“Breathtaking”

Ranked #103 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed at the Zetter Townhouse and the entire experience is breathtaking. This is not a cheap accommodation option by any means but the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies. The staff are friendly and helpful and when you enter the hotel its like stepping back in time. The finishing touches and attention to detail set this apart from any hotel I have ever stayed in before. Its also a fantastic place to explore London from. Lots of pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David S
Brian T, General Manager at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thank you very much for staying and for taking the time to review your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I had high expectations of the Zetter when I went to stay there in March. The rooms are small, just like elsewhere in London and there is a marked difference between the hotel and the townhouse. Would recommend the townhouse any day over the hotel.

The courtesy is exceptional and the location is great, but the price definitely seems on the higher side.

Room Tip: Select the Townhouse. The hotel rooms might feel a letdown
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Madban
Brian T, General Manager at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Zetter. Thank you too for your kind comments about our staff and service. We are delighted to read that we took good care of you.

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy the design or the rooms at The Zetter.

Whilst our style of service and values are the same at both properties, we do understand that the design between both properties is very different. We do seem to have an equal number of our guests who prefer either The Townhouse or The Zetter.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon for a stay with us across in The Zetter Townhouse. Additionally we do have Roof Top rooms across at The Zetter and I am sure you would love the look and feel of these.

Thank you for reviewing your experience with us.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great location (handy for Gatwick with direct train to Farringdon). The rooms are compact comfortable and stylish, service is friendly, and efficient, the location is quiet and airy. I've stayed here several times since it opened, and it never disappoints. The restaurant is also very good, at any time of the day. Like the free water in the rooms. Bathrooms are spacious, with good showers. Love all the design touches.

Room Tip: Any room facing the square.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Sarah,

We love that we are your favourite Hotel in London and thank you for staying with us as often as you do.

Thank you so much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

There are relatively few hotels with character and style in this part of the City so the Zetter wins without much competition. The welcome at Reception was good, professional and helpful as the young lady showed me to my room (I carried heavy suitcase + laptop, she merely pressed the lift button and opened the door. What happened to equality?). The room was colourful but not over large for the deluxe price of £318 incl vat. In fact, I often think boutique is a trendy word for cramped and I was reminded of this when whacking my head on a metal cross bar on exiting the shower. Really missed my cup of early morning tea as no facilities to be found despite my 30 min long midnight search. The double bed was certainly comfortable and the designer had done well to keep out all that extraneous London noise in the wee small hours. The overhead reading lights were not well positioned so my required studies fell by the wayside. It was an interesting experience but glad that my bill was being settled by others.

Room Tip: Go for the back rooms (north) as the square is less noisy than Clerkenwell Road at the front.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Brian,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Zetter. We are happy that you enjoyed our character and style at The Zetter, as well as your comfy and quiet room.

We are deeply sorry and disappointed to read that we did not offer to carry your luggage for you. Assurances that this is not our usual standard of service and I will personally be sharing your experience with our team.

Our sincere apologies as we also should have pointed out to you that we do offer Complimentary Tea and Coffee to all our guests and we do have Coffee Machines located on each floor at the end of the passages.

This year we are also actually planning a soft refurb to our rooms at The Zetter and will be looking to incorporate Tea and Coffee facilities into all our bedrooms.

I have written to you personally and hope that we can invite you back one day to The Zetter.

Thank you very much for all your comments, which we have duly noted and appreciate.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I certainly looks good, i stayed at a rooftop room and had a really big terrace which if it were not really cold it would have been ideal. The rooms are cool looking, great design and shapes

Bad: rug was pink so it didnt look very clean, in the shower the water just would not go down the drane, it took too long to get it out so if somebody had a shower before you would be standing on their water. Also its quite small, since the shower is on top and it "rains"the water, you have to stay at the center and the curtain sticks to your body, so for XL people would be difficult.
Wifi has password and you can connect up to 2 dispositives, on the last day my laptop was unable to connect.
They charged me 9 pounds for a drink, that night we went to the restaudant and i had one but we charged the whole bill into a room, so its weird that just one drink our of the whole dinner went to a room and the rest to another (which was my theory), but they had no clue, if people look at me with the no clue face, i just say ok charge me, dont want to stand there and wait for them to figure it out (company was paying so its ok.. on my dime, another story). Anyways.. not good that they cant come up with an answer on it or check further, even the manager was at the time, he seemed happy with not digging in.

Still, a good place, is right next door to our office there so commute was eliminated. Walking distance from good places to visit, and cool looking rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian T, General Manager at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for choosing us and for reviewing your experience. We are happy to read that you liked the hotel and your room. We are truly sorry for the lack of attention to detail you mention, which is not the usual high standards we normally pride ourselves in offering to our guests. Please be assured that I am personally addressing these issues with my team. I am also really sorry to read that you left the hotel with a charge on your account, which we did not seem to be able to give you a suitable explanation for. Again this is not normal practice and I have been in touch with you so that we can arrange an immediate refund for the drink. Any queries on charges would be something we would normally investigate fully prior to our guests leaving us.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the Zetter Townhouse on a Saturday night where I had arranged to propose to my girlfriend.

1) Quiet and spacious rooms- we stayed in the Townhouse Apartment which is one of the larger rooms, it was really spacious with great furnishings from the old school telephone to the cocktails shakers in the room that are free to use. The room is facing the front of the hotel which is in a square, but the double glazed windows meant that the room was very quiet with almost no noise from the road outside.The bathroom was very spacious with room for a separate shower, bath and a dressing table.

2) Location- Clerkenwell is a fantastic location, with really easy access to both the City of London and the West End. There are also some great restaurants in the area, and we had a delicious brunch at the Modern Pantry which is directly next door to the hotel.

3) Staff were so helpful and friendly- all the staff were so accommodating of my every request. They were genuinely excited for me and this really added to the experience.

4) Amazing cocktail lounge- One of the benefits of staying at the hotel is guaranteed reservation and the Townhouse cocktail lounge which is one of the top drinking spots in London.

This hotel is unique in London, it is quirky but at the same time very homely which we loved. If you want a big brand name corporate hotel then this is not for you. If you are looking for something a little different with easy access to central London and really hospitable atmosphere, then I can't recommend the Zetter Townhouse enough.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Townhouse apartment, very spacious room and also enormous bathroom.
1 Thank AyDee88
Delighted you chose The Zetter Townhouse for such a special occasion. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your experience and The Townhouse Apartment. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.
Edinburgh, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have to say that I'm not the world's biggest fan of London. It's a cluttered, busy place that after a few days has really started to bug me. But to be honest that was before I stayed for a couple of nights in Clerkenwell at the Zetter. For me the location just works perfectly, a welcome escape from the true bustle of the city centre - Sunday night coming out of a restaurant in Soho, walking through the morass of people in Leicester Square to the tube, then popping out in the calm of Farringdon, was just superb.

Situated just 5-10 minutes by foot from Farringdon Station, depending on how quickly you hoof it, you're never that far from travelling around the city, but if you want to hang around the area there is more than enough by way of restaurants and bars to satisfy your needs. We ate in St John's Bar one night, just 5 minutes walk away, and had lunch in the opposite direction in Exmouth Market the day after. Even walking to the river on a relaxed Saturday morning was achieved in less than half an hour, through Smithfield Market, past the Museum of London, and onward to London and Tower Bridges via St Paul's.

The hotel itself is nicely appointed (perhaps even just recently having had a lick of paint), and while our room on the second floor, with its brick wall painted black, and dubious art on there, was perhaps lacking in storage space (one very very slim wardrobe and a couple of teeny drawers by the bed) it was facing into the square behind (looking across at the Townhouse and cocktail bar) and was quiet and comfortable (with really effective aircon).

The included continental breakfast was great, a variety of pastries and cereals giving a boost to the start of the day, and the staff were all perfectly friendly and welcoming. No doubt about it, next time we're in London it'll likely be the first hotel I look at availability for. So. Why only 4 stars and not 5?

I present to you three small, but slightly annoying, niggles.

Firstly (and this may now be standard practice in the Big Smoke), for each night £50 is charged to your card for 'extras'. This is to cover anything from the snacks and drinks in your room, or anything from the vending machines located on the floors, or things like a cooked breakfast or whatever. This is then 'refunded' to you at the end of your stay (though as is the case with refunds this will often take a day or two to reach your account). I can't find mention of this on the hotel's website (it might be buried in the smallprint T&Cs), and while for a two night stay this was only a £100 inconvenience, for a longer period it could become prohibitive - though you'll only find that out when you check in.

Secondly, on our second morning, having had our included continental breakfast and coffee my wife was asked if she wanted another coffee, which she accepted. It wasn't mentioned at the time that this is one of those 'extras' that comes off the £50 you've deposited with the hotel. Yep, you're only granted one coffee with your breakfast, after that you must pay.

And lastly, along with the vending machines on every floor there is a coffee machine. Now this time it's complimentary, but note that it's on the 'floor', not 'in the room'. This might only be for the smaller rooms, where space is at more of a premium, but if you want that late-night coffee, or morning wake-me-up, you're going to have to pop out.

All in all, it's a fabulous building, with really good (if occasionally small) rooms, friendly staff, and in the perfect location if you don't mind jumping on the underground to get about, or a nice stroll. And if you know about the 'extras' in advance, well then nothing will come as a surprise.

1 Thank anthbike
Brian T, General Manager at The Zetter Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience. We are happy to read that you enjoyed the area, the hotel and our inclusive breakfast offer.

We have been in touch with you separately so that we can investigate why there would have been such a long delay to refund your card provided for incidentals. We usually only authorise a credit card on arrival for incidental charges and this authorisation is released should you not consume any extras.

However, if any guests prefer to use Debit cards on arrival, we do have a different procedure in place to that of credit cards as Banks to handle the release of authorisations in a very different way to credit cards. We do advise our guests in advance of our procedures and these are detailed on our confirmations.

We have noted your comments about storage space in our rooms as well as our Tea & Coffee facilities only being available in the passages. We are in the process of looking into upgrading all our rooms and having this option incorporated into our bedroom design.

Thank you so much for your comments, which are very important to us.

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.