“Terrible night's sleep”

Ranked #34 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Terrible night's sleep”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed in the Eastside part, facing over a small park area. The room is basic and has everything you need except a tv. The rooms were hot and there was no air con, so I used a fan.

I couldn't get to sleep at night as there was a bar outside and I could hear every word people were saying until about midnight when I must have eventually fallen asleep. Then at 1am I got woken up by a false fire alarm. We all had to stand outside for about half an hour. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy my stay.

I had breakfast which was quite a walk from Eastside and was awful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank HeatherUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manchester
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed in Beit Hall, on Prince Consort road, it is about 15 mins walk to South Ken and has loads of buses on Kensington Gore - 5 mins walk away. Rooms are basic but clean, the bathroom is small and shower compact! But for £40 a night including a generous breakfast ( 5 cooked items, cereal, fruit and yoghurt, juice and toast) for £40 right opposite Kensginton Gardens, you can't go wrong really!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ManchesterNumpty
Essex
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I have stayed at Imperial on many occasions and been really satisfied. This time I was due to stay a night for the Proms and decided to stay the previous night as well. Not realising I could have amended the original booking, I just booked another night and when I arrived, asked the receptionist to give me a room for the two nights. She was able to do this, remarking that it would be "less of a faff" for me than having to change rooms. What an irony!

The next afternoon I arrived back after the day in town and found my room cleared. I went down to reception and was given a polybag containing my belongings - the cleaner had assumed I had checked out, despite the room being full of my things, including my Proms season ticket in the wardrobe.

I got back to the room (five floors each time) to realise that everything of mine in the bathroom had disappeared. These had apparently been thrown away - the usual policy, I was told. These included my toilet bag, perfume, expensive French face cream, the lot.

Later in the afternoon, when getting ready to go to the concert, I found that a small tapestry bag which had been in the wardrobe had not been returned to me. I assume that the cleaner had taken a fancy to that.

What kind of a set-up is it when the housekeeping staff don't bother to check with reception before clearing things out???

The young people on reception were all very polite and suitably shocked, but my few days away were completely ruined.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank MontpellierOne
belfast
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Having read some of the reviews posted here, it was with some trepidation we approached Beit Hall where we had an en-suite twin booked. Beit Hall is a splendid building literally behind the Royal Albert Hall. It is a square shaped building with an internal quadrangle. Some of the rooms look into this quadrangle, others to the side, some to the street.

We received a warm welcome. Check-in was friendly and efficient with detailed information about the facilities and the route to the Sherfield Building where the full breakfast is served in the Senior Common Room. DO NOT be put off by the whingers who have complained about having to walk somewhere else for breakfast. It is only a few minutes from the Beit building and worth it as the Senior Common Room is on the first floor with views onto the Queens Tower and Lawn, part of Imperial College’s campus. The breakfast is self service (you get a voucher card) and is substantial, perfectly acceptable and will set you up for a day's sighseeing or business.

Check-in does not start until 2pm, but there are easy chairs and vending machines close by for anyone early and having to wait. At the end of your stay check-out is 10.00am, but there are baggage storage facilities which can be used.

Having been handed our keys we set off to find our room. It can seem a wee bit confusing at first but you soon learn to navigate you way around. The best surprise was on opening the door to our room (147). The room was enormous! It was bigger than either by own bedroom, or living room, at home. There was an entrance hall with two large wardrobes on one side and a small bathroom on the other. A bed on either side of the room with a desk and computer seat for each person was complemented by two easy chairs by the window. The desks had tea and coffee and bottled water on trays with kettle. Rushing to the large window we found we were looking out over the rear steps which descend from the Royal Albert Hall onto Prince Consort Road. Testing the beds we found firm mattresses and everything was spotless. Of course there was a little ‘wear and tear’ in the carpets and chairs etc. but it is, after all, student accommodation and didn’t bother us at all. We loved the view. We sat and giggled at the thought many people were probably paying hundreds of pounds more to stay in top London hotels where many of the rooms would not be of such a size. In fact we both decided we could quite happily live in this room!

The bathroom was small, painted pure white, but had a good strong shower, was spotless and perfectly adequate, whether it be a stay of one night or longer. Shower gel, shampoo, shower caps etc were all provided together with one large towel and one small towel per person.

Reception is manned 24/7 and general security seems excellent. All in all Beit House represents truly excellent value for money, bearing in mind what you get and the location in South Kensington. We thoroughly enjoyed it more than some hotels where we have paid two or three times as much in the past. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank drflight
Bonn
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Very good alternative accommodation, clean, central, no air condition, good for a business trip, central

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Southern NJ
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Typical dorm room. No tv. 5£ for Internet for your entire stay. Access to full kitchen area where you can use all appliances and store food. No AC, but each room has a fan. This was not a problem in August. Even when quite hot during the day, it cools down at night. Lots of storage space. The bed is really hard! Bathroom is small, but has a nice size stall shower. Towels are teeny tiny. Location is great! Student pub in the quad has good solid food and big drinks at little prices. Walking distance to 3 museums and harrods. South Kensington tube station just steps away. Can't beat the price.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank SloKnitR
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I booked this SO CALLED HOTEL as a weekend break with theatre included and what a huge disappointment this was! We never knew this was normally a students campus!! We were put in a basement room and told not to worry cos we had a garden. what a load of rubbish, we actually had a secured window that looked out upon loads of weeds. There was no TV and the room was tiny, certainly not the romantic break i was expecting. To top it all we were told to get breakfast we would have to go out the building, down the road and across the road to another building hence we didnt even bother to have breakfast. If we didnt have theatre tickets we would have gone home and not stayed there as id have rather slept in a tent!!!!
DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE UNLESS YOU LIKE LIVING AS A STUDENT AND PAYING OVER £100 FOR IT!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple