“Family climb”

The Monument to the Great Fire of London
Ranked #154 of 1,861 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A permanent reminder of the Great Fire of 1666, the Monument commemorates one of the most famous events in London's history. Standing regally on the piazza between Fish Street Hill and Monument Street, the 202ft column designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Dr Robert Hooke, celebrates the City which rose from the ashes. The Monument invites you to climb its 311 spiral steps and enjoy one of the best views over the City.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was a fun but tiring experience. Girls ages 12 and 15 with us parents. Climbing tight spiral staircase was an adventure. Although tiring climbing 311 steps, we are glad we did it. Small area to rest within climb but tricky with people descending. A little out of the way. Great significance. Not for ill health or people in poor shape. Very glad we experienced it. Really did not take more than 15 minutes to climb. Get a certificate upon exit which was nice. Small fee. Picture taking once reach top.

1  Thank RoseAng2girls
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)
All reviews
"tall buildings"
in 24 reviews
"worth the effort"
in 35 reviews
"great views from the top"
in 15 reviews
in 17 reviews
"piece of history"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you are fit enough I would definitely recommend going to the top of the Monument, it's a fun experience going up the spiral staircase and the views at the top are stunning!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

my wife and I teamed up with our son and niece to climb the stairway of this piece of London history, it is a challenge for those like me that are not as fit as the younger ones, but we made it to the top, the views were stunning as many have said.
the stairway is a tight fit with people coming and going but that's half the fun of it stopping and saying hello to those you let pass.
at 3 quid it is well worth it, so give it a try you will not regret it

1  Thank Neil F
Reviewed July 14, 2013

But I never got around to it until now, in my 50s. I love a challenge of hundred's of spiral steps to get to the top of a tower. It's a really challenging climb - I had to stop several times, and I'm pretty fit. If you suffered from claustraphobia you'd find it a real challenge. There was only just enough room to climb past people. Admittedly, I had a small ruck sack on my back, but larger people would have difficulty here.

Very good value for the low cost to get in. Lovely views from the top. I wouldn't recommend it to replace the London Eye, but I would highly recommend this visit in addition, for those who want brilliant views.

Excellent fun and very glad I made the effort.

1  Thank tripjunkie1
See more reviews
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was probably one of the best attractions I went to in London. To start its £3 but i got £1 off for being a student and another £1 as i had a discount vouchwer so it cost me £1 (i spent more on a coffee in Starbucks at the bottom. The stair case is great fun, any reviews calling it terrible as "its too tiring" are just lazy people who need more exercise (sadly this attraction cannot be enjoyed by disabled people). The next best thing was the view, like some reviews said this could rival the London eye, you have a great view of the city, tower of London, tower bridge, canary wharf and more! The staff at the bottom (cockney geezers) where very friendly, they wanted to give you discount and they give out certificates at the bottom.

I would absolutely recommend it - I understand that some people with disabilty cant enjoy this attraction such as people in wheel chairs and people with breathing problems, pregnant people ect, which is the only problem with this attraction - but apart from that its great!

1  Thank Thomas678