“Perfect in every way”

Ranked #177 of 1,063 Hotels in London
DK
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Stayed here for 7 days, and was very pleased with every aspect of my stay, would definately use this hotel again when i'm back in London. I picked the hotel after reading the reviews on this site and competing sites, and i must say, all the top notch reviews was right in every way. Yes, the Blackfriars Subway is closed right now but Temple is just 10 min walking away.
I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, they even have their own Michelin-grade restaurant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We visited the Crowne Plaza London - The City, for a break away from our busy businees and demanding children. The welcome by the staff was simply perfect and we soon had our car taken away to secure parking and were in the bar relaxing.
The room was clean and very well presented and overall the stay could not have been better, apart from the local tube station not being closed!
We would certainly stay at this hotel again in the future.
S and T Stanley

Durham
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Check in was a bit of a nightmare due to a big problem with the booking agency - they neglected to pay the hotel!!! However, the reception staff - Charlotte was superb, she assured me that it would be sorted and upgraded me to a junior suite after it appeared that the room I had booked and paid for via the agency (an executive/club) was not the booking the hotel had.
The room was superb, clean a huge bed and a sofa bed that was more than adequate. Bathroom was wonderful.
Breakfast was lovely, plenty of fresh fruit, cereal and cooked breakfast.
The concierge staff were very helpful, going up onto the main road to get you a taxi etc..
This trip was the first to London for my 6 year old son and because it was in the city, the hotel and its surrounding area was quiet over the weekend which made it great for us. The london eye was a 10 minute walk and covent garden about 15 mins.
This is the best london hotel I have stayed in, the staff make it the best - outstanding.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
NJ
Reviewed May 23, 2010

My room-
When checking in my wife and I were given the option to upgrade to a club room. They offered us this upgrade for 30 pounds per night extra. At first I was a little annoyed because I am a platinum priority club member (which is why the upgrade was 30, usually it is closer to 70 or 80) and have always received all of my upgrades for free in the states. But I also realized that things were probably different in Europe. So, I decided to cough up the extra 30 pounds per night and after seeing what came w/ the upgrade I was a little more understanding as to why I was charged. You get free breakfast, free movies on demand in your room, free internet, free snacks/drinks all day long and free beer and wine from about 6pm until midnight! And I almost forgot, they put out top shelf hard alcohol from about 6-9pm. Well worth the money!
Location-
Overall the location of this hotel was good but probably not great. Since they're doing construction on the Blackfriars train station, it's about a 7-9 minute walk to the nearest station. Not a big deal but after a full day or a few full days of walking those 9 minutes really do matter! But still the location is definitely not a deal breaker.
Staff-
Can't say enough good things about the entire staff at this hotel. From check in to check out to the concierge (3 different ones), everyone was extrememly helpful. I travel a lot for work and I'd have to say that the service I received at this hotel was up there w/ the best.
Overall-
I would definitely recommend this hotel and also recommend holding off on booking the club room (just book a regular room) because you might be able to negotiate a little on the price when you get to the hotel.
By the way in case you haven't already heard, the underground system in London is very easy to navigate. It is by far the best/easiest way to get around. Cost is around 5 pounds for an all day pass.

1 Thank feef0101
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Weirdest room I stayed in - virtually no view - seemed like I was looking across at the hotel corridor
It is a nice hotel for the business traveler - comfortable and decent levels of service - if you can ignore the weird feeling of having no view
The dining options are not bad - but breakfast is rather average- not many good options
The funniest thing was me landing there after around 10 hours of flying - and having this receptionist explain to me for over 5 minutes on how good it would be for me to sign up for the frequent membership program. It took her a minute to check me in after that
Those who trained her that people who are checking in are good candidates for this obviously did not point out to her that it helps to check if they are bleary eyed - in which case you might as well drop the subject
Of course if business brings me here I would stay, since its a assembly line hotel - consistent and no major blips but on my own money possibly never

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Derby
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza City hotel for my birthday. We had reserved a Club room and was offered many upgrade options on checking in, but as the club room was sufficient we didn't upgrade. However a few seconds later we were told that we had a complimentary upgrade to the King Studio room and that breakfast would be included in the main resturant (not the club lounge) and that all in room entertainment was free (didn't know on booking that club rooms and above don't charge for the movies).
When we entered the room I had a lovely surprise of chocolates and a birthday card from the hotel, which was a very nice touch.
The room itself was very nice and big, dvd player, ipod dock, desk, sofa.
I would definately stay at the CP City again.
There's not a huge amount in the local area, and Blackfrairs tube station is closed until 2012 (the mainline station is open, we found getting a mainline train from St Pancras was not only quicker than the tube, but also loads cheaper).
With Blackfrairs being closed the closest tube station is a good 10-15 mins stroll, but a nice walk along the river Themes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We stayed at this hotel early May 2010.

We had two bookings, one night using Priority Club points in a std room and two nights paying in King Studio Jnr Suite. The hotel upgraded us to a suite for the first night also which was very nice of them.

Over the 4 days we found all the staff on the front desk to be very nice, and very helpful.

The room itself was large, and the bed was super comfortable. The room was also spotless (very clean). The internet and any pay movies in our room were also free to watch anytime, this was handy as one of the days it rained most the day.

The club lounge was good, a limited selection of canapés but we made good use of the complimentary beer and spirits each night. We also used it through the day for soft drinks and water etc.

We had breakfast downstairs each day and the selection of hot and cold food was great.

The nearest train station is Temple which was about 10 minutes walk, we are a young couple so didn't mind the walk. The train station across the road from the hotel is closed, but will be a good spot when it re-opens.

We paid an extra 25GBP to checkout at 5PM instead, which was handy to have an extra shower and freshen up before our long flight back home.

Overall we were very happy and the hotel was better than we expected.