“This hotel made our trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza London - The City

Crowne Plaza London - The City
Ranked #184 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Telford, United Kingdom
“This hotel made our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Stayed last weekend with my younger sister. It was my second time visiting London and her first and after we left the first thing my sister said to me was "the hotel was the highlight for me" which goes to show how much we both loved it.

It took us a while to find the hotel, but this was due to both of us getting lost. Once we arrived we were checked in by a very friendly lady who helped us a lot. The lobby and outside areas (back and front) were both spotless and very welcoming. The smoking area was one of the best I have seen, very comfortable chairs and very clean.

The room was on the third floor and had two heavenly double beds! The mattress and pillows made you feel like you were sleeping on clouds. The room was spacious with lovely big windows and very clean. The complimentary bottles of water really did make us feel welcomed. We needed them after strolling around two hours trying to find the hotel!! I found the air con easy to use and the bathroom had a deep bath which is always a bonus.

We had room service and the food was delicious and arrived quickly. We didn't eat breakfast but if the room service menu was anything to go by I'm sure its delicious too! Looking at the menu in the room for it there was a very wide selection.

Having said this, the real thing that made our stay was the staff. Everyone single one of them were extremely helpful and you could tell it wasn't because they had to be but because they wanted to be. I would like to say a big thank you to Lee who works on the desk to help people with transport. He helped us find private transportation for us to and from our concert (which being only 20 and 17 relieved us immensely) and explained clearly what we should do if we wanted anything changing. He even took 5 minutes out of his time to ask us with sincerity what it was we going to see and made pleasant conversation with us about the band which meant a lot.

Overall, we will definitely stay here and recommend it to everyone we know whose going to stay in London. Oh and another great thing, there's a very small Tesco express next door which is always handy :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank zolososo
Marli S, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear dmjb1311,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and found the service delivered by the team to be consistently high.
Your compliments have been passed on to our team members, in particular to Lee - a true star in our team.
There is not too much to respond to other than saying thank you and come back again soon.

Senior Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Fabulous room and views from our Suite at the weekend. Club lounge great for snacks, drinks and continental breakfast as long as not busy. We were very lucky on both occasions just one other couple so enjoyed the lounge. Suite had a dining table n 4 chairs, lounge area with great views of St Paul's and the Shard and the bedroom views over Blackfriars and Tate Modern. The only issue was that the Suite had a terrible smell of cigarettes,we didn't complain as just one night stay and the views were too good to move rooms. Chinese Cricket Club excellent as usual and service good at check in with express check in quick.

Room Tip: 703 Suite, corner Suite with great views
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MaggieBryant
Dear MaggieBryant,

Thank you very much for your amazing review following your visit to Crowne Plaza London - The City.
I am happy to read you did enjoy you stay and the amazing views from the suite.
On your next visit to our hotel, please let us know your preferences (non smoking) to ensure you enjoy the visit.

Kind Regards,

Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

We are a family of three who stayed here four nights over Easter 2014. First impressions were good. The lobby was being refurbished so it was closed off but this didn't have any impact on our impression of the hotel. We had a room that faced out onto the internal courtyard with two double beds. The room was well appointed and the beds comfy with good pillows.

We found the room to be hot and stuffy and were unable to work out how to improve this, but then we didn't contact staff for assistance so we can't complain too much about that.

The main reason we would never stay here again, was the noise during the early hours of Sunday morning of doof doof music which came blaring up into our fifth floor room for what felt like an eternity. Really really unhappy about that. Looking back now at other reviews on Trip Advisor I see others have had the same complaint and I wish I had seen them before I booked this hotel through British Airways. I have stayed at Crowne Plazas before and always had a positive experience so I didn't bother to check the reviews for this hotel before booking but won't make that mistake again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BrusselsKat_m
Dear BrusselsKat_m,

Thank you very much for your message on Trip Advisor following your visit to our hotel.

Feedback like your enable us to target areas that need improvement or changes, and I am happy to inform that we have reviewed our contract with the promoters in charge of the Saturday's night party.

We have now reduced the amount of days contracted, and also reviewed the level of noise/ music allowed in the venue.

I do hope you reconsider you decision and will give us an opportunity to be at your service once again.

Kind Regards,

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

My first trip to London in over 10 years and spent days looking for a hotel checking out cost and location. I ended up here and I was really glad. I ended up with a corner room (room 227) that was roomy, spacious, and had a lot of sun. It was fun to wake up in the morning and look out the window to see the city wake up before my eyes. The club lounge on the 6th floor was well worth it with the different amenities if offered. I would stay here again because of it. The gym is small but good for a work out. It has the usual free weights, tread mill, and eliptical machine. The room came with a radio and a device for charging your cell phone or i-pad if you forgot your charger at home. I had a number of early wake up calls where some mornings I received two calls several minutes apart to make sure I got up. I really appreciated that since I have at times picked up the phone, turned over, and returned to bed.

It is right across from the Blackfriar train and underground so it very easy to get around town. The Victoria embankment is close by for walks along the Thames. St Paul's is less than 10 minutes away. Fleet street is also nearby with pubs, cafes, and places to eat. The Millennium bridge is nearby for a visit to the Tate Modern.

I would stay here again my next visit to London.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little quieter and you get a lot of windows for a lot of natural light.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Joe T
Dear Joe T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza London - The City. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and I hope our hotel will be your choice when staying in London for many years to come.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We were visiting London for just one night to take in a couple of shows, good food etc. Location of the hotel is great as it's near the river, near St Paul's, and also right opposite Blackfriars tube station.

We were there late morning but managed to get checked in and into our room straight away, so credit to the lovely reception staff for sorting this ... we also got an upgrade to a club room too!

Room was spot on, comfy bed, lots of pillows, bathroom and amenities all of good quality.

Breakfast was just lovely ... I wish I wasn't feeling so full from a late night the night before!!!

Managed to arrange a late checkout too, so was great to be able to go back to the room and freshen up before heading back home on the train.

All in all, you can't ask for more from a hotel! Would recommend to anyone visiting London.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TobesUK
Dear TobesUK,

Thank you for taking the time to review your 5 night stay with us. We were delighted to read from your review that you had an enjoyable stay and found the service and facilities very much to your liking.
Thank you again for the review.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Visited the hotel on bank holiday monday, its a fantastic location very near to the Thames. We took a stroll to Somerset House and Covent Garden, about a 15-20 minute walk along the Victoria Embankment. The Hotel itself is smart, the rooms very comfortable with all the amenities you expect from IGH hotels. We even got an aromatherapy kit, which was very nice. The staff were very kind and helpful, couldn't do enough for us. The club lounge was superb with snacks and drinks both hot and cold. Thanks to all for making it a lovely stay for us!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear margirathbone,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. The team and I are delighted that you had a great stay and found the hotel very much to your liking. We hope that moving forward we will be your preferred choice when staying in London.
Thank you again for the review.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

When you are travelling on business you tend not to notice the good aspects of your trips as you are focused on business and the bad points are just irritation. I can say I went to all my meetings in a positive frame of mind thanks to the welcoming and personal touches in this hotel.
From the minute i arrived the receptionist could sense how tired I was so she checked me in efficiently and fast. Club lounge personal were welcoming and interested in what I was doing and the doorman ran off to find me a taxi. What more can I say "Great hotel - great team"

Room Tip: get upgraded and use the club lounge. Better still pay the little extra - its worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Ray F
Dear Ray F,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. The team and I are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found the hotel both regarding its location and service very much to your liking. I am particularly pleased that you found the service provided by the team to be very much to your liking.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Best Regards,