We took our 7 year old Grandson for his first trip to London, for a week trip, over the February half term. We booked with the Hilton Hotel Groups booking service using their talk to me messaging service, on their web site, after asking what the best deals were for central London, at the best price for 2 nights stay. This booking service was great and allowed us to check out reviews of the hotels that they recommended, by looking them up on Trip Advisor. We got a stunning deal of 2 nights for the price of one in a spacious Club room that had 2 double beds - a luxury room at an incredible rate (cheaper than staying at a Travel Lodge!).
From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated as though we were really special. Our grandson was over the the moon with how helpful the porter was as we entered the hotel and said - "wow it's just like like being royalty with your own servants". He availed himself, a couple of times, to calling room service to get extra biscuits, tea and milk and we have to say that all the staff were faultless on every occasion we need to call on them. Planning visits or getting tickets to places was a dream because the concierge let us use the Internet PC's in the business centre - if they were not able to do direct bookings themselves.
We didn't bother with breakfast at the hotel as it was an extra £22 per person for English - which to be honest was not at all a good deal. But as we new this when we booked, we were not all bothered about this. There were loads of good eateries just around the corner in Fleet Street and even by St Paul's Cathedral, which were less than a five minute walk away. You could have a full English for less than £6 and a lovely Continental breakfast, for some what less. On the Sunday morning we had breakfast at Paul's Bakery, next to the Cathedral for £17 all in, for the 3 of us and it was delightful, with home made breads filled with fine ingredients. Oddly, though, you could get a 2 course evening meal at the Hotel's posh restaurant for less than £11 per person - although we didn't get a chance to try this out and verify the standard it looked good.
If you want to grab an excellent pint of beer and have a really good taste of English food, then soak up the atmosphere at the Old Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street - it's a must do experience and the open fires were great to huddle around, on the first night when it was a little chilly outside. The Blackfriars Pub directly opposite the hotel is also a cosy bolt hole with good beer and unbelievably reasonably priced, very quaffable house wine. Plus it has a stunning evening view of the London Eye and the OXO Tower, which shine out brightly across the Thames Embankment, if you sit at the outside tables!
BUT what really made the week end GREAT was the stay at the hotel itself - pampered luxury at a knock down price in a very, very pleasant area of the city. We can't wait to go again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel provides perfect accommodation in central London near local attractions such as The London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral and Buckingham Palace. This luxury hotel also offers meeting rooms, gym, spa facilities and a Michelin star restaurant. The Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel is a modern central London hotel, located in the heart of the city. This deluxe London hotel is just a stone's throw away from Blackfriars mainline train station, with a direct connection to the Eurostar terminal at St. Pancras International. For tubes, the Crowne Plaza hotel is equally well located: just a short walk to Temple & Mansion House on the District & Circle Line, or St Paul's on the Central Line. Whether you're in London for business or sightseeing, this London City Centre hotel is ideally located, minutes away from some of London's most famous attractions: The London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral, Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern & West End theatres. Crowne Plaza Club rooms, King Studios and Suites are available at your request. And all rooms are air-conditioned and have High Speed Internet Access. There's also a Fitness Club with sauna in the hotel should you wish to work out and wind down. While you're here, don't forget to eat at our Rosette awarded restaurants; Diciannove offers authentic Italian food including a variety of freshly made pasta, whilst and at Chinese Cricket Club you can enjoy fresh dim sum and Sichuan specialties. The easiest and most exciting way to do some sightseeing in London city centre is to take a trip on the London Eye. On a clear day, you can see as far as the Queen's other residence, Windsor Castle! The Crowne Plaza London City Hotel is only minutes away from the London Eye. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, IHG, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza London The City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel London
- Crowne Plaza The City
- Crowne Plaza London City
- Crowne Plaza London The City England