope you got to make the most of the deck with this rare July sunshine! I am pleased to read that the team were accommodating with all requests and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is lovely. The stand out feature is the staff. I wrote them a thank you card because I was so impressed. They manage to be personable but professional and make you feel very relaxed. Excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Iain, I am so pleased that our team made your stay with us so memorable and relaxing. Thank you for taking the extra time to leave a thank you card, I know that the team will be delighted with this acknowledgment of their efforts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had a great stay for my wife's birthday, enjoying great cocktails in the bar - with an excellent selection of taxidermy. Loved the late checkout and very friendly and helpful staff. Really felt like welcomed guests rather than customers. Highly recommended - its in a good spot too, near Faringdon station, so very easy to get into town.

Room Tip: Superior Double was excellent - good king sized bed and lovely bathroom (rm 7)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamesPaget
Catifeoglou, Director of Rooms at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your top rated review- it is always so nice to hear that our guests have left happy, particularly when they choose to stay with us for a special occasion. I will ensure your praise for the reception staff is passed on and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Durham
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed for one night at the Zetter Townhouse on business, and what an exceptional place to stay. As I wandered up to the hotel from a busy day on a very hot London evening, the area was buzzing with people drinking outside the bars, eating and wandering around - feels like a village. Then the Townhouse set back from the road on the cobbles, a compelling building with a beautiful facade. Inside is small, cosy, eclectic and welcoming. Sofas and comfie chairs are in order, with people chattering in a relaxing environment. The bedroom is lovely, different, a bit quirky in that very trendy way with everything you need. Room service was quick and good, breakfasts were lovely - informal seating, high quality continental with excellent service.

Room Tip: I loved being at the front of the building with views across the square. It was still quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Catifeoglou, Operations Director at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for such a delightful read- you have truly captured the essence of the Townhouse and I am pleased that all aspects of your stay met your expectations. I do hope that we can welcome you back next time that you are in the area, both for business or leisure.