“Incompetent Reception Staff”

Ranked #177 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Incompetent Reception Staff”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Good location and reasonable room standard, let down by poor service at reception, unable to provide a simple receipt after three requests 2 while checking out and again after staying here and reconciling expenses

Excellent bar with good atmosphere

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ExecOffices, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Robert33150,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay, we will be following up with the matter as a priority. I am pleased that you enjoyed our new destination bar, Voltaire.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Charlotte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at Crowne Plaza London the City for initially one night stay. Having previously stayed at this hotel my family and myself were confident that the hotel would meet the standards it set the last time we visited.
Disappointed is not even the right word to describe what ended up happening. Upon arrival we were told that only one of the three rooms were available for us even though we arrived at 2pm. The room that I was in did not have access to a safe which perhaps was not too bad but to find when I had returned at 10:30 at night that my door had not actually been shut properly is quite worrying. My parents were put into a disabled room which had low hooks in the bathroom. This resulted in there clothes getting dirty and wet. My grandparent's room was cleaned twice before she had actually checked out which made her feel uncomfortable.
These may seem trivial errors however I ended up stopping an extra night which has turned out to be a major mistake.

My father booked the room for me in person and informed the receptionist that I was arriving later. They offered him free add-ons including the special lounge. The transaction went through and my parents went back up North happy. When I came to check in however the card had suddenly declined and they were asking me to produce the card. When I told him that my father had the card and he was at home up north and in bed they were prepared to throw me out of the hotel. In the end i rung up my father who loaned me the money to put it on my debit card. My card ended up in the card machine no less than 5 times because of a 'computer error'. In this space of an hour I was made to stand at the main reception and was made to feel like a criminal. They offered me a complimentary hour later check out to apologise for this problem. I went up to my room not knowing that my dad had paid for these extras that they had 'forgotten' to tell me about.
The next morning I came down from my late check in to find that issue had still not be resolved. I checked my bank account and thought that crowne plaza had taken the money out of my account already. I had money missing and started to think I had had my card hacked into with £500 gone. I told them that my card did now not have the available funds on it so I had to ring my parents up again. They rung the bank and the problem was soon resolved; the receptionists had been stating that the card holder was present even though he was hundreds of miles away. Furthermore, again I was made to stand in front of the reception like some naughty child. With the problem being them not the card. Standing the meant that I became late to go to see a show I had paid for. Having this late checkout meant I spent another half an hour at reception because they could not correctly do the necessary admin duties required for the job.
I went away thinking I had had my card hacked into and disappointed by crowne plaza. When I rung my bank up to ask what had happened to this money it turned out that Crowne Plaza had made the initial booking the Saturday of £225 and £50 deposit. The other £225 was because they had made the same booking AGAIN on my card. I had paid for two rooms and my dad in the end paid for two rooms. I asked for this money to immediately be released because as far as I was concerned they had stolen money from me and I had bills to pay in upcoming days. After endless phone calls and 'I will call you back's (which never materialised) and four days of waiting I finally have my money back.
Total incompetence has meant that I will have to pay for phone calls and bank charges. And they expect that give me some worthless points and the possibility of an upgrade is the best possible outcome to their mistake they can think again. Why would I want to waste my time giving them my money. My family spent about £800 there this weekend although they have had in their possession well over a thousand.

Do not use!!!!

P.s I am still waiting a phone call from them I doubt though that it will materialise.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank James S
Dear James S,
I am sorry to hear about your troubles during your recent stay. I have urgently followed up with our management team as this is not the usual service we provide. Somebody will be in contact with you today to look at this issue and rectify it immediately, as I agree this should not have happened.
I hope we can have the chance to welcome you back in the future to show what great service we can provide.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had a lovely room, spacious with comfortable chairs. The hotel was well positioned from the city and easy to get anywhere as it is very near the tube station. The bar is newly refurbished and very good with a nice buzzy atmosphere without being too loud. The food menus in the bar and foyer were good and varied at a reasonable price. altogether excellent and I recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gill M
Dear Gill M,
We would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience of the hotel. It is fantastic to see you visited our new destination Champagne and Cigar bar, Voltaire, and that you enjoyed a meal in our Lobby Lounge.
We hope to see you in the hotel again soon.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the city crowne plaza over a long weekend and was very impressed at the quality of the roome, services and staff. The location being excellent for all transport and is easy to walk to covent garden and borough market. Good for visiting TATE, the shard and London Eye.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel

Room Tip: Opt for the club rooms, excellent value for money.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MinPan59
Dear MinPan59,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Crowne Plaza London - The City. It is great to see that you were impressed with the quality of service our staff provided.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed just one night with my wife (Sat), booked to see show in town. Location easy to find, and quick check in. Checked in early, no problems. It was pretty cold outside, so the warmth of the room was lovely, however we had to turn the heating down later, as it just got too hot and was noisy. Ended up turning off halfway through the night. The room was very nice (twin beds), more like 2 double beds and very comfortable. Concierge was very helpful with directions, bus numbers and stops.
Slept very well, nice and quiet. Breakfast was very good, with a wide selection, this was included in our price.
Mini bar in room, very expensive, but you would expect that here, so didn't use.
I got 4 beers from local shop, just around corner from hotel, same price as 1 beer in hotel.
Tip: If you move any bottles from the mini bar fridge, it is recorded and you are assumed to have used the mini bar on checking out.
It is a nice location for staying at, if you are going to the theatre or visiting the attractions in London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin N,
Thank you for taking the time to comments on your recent stay with your wife at the hotel. I am delighted that you found the location was easy to find and that you had a quick check in. Thank you for your kind words regarding our Concierge team - I will be sure to pass this on.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed as most of the recent reviews on a promotional rate which was exceptional value for money.

We had a family room on 1st floor (internal) with 2 double beds absolutely gorgeous and plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The room was very hot which seems to be a common fault of internal rooms (practically perfect). My sister and brother in law had another room just around the corner which faced a side street and did seem a lot cooler (even though the window didn't open).

I don't like lifts so used the stairs which are hidden away and used mainly by the staff, so you need to ask at reception and they will guide you to them.

We did take the drinks out of the mini bar and put our own drinks in, informed reception of this and the cost was immediately deducted from the bill. Plenty of places near by to eat breakfast.

All in all I would recommend the Crowne Plaza and would definately return when another promotion is running.

First Class

Room Tip: Ask for a room with external window
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank susan2097
ExecOffices, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - The City, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear susan2097,
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us at Crowne Plaza London - The City. I am glad you enjoyed your time and we found the hotel good value for money.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We took advantage of a special deal to stay for £20.12 for room only. the hotel is in a great location for central london. There was also the option of a free film or wifi on check in which is good as wifi does come at a premium when staying at a hotel. For the price i have no complaints at all the room was quiet which is an achievement given it looked out onto a main road and the bed very comfortable. Would go back when another deal comes up

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear katie66Uk,
I am delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us recently and that you found the room comfortable.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.